Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #21
figaro
Working the Gusset

wellslipmystitches, he has always eaten Iams dog food, 90% of the time it was lamb and rice per our old vet for his skin and the other (Iams Adult) it was because the store was out of his l & r and he needed food. He is not a Boxer, he is labeled as a Great Dane mix although I think he is actually a pit bull mix but we will never know for sure. He was found wondering the streets with a foxtail in his eye and was maybe 8-10 weeks old at that time. His muzzle has been going grey for a couple of years now although there are no signs of old age (no arthritis or anything else) and his 2 vets have never said he was overweight. As as how he eats, well he is a slow eater, I have seen him take out 2 or 3 pieces of food, put them on the ground and then eat each piece one by one otherwise it can take him about 15 minutes to eat his bowl. He has never vomited and I can't remember the last time he had diarrhea. As far as snacks go, his current is Iams dog biscuits and chew hooves but these are not given consistantly, they are are treat and are treated as such. I think he is a healthy dog, he has has skin problems in the past but since we moved to NJ, those are gone. (his old vet thought it may have been a type of grass that irritated his skin that was in our old yard)

The gas issue is really a recent one, I would say in the past 2 years or so. This is the first time he has eaten this food and I am hoping that with the food and me feeding him smaller amounts throughout the day it will reduce the gas problem. I am also going to try the peanut butter/yogurt to see if that helps.

The reason I am so confused about the gas is that except for the food that was changed 2 or 3 nights ago, he had not had anything change foodwise for months. And the gas starts? The reason we changed his food now is to try and see if he farts less with this one that claims that it is easier to digest.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #22
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I have to wonder if it's just the dog getting older. My oldest dog has started passing gas more frequently. She's eight years old.

Old people tend to get more gassy as they age. Why not animals?

Good luck.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #23
PurlyGyrl
Working the Gusset

Mason!
My dog is not "windy"--Princess Ginger poodle--NEVER!
But (no pun intended) one of my cats, Sir Fluff, is a stinker--literally. He passes a lot of gas.
I get so tickled--he and Ginger will snuggle together and he'll let loose. She gets up and MOVES away. Even the dog can't stand it!

I'm PurlyGyrl on Ravelry, too!
I just don't know how to do that button thing
My favorite blue eyed guy
PurlyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #24
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

That's good info, Debbie. You do have a larger breed who is aging and with the abrupt change in food his digestive system is a little tender. Give it some time and he should adapt. Check the fat content in pig ears, plus any additives. My guys all had problems handling those when they were older. Discontinued them totally. Those hams, ribs and other pig parts will be the death of us all . . . but, they're so goooood! Happy Easter. Where I live the Easter Bunny had better have his longies and high boots to go hippity-hop thru a foot or so of snow. Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #25
figaro
Working the Gusset

I gave him pig ears once and they were gone in about 30 seconds! That was the last time too. Now his only treats are the Iams dog biscuits and the chew hooves from cows, at least those take him a couple of weeks to go through.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #26
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I wish you the best of luck with the odors. I have a boxer/lab and I have to watch him like a hawk when out hiking. He loves venison and is always dragging deer parts into the yard. I have to be very careful in his diet, he will peel paint off the walls if he gets too many treats or scraps let alone all the venison he finds.
If I can keep him from eating anything other than what I give him he's fine, but it doesn't take much to set him off.
My dalmation/lab only has odorless farts thank goodness. The only way to tell she has let loose is when she looks at her tail with a puzzled look on her face. Every once in a while I'll hear her pass gas but they never smell.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #27
Mike
Working the Gusset

My Springer doesn't have a problem with venison. I "accidentally" drop some when I'm butchering.

I think his problem is either making it back to the compost bin or eating bird or cat poop.

It's really hard to say what they'll pick up. My neighbor had to clean up his fruit constantly because his Bassets would go after it until they were sick.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #28
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

ugh my little tiny bichon loves to go out in the garage with my dad when he is working on the cars. Man, my dad loves it and makes jokes because my dog will go around eating all the bugs(dead or alive!) and spiderwebs, then a short bit later he vomits it up. My dad jokes that he makes it an easy clean by consolidating! i get so mad when i catch my dad letting him in the garage, lol.
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #29
Sweet_Thang
Ribbing the Cuff

I am a little late, but I had to reply!

I lovingly call my schnauzer, SirFartsAlot. Let's just say that the dog's got some stinky going on. Though it's funny, when you hear a "pphht", it's not stinky, it's the silent ones that are deadly.
First time he let one pass, and I heard it. I looked at him and he looked at me with a look of 'why did you do that?". Blamin me for it!
Though, he turned 10 on the 15th, and we had gone out to dinner to celebrate DH's birthday. We had a huge porterhouse steak and brought home the bone for the dog. Let's just say that he passed Poterhouse Steak Farts for about three days and they were AWFUL!

SweetThang - pls add my as your friend!
Sweet_Thang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #30
hocns
1st Leg of the Journey

One of my dogs had a stinky episode once for a few weeks, after she found and partly consumed a long dead groundhog. Talk about a lethal weapon, silent but deadly. The vet put her on lamb and rice, the actual food, not dog food, and that seemed to clear it up quickly. That was over 20 years agoe, but the memory is still strong.
hocns is offline   Reply With Quote