Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
luvtoknit
Casting On

Edging question
Hi. I'm new here. I've been knitting off and on for a few years. Mostly make afghans and dishcloths. I'm making an afghan with blocks. The blocks are 9 to 10 inches square. The directions say to single crochet evenly spaced around the block with 3 sc in the corners but it doesn't say how many crochet stitches to put around. I finished knitting the first block and it has 44 stitches top and bottom. I used a selvedge edge on the sides and so it has 33 chain stitches. I'd like to make the edging all the same number of sc on all the blocks so I can put them together. How do you figure out how many sc to put. I've done edging around blocks before but they told you how many to put. Thanks for any help.

Linda
luvtoknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Are all the blocks the same st patt? (You mention they diff in size from 9" to 10". Just yarn weight diff?) If the same, do a test on one and see how many sc are needed to make a clean, flat edge. However, if the blocks are all diff, your sc count may vary. You can still join them even if the st counts aren't the same. You may have to pick up every st on one but skip a few on the adjacent sq.

The afghan in the attached pic has no two sqs alike...all diff st patts...but all had chain sel and sc border (different no of sc on each). But they seamed together without any probs.

cam
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	afghan_final_outside_web.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	47439  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
luvtoknit
Casting On

Each block has a different stitch pattern and most have different stitch counts and row counts with selvedge chains. I thought maybe I could make the same number of sc on each block. I'll try what you mentioned and see how it looks. Thanks. I also wanted to know how to figure out how many to sc around evenly or do I sc one in every stitch on all the sides.

Linda
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
cam90066
Working the Gusset

You'll have to play with the number of sc to get the look you want. On some of my sqs I did sc in each sel st but in others it meant alternating sc with slip.

As quickly as sc is worked, do an edge, see if the sq lies flat (no bulges/ruffling OR pulling). If the border yarn is the same weight you should be able to do one sc for each CO/BO st...but CO/BO edges of diff sqs most likely won't match either with your diff st patts.

Ultimately, your goal is to have sqs that 'visually' appear to be the same sz. For your sqs that vary by as much as an inch (you said 9" or 10") you may need to work a few rows of sc on the smaller ones just to get them up to the 10" size.

HTH,
cam
Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
luvtoknit
Casting On

Thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes. I like it better when the instructions tell you exactly how many stitches to put around as a border. I don't really like figuring things out, sometimes it doesn't work out right and I have to keep doing it till it does. I like your afghan in the picture, its really nice.

Linda
Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
cam90066
Working the Gusset

I've been knitting and crocheting for 40+ yrs and working the sc around the sqs of that afghan still took trial and error. (And quite a few sqs started and frogged when the gauge didn't hit my desired size.) That's part of the creative process.

Good luck!

cam