Old 03-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Alter pattern for different weight yarn?
I had a pattern picked out for my DK weight yarn, but my darling dd saw me browsing and wants another dress instead.

The sundress she wants (this one) calls for worsted weight. If I want to go ahead and use my DK weight, should I just knit it for the bigger size to compensate? Or just get the specified gauge with bigger needles? I worry that it would make the fabric too loose if I do that.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
threesmom
Turning the Heel

Cute pattern!

I have done what you are talking about with adjusting size for gauge, and it has worked for me. The pattern looks pretty straightforward, so it might work. I would definitely do a swatch though, and see what you get for inches with their suggested stitches, and decide about size from there. When I did it, I used a bulky when the pattern called for a worsted - I did a size smaller than I wanted, and it seems fine. And keep measuring as you go - you might be able to adjust as you go along.

Or you could use it as an excuse for more yarn!

Working on ... Central Park Hoodie, socks!, another baby blanket ...
Recent FOs ...baby blankets, v-neck sweater!, Nakiska headband, socks

I'm justbeth on

threesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I was thinking about other yarn for this one...but I have a very stubborn 4-year-old. She's very decided that she wants that dress with that yarn LOL

Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
cam90066
Working the Gusset

You can recalc your gauge and st counts using this little program....when site finishes updating. Pretty straight forward...just plug in old gauge, new gauge and Refresh. It'll provide your new figures. If you need shaping revised, use that feature but make sure to select if one side (such as neckline) or two (sleeves). Nice thing is it allows you to use the yarn and ndl combo you want.

I've used it many times when designing and it's worked well.

cam

Last edited by cam90066 : 03-15-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: change link....site updating
cam90066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Your link doesn't work, and I'd loooove to bookmark it. Sounds great!

Wenda--do you have enough yarn to double it?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Ingrid, I looked at that site's main page, and it says they're doing work on it, so some pages might be down.

Wenda, this pattern looks really easy to modify. Do a gauge swatch to figure out how many stitches you need for the chest circumference, and cast that many on and knit the rib like the pattern calls using the normal needle size for the yarn you have. Then, just switch to a needle a few sizes larger for the stockinette body. I'd think the increases they use would work, but I'd measure every few inches to make sure, and fudge it around if necessary. Then for the straps, pick up, instead of eight, enough to make them as wide as you want, and you can still use the same directions for them. Just make sure to pick them up along the top so that there's enough room in between, and make them longer than the original pattern.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
Your link doesn't work, and I'd loooove to bookmark it. Sounds great!

Wenda--do you have enough yarn to double it?
That's an idea...and I could maybe order more if I don't

I think I'll just try putzing around with it as I knit. I've got some great suggestions to work with and we'll see what happens.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
cam90066
Working the Gusset

The freebie program I ref'd in previous post is still on site but the URL was slightly changed. You can find it here.

HTH,
cam
bonnie11 (03-17-2008), Knit4Pie (03-17-2008)
Old 03-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
bonnie11
Casting On

Originally Posted by cam90066 View Post
The freebie program I ref'd in previous post is still on site but the URL was slightly changed. You can find it here.

HTH,
cam
OMG I downloaded the program and it works. This is going to be a lifesaver. I just bought some baby patterns that are made with fingering weight yarn, but I prefer to use dk weight or sport weight. This is awesome. Thank you, thank you.........
Old 03-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
cam90066
Working the Gusset

bonnie,

Glad that'll work for you. For something so simple, it really does alleviate the need for calc'ing those changes by hand (which sometimes means lots of trial and error). I esp like the 'Shaping' option when redoing sleeves (I have long arms) or when changing a v-neck slope.

cam