Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I like metal sock needles (DPNs specifically), but if you're just starting out with socks, you might like bamboo DPNs as they hold your stitches better. One of my biggest problems when I started knitting socks was that the stitches kept sliding off of the metal needles.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #12
kaidyddd
1st Leg of the Journey

Inox 6 in. DPN's are still my favorite. Lightwt. for a metal needle and not too long. They also come in a 2.5 mm size (US 1.5). I use the 2.5 mm for the cuff and a 2.0 mm (US 0) for the heel and foot. On fingering wt. yarn this puts me around 8 st./inch for the cuff and around 9.5 for the foot. If I need a 2.25 mm (US 1) needle, I've been using the Pony Pearls. Also quite nice.
kaidyddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
I am with Rachel I LOVE my Options they are the best.
I got the whole set this past month and I just LOOVE them. I have used the wood, bamboo, and now the metal. I won't go back to the others but then it is up to you and what you like using.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I have been on a sock frenzy and am currently on my 8th pair this winter. I'm working on sizes 0-2 and am doing a lot of cabling and lace work. I have managed to bend one of my 0 dpn when doing a cable and I'm not generally a tight knitter. I am looking at the Options sock set rather than any type of wood because I'm afraid of breaking the smallest sizes. I also tend to sit on my knitting from time to time because I leave it sitting on the sofa.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
GiddyKnitter
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to GiddyKnitter Send a message via Yahoo to GiddyKnitter
I have always useds DPN's and now I have the full set of Harmony's and they are devine xx

OTN's
Socks for ME!!
February Ladies Sweater x 3
Knitted Kitties

Leahfaith on Ravelry
GiddyKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
Karina
Working the Gusset

I have had my Knit Picks Nickle Plated DPN's for a couple of months and love them, bought them because my bamboo 2.5mm snapped mid glove. One day I will give magic loop a go but it does seem like a lot of work to pull the cables out etc. Don't know if the wooden Knit picks DPN's are stronger than the bamboo, as others have said when you are a beginner it would probably be easier to use wood as it holds on to the yarn a bit and you won't loose the needle in mid row.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have the KP Harmony dpn sock needle set. I am in LOVE with it. I tried metal but the stitches slip off, I tried bamboo but the stitches did not move freely. I got the Harmony set and will never go back to another kind of needle. It's all in what you prefer. Each kind of needle has it's good and it's bad points. The only thing I found I didn't like about the Harmony's is that they are dark so you have to work in good lighting if you are working with dark yarn.

The Knitpicks Harmony sock needle set includes sizes US 0 or 2.00mm; US 1 or 2.25mm; US 1 or2.50mm; US 2 or 2.75mm; US 2 or 3.00mm; and US 3 or 3.25mm; and is only $34.99 plus tax and shipping! It all comes in a neat case to keep your needles organized. They are solid birch wood needles with a thick verathane coating so they glide easily but still have a bit of grip. They are nice and pointy so they slide in and out of stitches easily.

Good luck!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #18
Phaedra
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Phaedra
I'm using 2 KnitPicks Harmony 16" circulars: but I've had issues with breaking them. BUT I do like them very much because they are lightweight (the Options are a little heavier to me), they don't make the noise, and since I knit on the fly, I can just shove them in my bag and not worry about losing/dropping a needle. I like to think of them as commuter needles.
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #19
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

I'm partial to bamboo dpns, possibly because that is what I learned to knit socks on and I feel very comfortable using dpns. There is just enough 'grab' to keep the stitches on the needle, but not enough to slow me down.

However, I'm trying to keep an open mind and learn new things. Right now I'm trying two socks on one long circular and next I want to try two socks on two circs.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

I used to love Crystal Palace DPNS, but now favor KnitPicks Harmony DPNS. Love that wood!

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote