Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
Knitter in South Korea
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Knitter in South Korea
Increasing Size Question
I've seen some cute stuff, but, alas, I'm not a model, so they don't fit. Is there a way to correctly increase the number of stitches to increase the size of a garment? Like a formula or (please god) a calculator online?
Knitter in South Korea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

In patterns where they give several sizes, say small-medium-large, you can subtract the number of stitches for the smaller size from the number of stitches in the next-larger size and get a number. Do this for each size larger, and you'll see a pattern. For example, maybe each size adds 6 stitches on to what the next-smaller size calls for.

Then you can take the largest size and add that differential [6 stitches in our example] to the stitches at that same step. This would give you, say, the equivalent of an extra-large. Want an extra-extra-large? Double the differential [in our example, it'd be 12 stitches]. And so on.

Just be sure to keep verifying the differences between the number of stitches at every step in your pattern - 6 stitches for casting-on, 4 stitches for armhole decrease, etc. - so you keep the same width dimensions.

And the length-wise measurements likely stay the same, of course.

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
Knitter in South Korea (03-17-2008)
Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Knitter in South Korea
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks! I thought that would work, but I was hoping for a calculator or something since I don't trust myself with math.

I'll just keep track of everything I guess. Now I can make that awesome dress I saw in Knit.1!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

This was all I could find amongst my links, you need to download the software to your computer. It's freeware.

Last edited by Plantgoddess+ : 03-17-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: corrext url
Plantgoddess+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plantgoddess+ For This Useful Post:
Knitter in South Korea (03-18-2008)
Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
cam90066
Working the Gusset

This site has a small, free program that allows you to input your old size/gauge info and your new numbers and it'll calc the changes for you. I've used it many times and very helpful for redesigning.

cam
Knitter in South Korea (03-18-2008)
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #6
Knitter in South Korea
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow, thanks guys! I'll download them as soon as I get home!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by DorothyDot View Post
In patterns where they give several sizes, say small-medium-large, you can subtract the number of stitches for the smaller size from the number of stitches in the next-larger size and get a number. Do this for each size larger, and you'll see a pattern. For example, maybe each size adds 6 stitches on to what the next-smaller size calls for.

Then you can take the largest size and add that differential [6 stitches in our example] to the stitches at that same step. This would give you, say, the equivalent of an extra-large. Want an extra-extra-large? Double the differential [in our example, it'd be 12 stitches]. And so on.

Just be sure to keep verifying the differences between the number of stitches at every step in your pattern - 6 stitches for casting-on, 4 stitches for armhole decrease, etc. - so you keep the same width dimensions.

And the length-wise measurements likely stay the same, of course.

Dot
I was wondering the same thing..I am trying to "work" a sweater for a "toddler" working from a "baby" pattern...I keep going up a few sizes in needles, but that's making the pattern look funky..So if the pattern gives you the measurements do you have to "play around" with the finished measurements too? or just work with the given stitch numbers? Thanks
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

You would need to stay reasonably close to the same size needle and same weight yarn. The dimensions would have to be adapted to a toddler's body - longer waist, longer sleeves, etc. As well as the width/number of stitches.

Depends a lot on the pattern stitch, as well as the differential between the given sizes.

Another thought would be to find a very basic toddler pattern with about the same size needles and yarn weight - then adapt that to your little precious one.

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by DorothyDot View Post
You would need to stay reasonably close to the same size needle and same weight yarn. The dimensions would have to be adapted to a toddler's body - longer waist, longer sleeves, etc. As well as the width/number of stitches.

Depends a lot on the pattern stitch, as well as the differential between the given sizes.

Another thought would be to find a very basic toddler pattern with about the same size needles and yarn weight - then adapt that to your little precious one.

Dot
Thanks for the input..problem is I can not (for the life of me) find a basic long sleeved "shrug"(short length) no button front, one needle pattern,so I am trying to adapt this one: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60806A.html to fit. She is a very petite 6 year old with small dimensions so I upped the needle to 10....
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote