Old 03-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

And do post pictures!!! I'm sure everything is going to be beautiful!!!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
letah75
Working the Gusset

Thanks again for your support and understanding. Mom has calmed it down, and it looks like everything is going to work out. :-)

I will definitely post pics when I get them, supposed to get them two weeks after the wedding. God two months (and a half), man oh man it's coming quick!!!!!

Everyday it hits me a little bit more, I'm gonna be a wife, and step-mom....well I'm already doing the step-mom wife stuff, but it'll be recognized, and celebrated by both families which will be awesome.

Too cool too....the food is all going to be cooked by both families. So it's Belizean food, Mexican food, and chicken casserole (for the picky eaters). But really neat, the Liberian women who go to the church told my mom, they were going to be cooking too, and will be bringing a ton of food to the reception. So it's Belizean, Mexican, African and chicken casserole. Including Italian dessert (my aunt), cassava cake, lemon meringue pie, and all kinds of Belizean desserts. My mouth is watering already.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
msoebel
Turning the Heel

My mom is very much like your mom. A wonderful person, very kind, very caring, great fun to be around...but oh-so-last-minute that I just want to scream. Growing up, they NEVER planned for ANYTHING. Not kidding. Most of our vacations were along the lines of "Hey, you know what? Let's take next week off of work and go camping!" (said on Friday morning). Everything was spontaneous and last minute, and yes, that can be loads of fun...but when you are planning a wedding, that will drive you batty.

She wanted to be so involved in the wedding preparations, but wouldn't follow through with anything. Dh and I paid for our wedding, but she insisted that she wanted to buy my wedding gown (after she knew the price tag, mind you). She paid the $50 deposit, then didn't pay anything else. Which wouldn't have been a big deal if she hadn't said she would. I put that $600 toward another cost, then had to find another $600 out of nowhere when my dress was delivered. She insisted on planning a second bridal shower, then didn't invite anyone until 2 days before...she wanted to help with the menu, and got mad when we finally did it 3 weeks before the wedding.

STRESS.

Fortunately, we got married (10 years ago in July) and our world returned to normal. Until my sister got married.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
knitncook
Working the Gusset

It can be very stressful to deal with family, especially when they don't behave as you would. I have the same frustrations with my mother. Everything is on her timetable and she is most motivated by approaching deadlines. I'm very much the planner, list-maker, get-it-doner. Hate leaving things to the last minute. It can be very frustrating trying to plan things with her. So don't much anymore.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I'm so glad that everything has worked out for you.

Knowing my family, my Dh and I just planned our little wedding ourselves and didn't have any fuss to it at all.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

That food sounds delicious! We had a similar thing at our reception, we did a potluck (it was a very informal wedding) and everyone had a great time. The best thing was that people brought recipie cards for the dishes they made so I got a ton of new recipies to use as well! I still use most of them to this day!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:32 AM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by letah75 View Post
...but she is so freakin' lazy....
Has she always been lazy? If so...then you already knew better.
If not, maybe a hidden health issue is impacting her ability to focus and follow through. Possible?

My best to you, and I hope your wedding day is filled with love and happiness and good memories!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
photolady

Originally Posted by lelvsdgs View Post
Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

And do love your mother, someday she'll be gone...
Yes, ditto, congratulations on your upcoming marriage. Many years of marital bliss, wished for you.
And, ditto on the love your mother. My advice?

Hold on to as many mementos of your mom as you can get. Pile it on, grab every email of hers, every memory you can get of her, NOW, and keep it all in a safe place.

Maybe your mom is dragging her feet, because she's sad you're getting married. You're all grown up now, and maybe she just will miss the status she had with you. I don't know, just guessing.
Hug her, and give her a kiss, tomorrow.

My mother died of an aortic aneurysm 2 years ago, I saw her 2 hours before she died, at 1 am, I flew in to Wisconsin, rushed to the hospital, and tried to talk to her through her morphine haze. She struggled hard to respond, too.
I regret, regret, regret not having saved her emails, and not having taken more photos of her. Take my advice. Grab all of her that you can, now, and keep it in a safe place.
Sorry to be so down, but, you do love your mother, and...that is great.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
Amyzing
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Amyzing
Originally Posted by lelvsdgs View Post
And do love your mother, someday she'll be gone...
Originally Posted by texas1107` View Post
Sometimes way too soon!
Yes! I wish I could have my mother at my wedding under any circumstances, but I will have to go through all of it without her.

But your bond with your mother sounds like a great thing and I'm glad everything is going in the right direction now! I hope all of your frustrations with the planning taper off so you can enjoy your special day! Congrats!!

Amyzing @ Ravelry

Reading: Middlesex
Knitting: WIP RSE 2 Scarf,
Baby stuff for BF's SIL
FO ISE 6 Scarf
FO Ravelry College Swap Scarf
Amyzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #20
letah75
Working the Gusset

Hey all,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond! Thanks for all the good wishes. Mom is doing a little better. She actually called my aunt to start planning the bridal shower....although she canceled the meeting at the last minute.

I know I drive her just as crazy as she drives me. I'm my father's daughter and a little too organized for her liking.

I love my mom to death, and I cherish every minute we have. She just drives me nuts. :-)

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote