Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

UPDATE!! Pg. 2 Anyone in the Medical Field?
I need your help. It involves my medical records. I'm seeing a new Reproductive Endocrinologist a week from today, on the 25th and they needed my records 2 weeks prior to my appt. I sent all the paperwork to my current doctors offices 3 weeks ago requesting my records be transferred to the new doctor.

The new doctor needs a copy of my HSG films. Hysterosalpingogram - to see if my tubes were blocked. Apparently the written reports won't do, they want to see the pictures/films themselves. Which is fine with me, 2 sets of eyes are better than 1.

Well, I've had 2 HSG's done in the last 2 years and apparently the second one I had done during my surgery and they didn't record them on film, which I find completely insane and the first doctor, my GYN, well her nurse is quite the bitch and I called last Thursday, the 13th, to see if they sent them and they hadn't and she said she'd get them to the new doctor. I called today and they still haven't gotten them and then I called my GYN's office and the stupid nurse tells me that they are waiting for the doctor to come to that office (she goes to 5 different offices every week) so the nurse can ask the doctor if it's okay to send the pictures to the new doctor!!!!

Aren't they MY PICTURES???? All they are doing is sitting in a file in a drawer doing nothing. My new doctor needed them a week ago and I have to wait until thursday and then what?? How long will it take for me to get them?? My appt is Tuesday!!

I'm very upset right now because they are making me more stressed than I need right now. This appt is extremely important to me and my husband and I need some help. Why do they have to make this so difficult??

Any advice?? I need some help desperately. If I sound psychotic please forgive me, but we've been dealing with the fact that I may never have children so if anyone can sympathize, without telling me to relax, because there is no point in that, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by bailsmom : 03-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.
bailsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
wingem
Ribbing the Cuff

I had some what of the same thing happen with my results. I simply went to the office and told them I need the results and I would hand deliver them myself! They did release the films to me to take with me to the new Doctor's office, but I think they had to send them back to the original Doctor. I really don't know if that would work, but it is worth a try. I would also mention to the nurse that stress in your situation is not the best. I'm not quite sure what situation that is, but I went through a bunch of hoops to have my second child, I finally used the ovulation perdictor kit and my miracle happened. Good luck to you and may you be blessed with a child, my prayers are with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to wingem For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (03-18-2008)
Old 03-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

By law they cannot keep your records ( I worked in dentistry for years). They have a right to charge you for duplicate fees, mailing, etc. but they cannot deny you a request for transfer. I don't think you can even hold records for people who haven't paid their bills. http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa122200a.htm
If at all possible, go down there directly and pick up your records. If not, talk to the admin person in the office and tell them you want your records sent immediately. I'm assuming the nurse has no idea and is afraid to do something that might get her in trouble. The receptionist or admin should know your rights as a patient. Good luck with everything.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Natrasha
Casting On

That stinks. Doctor's offices usually hate having to send out records, for whatever the reason. The doctors and their staff are supposed to be on the patient's side, but so many times it turns into an adversarial situation. I really hate that you're dealing with it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd call back and say that I will be there at something o'clock and to please have my entire file ready to be picked up. Then I'd do it. And if the records weren't ready, I'd stand there and make a scene until they got them ready.

I've done that. It worked for me.

I'm a little crazy, though, so you might not want to take advice from me.

Hope you can work something out. Stick to your guns and don't let Nurse Nasty push you around.
bailsmom (03-18-2008)
Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I was in nursing for 30+ years. As SW wrote, they cannot keep your records. Not even for the doctor to 'say it's OK' to send them.

We went through the first seven years of our marriage trying to conceive, so I'd never tell you to relax. But, as the very proud mother of one wonderful son, I can tell you that even if all of what medicine tries to do fails, you can still become a mom. It just takes more time for some of us.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (03-18-2008)
Old 03-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Oh yeah, I forgot the sympathy part.
I'm walking, talking proof positive that anything can happen. My mom had a fallopian tube on one side taken out and an ovary on another side taken out when she was 19. My parents married when they were 19 and she was told she would never have children because it was impossible for an egg from one ovary to jump to a tube to the other side (this was 40 years ago). Well, guess what, I did and so did my brother!
Here's hoping you have a creative surprise too! I'll be keeping positive thoughts for ya'!
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to go through this extra hassle at such a time. This is one of those times when you have to put your foot down and let them know you know the law. If you have to go there in person, I would do it. I hope this gets straightened out for you soon and good luck with all of this...

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (03-18-2008)
Old 03-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
I had to get my breast films once myself and take them to the doctor. You shouldn't HAVE to do that, but it might be an option.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Thank you everyone . It is so empowering to know what my rights are as a patient now. It is so frustrating having to deal with nasty nurses and yet a great doctor. I have had so many of this particular situation in my life and I just hate it. I have learned along the way to be a bit more aggressive but it's not in my nature to do that normally and I don't really like doing it, but I know it has to be done sometimes.

As for my particular reproductive disease, well, it's not impossible for me to conceive, just highly unlikely without the aid of IVF. And the longer I wait the lower my odds are of it happening at all. I've done IUI's twice and failed so my doctor told me that IVF was my only hope that is why I'm getting a second opinion with this new doctor. He's been doing it for over 20 years and is the head of the dept., and my current doctor isn't as experienced. She knows what she's doing but I'd rather get one more person's input.

I hate that I've been dealt this hand but am learning to accept it and try and move on. It is not easy. And I think the most frustrating part is when people tell us to 'relax' or 'it'll happen when it's supposed too'. Unfortunately when you are the one having to deal with the situation you know that relaxing and the other line don't work and are actually quite a slap in the face. But unless they've walked a mile in my/our shoes they'll never even begin to understand what it feels like for them to try and try and try for years and years and take a break and start all over again. Especially when you have a medical condition that really inhibits your chances of conceiving that just puts you in a different club entirely.

I HATE that infertility is such a taboo subject. We went to an IVF class at the end of January and the room held about 75-100 people and the nurse who did one part of the class said that they have it every other week and it's full every time. So many people have infertility issues and so many people keep quiet about it and for what reason?? I don't even know. I hate that I can't even tell my family what's going on. We kept it from my parents for years and finally had to tell them bits and pieces of my situation because I had to have surgery to get rid of the crap that's inside of me causing all this mayhem. I told my doctor the last time I saw him that I have an alien growing on the inside of me. We laughed and then he stopped and said, "Well, you know, you're kind of right about that." At least we got a chuckle out of it. If you don't laugh, you'll just cry.

That's why I watch a lot of America's Funniest Home Videos. This consumes every area of our lives and watching that show, even for an hour, makes me laugh and get rid of a bit of stress. Thank goodness people do crazy things and then tape them!!

Thanks again for all of your support!! It means so much to me. I'm going to go to the office tomorrow and DEMAND my films. Wish me luck!! I'm gonna need some extra moxie!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

im just curious on what your thoughts are on adoption? in no way do i mean to offend you with this question, i know that some people just arent interested in that. i have always looked forward to when i get to have children, my own children, and never wanted to consider adoption but as i think about it now maybe i wouldnt mind it so much? hugs all around
princess is offline   Reply With Quote