Old 03-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
durabledora
Casting On

Knit through front and back of loop? Huh???
Hi all,

I'm working on the Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers from SnB Nation. I'm doing great on the dpn's (love them!), but now that I've gotten to the pattern part, I'm REALLY confused. I'm only on the second line of the chart and I have no idea what some of the words mean.....Here's the part where I'm stuck:

sl right needle through next 3 sts as if to k, k through the front, back and front of all 3 sts

Huh??? I don't understand this crazy moon language. Can someone please explain what the heck I'm supposed to do?

Thanks!

Dorothy in Omaha
durabledora is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

To knit through the front and back of the loop, you stick your right needle into the stitch on the left needle as if you would do a regular knit stitch and knit it except at the end where you would normally slip the stitch off the left needle, DO NOT do that and instead slip the needle into the back of the stitch and knit that and only then slip the stitch off the left needle.

Hope that makes sense!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

To follow your instructions you would:

insert your needle through the 3 sts as though to k3tog. Knit those sts, but DON'T slip off (you will have a new st on your right needle and the 3 orig sts on the left); you then k the 3 sts through the back loop, and again DON'T slip off (you will have the 2 new sts on your right needle and the orig sts on the left); then you k3tog in the front as usual and this time slip them off, so you will have the 3 new sts on the right needle.

It sounds complicated but it's not...just awkward when you're not used to it.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
clarkeee
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow. That's confusing to me too. The way Wenda explains it matches up with your directions. I haven't been knitting super long, but it sounds like a decrease and an increase at the same time?

That is, if you slip all three as if to K3tog you'd end up with three sitches becoming one stitch. BUT you're then knitting into the front and back of these so you're ending up with two stitches instead of three, but then you knit into the front again so you're back to three sitches.

I'd be really curious to see what the pattern looks like.
clarkeee is offline   Reply With Quote