Old 03-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Magic Loop or Two Circs?
I have both books for knitting two at a time socks (one uses one long circ, the other uses two circs). My LYS said I should try both methods and see which one I like the best.

I decided to try the one circ first, so last night I practiced Magic Loop. I knit a stockinette stitch swatch for about 6 inches. I was surprised that ML is so easy! However, my fingers got SO sore from moving the stitches around so much and pulling the needles in and out of the stitches. I used an Addi, so the needle was slick, but I still found it tedious to constantly move the stitches and needles.

Is this normal? Does it get better in time? Or maybe this just isn't the right method for me?

Now I'm wondering if I should even bother with the two circ method, or does this method have less 'moving around' of the stitches?

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I don't know ML so I can't compare the 2 methods.

I use 2 circs all the time and love it. There's no moving stitches around. You keep half the sock on each needle and there it stays until you graft the toe...or bind off the top, depending on which end of the sock you start with (toe up or cuff down).

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (03-15-2008)
Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
I've not tried two circs but I know dpns is WAY less moving around, which is a primary reason I use it. I HATE Magic loop, but I use it when I don't have dpns for stuff (because I don't have two sets of Options, so I only have one size of each needle time). ML is way annoying IMHO, and I don't find it gets any less of a hassle. It may not hurt your hands as much with practice as you get used to it, but it still may be highly annoying.

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redheadrachel For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (03-15-2008)
Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by redheadrachel View Post
(because I don't have two sets of Options, so I only have one size of each needle time)..
Oh, but Rachel, you do have 2 circ needles the same size! Here is the info fromthe Denise site telling how:

Make a pair of matching circular needles out of one kit! If you want a pair of circular needles in the same size, just use the correct size tip on the end held by your right hand. Use a smaller size tip on the left side. This works because your gauge is determined entirely by the right hand tip, which receives the loop and whose circumference determines its size.

Same theory will work no matter which interchangable set you have.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (03-15-2008), Mike (03-15-2008)
Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Originally Posted by Mirl56 View Post
Oh, but Rachel, you do have 2 circ needles the same size! Here is the info fromthe Denise site telling how:

Make a pair of matching circular needles out of one kit! If you want a pair of circular needles in the same size, just use the correct size tip on the end held by your right hand. Use a smaller size tip on the left side. This works because your gauge is determined entirely by the right hand tip, which receives the loop and whose circumference determines its size.

OH YEAH! JACKPOT! So I'll never have to use the dreaded ML ever again!!!! I forgot you could do this :D You're my best friend, officially.

lol And I love the way you said it "Oh, but Rachel..." lol Like you're bringing me back to the straight and narrow, and bringing me out of disillusionment. Truly you did! hehe Love it!

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Mike
Working the Gusset

It's witchcraft I tell you! WITCHCRAFT!!!!

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Mirl56
Instepping Out

LOL

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Old 03-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

I don't know ML so I can't compare the 2 methods.

I use 2 circs all the time and love it. There's no moving stitches around. You keep half the sock on each needle and there it stays until you graft the toe...or bind off the top, depending on which end of the sock you start with (toe up or cuff down).

Thank you so much. I'm so glad you posted because I wasn't even going to try 2 circs since I thought it would be similar to ML.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
Old 03-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by redheadrachel View Post
I've not tried two circs but I know dpns is WAY less moving around, which is a primary reason I use it. I HATE Magic loop, but I use it when I don't have dpns for stuff (because I don't have two sets of Options, so I only have one size of each needle time). ML is way annoying IMHO, and I don't find it gets any less of a hassle. It may not hurt your hands as much with practice as you get used to it, but it still may be highly annoying.

Rachel, you crack me up! Annoying is a very good word for it. I really thought I'd prefer ML because of using only one cicular needle, but I'm just not lovin' it.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Oh, thanks for posting! I did not realize you could do that.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry