Old 03-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Has anyone adopted internationally?
Dh and I have been talking about this more and more. We had hoped to have another child by now, and the fact that we don't certainly plays a factor in this, but we've actually always talked about adopting some day, even before we were married.

We are talking about adopting a little girl from China. Does anyone know anything about this? Any good resources?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
campbellmom549
Knitting the Flap

A friend of my SIL has adopted one girl from China and is waiting to go get her daughter's mei mei (sister). She blogs all about it. Here's a link to her blog. I don't really know Adele well, but I'm sure if you wanted to ask her any questions, she'd be more than happy to answer them. She's just the sweetest person. Just let her know you got her information from Erin's sister-in-law Liz. Good luck!

http://doublehappinessinrichton.blogspot.com/

OTN: Sheldon the Turtle, Mom's Cashmere Gloves, Silver Bells Scarf, Globe Trotter Socks

FO Gallery
Mommy Moments
Photography by Liz

campbellmom549
campbellmom549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
newamy
Working the Gusset

Yes, My 8 y/0 daughter is adopted from Korea. She arrived in our family when she was 4 and 1/2 months old. Our agency was Holt International. They manage Chinese adoptions as well as adoptions from many other countries. Their website is www.holtintl.org. They are a top notch agency and I highly recommend them. As the Holt's founded the concept of international adoption they have helped to set current standards for all international adoption agencies. Their goal is not just to get children adopted but to preserve family units where possible and see to it that all children have homes of their own. They follow high ethical standards and manage to work with the laws of numerous foreign countries.

Adoption is a wonderful experience. I would encourage you to look at other countries in addition to China. China may be the right place for you to adopt from but keep an open mind as your child may be somewhere you least expect. If there is no Holt Agency in your state they probably have a partner agency they work with. We had a very straight forward and wonderful experience with Holt. If we could I wouldn't hesitate to adopt again. You can usually order a packet of information from Holt or another agency. If you are really interested they first thing you do is take a pre-adopt class. This gives you lots of information about the process and the program. It's a rewarding experience to adopt. Our 13 y/o son is biological and he has always loved his sister. Siblings are siblings regardless of how they came to be that way.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
miccisue
Turning the Heel

I know people who have adopted internationally, and most of them have gone through church-sponsored programs. They seem to be very well organized and more reasonable as far as fees, etc. Unfortunately, I can't think of the name of it right now.
And, look into areas like Vietnam as well. China seems to be "the" place people first look into when adopting, but it's my understanding that things are moving slower and slower there and there have been a lot more restrictions and fees put on Chinese adoptions.
Just browsing a site for international adoptions will at least give you an idea of areas to adopt from, general fees, documents required, etc.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I don't know how about US, but here in Israel the whole process costs around 20,000$, so it's only for those that can afford it Anyway, good luck and big
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
My sister is adopted from south Korea. We "got" her when she was 16 months old. She is now 16!!!!
My mom's good friend has adopted from China and Lethowania (sp).

I might be able to get you the information about the agencies they used, but it was quite a while ago!

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote