Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Help with a dog and stairs
Hi all. Since there was another thread about crate training I was wondering if you had any suggestions about dogs and stairs. I'm going to ramble on so I don't blame you if you tune out and don't read this.

We have a 5 year-old yellow Lab (Sunshine). She's a great dog. Doesn't chew anything that isn't hers and rarely has accidents in the house (only if she has an upset tummy while we're out). We don't need to crate her during the day - she just sleeps on the bed until we get home. She's awesome except for the fact that she's a freak with the stairs. She hasn't always been this way. When she was a pup it took us forever to train her to use the stairs, but once she got the hang of them she was off and running.

Over the last few years she has been fine going down the stairs, but won't go up them. (I must insert here that we have a foyer and there are 2 sets of stairs from there - one goes up to the kitchen, dining, living and bedrooms and the other goes down to the family room. It's an actual foyer not like in a raised ranch style home. They each only have 7 stairs).

At first it was only trouble going up the set of stairs from the downstairs part of the house to the foyer. She'd stand at the bottom and whine until my husband or I got up, stand in front of her, then move out of her way and say "get up there" - then she'd run up the stairs. We still have to do this with her. She didn't have a problem with the stairs going to the upstairs part of the house. This tactic does not work for the stairs going to the upstairs.

Now, it's worse on the stairs going up. It's unbearable really. She now spends most of her time in the sunroom off of the foyer because she knows she won't do the stairs. We can't even coax her up with treats (unless it's her dinner, then she'll run up, but not without whining about it for a few minutes). She used to come up while we were eating dinner, but not anymore. She goes out to "her room" (the sunroom) and lays in her bed. I think it depresses her that she can't/won't get up the stairs.

We have doggie doors going to the outside, fenced-in yard, so she can come and go as she pleases when we are home. One door is right at the bottom of the stairs to go up. She crashes through the door, stands with her front paws on the third stair (so she's half-way up the stairs already), but she won't just walk on up. It's ridiculous and we're at our wits end.

We've also been trying to get her to walk up the stairs instead of run up them. She's not interested.

I think she is OCD, but I don't know what to do about it. It's not a problem with her limbs because we've had her checked out by the vet. I don't really want her on medication and my husband doesn't agree with pet drugs for mental issues. He feels there is something that we should be doing to control this behavior ourselves. Something we are missing. We were/are thinking about getting another dog to see if having another dog who'd use the stairs would get her over this. We would like another dog anyway but we keep hemming and hawing over it. It is another expense that we aren't sure we want to take on. And there's always the possibility that another dog would make her worse.

We love her so much but just don't know what to do. If you haven't guessed, she's our baby. I don't think she's overly spoiled just really loved. Any suggestions you may have would be most welcome. I'm thinking about writing to the Dog Whisperer. Seriously. It's breaking our hearts and we miss our old Sunshine.

Thanks in advance.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Perhaps your vet should check her to see if she is getting arthritis or some other joint problems that would cause her to not want to climb the stairs.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

We did have her checked. Everything seemed to be okay. I have had her on 1500mg of glucosomine since last summer for any joint pain, in the off-chance it is arthritis. She's not hobbly at all and runs around just great.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Could be old fashioned laziness

Beyond pain or fear I can't imagine what would cause such behavior.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My knitting blog

Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Probably is "old-fahioned laziness" I know I'm guilty of that from time to time myself. It's certainly not fear of us. She's got it good, believe me. I'm totally coming back in my next life as my dog.

I'm way more patient than my husband is about letting her whine it out. I figure when she gets herself worked up enough to get up the stairs she'll do it. However, even though I say "let her go" my dh cracks before I do and starts working with her on getting up those stairs.

Thanks for reading my sad, sorry saga, KG!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Are there any noises upstairs that frighten her? I know my dog at home and one of my dogs now is a scaredy cat and has from time to time hid out downstairs and come to find out there was a fire detector or some random noise that freaked the dog out. My dog at home avoided stairs for quite sometime after a smoke detector beeped all day long and he was home alone. Our puppy hates the car now b/c ONE time my hubby turned the rear windshield wiper on while she was in there and now 4 months later she still goes the other way when you mention the car. We take her for fun short trips all the time, but she will shake and pant for the first 10min of the drive. Funny how animals remember things and hang onto them.
As for trying treats, the trainer (we're in doggie school) says that if the puppers doesn't respond to our treats we aren't using the right treats.....
OH and another thought - my old fart at home - I notice as he gets older he likes to be in "his room" but doesn't like to be alone so he will bark and talk until someone comes to sit with him. If you don't go sit with him he will go back and pout and try again in 30min to get your attention. Maybe he wants you in his room or maybe he needs another bed in the living room. We actually put beds for both dogs in the living room.
As an aside I do think Sunshine would like another dog. I think our old fart is much less OCD and much more lively now that he has a friend.
best of luck
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
ladyjessica
Knitting the Flap

Are your stairs carpeted or hard wood/laminate/tile? My dog had issues for a long time with hard wood floors and stairs. He would slide on them and for the longest time we had to take him out one door and walk all the way around the house to go in the other door because he would slide coming off the stairs and then wouldn't walk across the wood. He got over it eventually, but he's still skittish coming off the stairs sometimes.

Just a thought.

OTN: Log Cabin Afghan, Aran Blanket Baby Afghan, Manos del Uruguay afghan;
Future WIP: A sock. Any sock.

My blog: Mincing Around the Dance Floor
ladyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by ladyjessica View Post
Are your stairs carpeted or hard wood/laminate/tile? My dog had issues for a long time with hard wood floors and stairs. He would slide on them and for the longest time we had to take him out one door and walk all the way around the house to go in the other door because he would slide coming off the stairs and then wouldn't walk across the wood. He got over it eventually, but he's still skittish coming off the stairs sometimes.

Just a thought.
Exactly what I was thinking. Could be fear of falling.

My knitting blog

Old 03-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Sigh...I had the opposite problem last summer. Cyrus could go up, but not down. Poor dog, it started when was weakened by an illness and he fell down the stairs. It took forever to get him down the stairs (he was pottying on the deck, thank goodness for the deck!)

He will go down now, but it took a loooooooong time and even now he gets nervous sometimes and I have to cajole him a bit.

What I did was have his very best favorite people come over and stand at the bottom of the stairs. His love for his special friends made him get his big butt down but it did take time. Mostly I just left him to his own devices and he came around.

One thing though, he will not go down OR up slat type stairs. You know the kind you can see through. And I can't blame him as I hate those kind too!

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I wish I could say I had a great solution, but we have a problem with our yorkie and have yet to get it solved. We bought a new bed about a year ago that is much higher than the old one. He wouldn't jump up on it and admittedly he missed once so probably got frightened. I went out and spent $$$ on doggie steps that everyone raved about and said their little dogs took right to. Uh, uh, not Fortune. The only way he goes up those stairs is if I grab his collar and pull him up them to get him started. I worked for 2 weeks with him but he won't use them. I gave up and they are sitting in my closet. Well, he now jumps off the bed in the middle of the night then does the whiney or yip to have someone get him back onto the bed. He won't stop until you haul out of bed. Some nights are awful and he does it 3-4 times. I have tried taking him out later so he doesn't feel the need to go to the bathroom, but he still does it nightly. Drives us nuts and since my dh has to get up at 5 AM he gets mad at him some of the time. So, with all that being said, the only encouragement I have is to just keep trying maybe working with her with a leash on and guiding her up and letting her go down then guiding up and letting her go down. If she isn't have joint issues I imagine it is just some stubborness on her part.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote