Old 03-19-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,089 Times in 608 Posts
"Designer" Cats
Let me start off by saying these cats are indeed, absolutely beautiful, and, their being is through no fault of their own, but, does anyone else find it absolutely horrible?

I just read an article of Yahoo about the Ashera cat costing $22,000 (plus an additional $6,000 for the "premium placement option"). The cat is gorgeous, but I find it incredibly sad that there are so many sweet, wonderful, healthy animals in shelters just waiting for someone to adopt them and too many of them are being put to sleep for no other reason than the shelters run out of room.

It saddens me that these animals are a trend; an accessory. Im sure the animals will be well cared for, sporting a price tag of $22,000, but, it just breaks my heart thinking about the animals in shelters who need good, loving homes.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
princess
1st Leg of the Journey

i have to be honest, im a dog person not a cat so i dont really see any special difference. its cute, as is any other car ive seen i agree its sad that this has become a trend
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
It's still a cat,there are plenty of cats that are 'beautiful' and 'regal' without having to shell out such exhorbitant prices.

Since they're only breeding fifty of those a year, it will be a long time (read never) before I see one.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
It is beautiful and looks like a wild cat, but that is a bit steep. Now I can see value in the new hypo allergenic cats. My daughter wants a cat so bad and is allergic so maybe someday they will be more reasonably priced for people like her.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

I know there are lots of animals that need homes, but I don't really see an issue with these high priced cats. Both dogs and cats have been bred over many years with specific goals like to obtain a dog that is a keen hunter, or a cat with no hair. I don't think the Ashera is any different other than it's price, but I'm sure when the retriever was first bred successfully, it had a hefty price tag too. The Ashera just a new breed in the vast lexicon of dog and cat domestic breeds. And a quite stunning one at that.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (03-22-2008)
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
candicane
Working the Gusset

Jan,

I have a "hypo-allergenic" cat. He is a Devon Rex. They do have fur, but not very much. My sister, who is very allergic, also has one. She is still has some allergy symptoms, but not as severe as with a "normal haired" cat. They are expensive to buy as kittens, but much less expensive if you get a cat instead of a kitten. I bought mine when he was a year old for $200. The breeder had kept him because she thought he would be a good show cat. Luckily for me, his fur was not perfect, making him pet quality and not show quality.

As for the Ashera, it is beautiful! I would love to have a 30 lb. kitty! Every time I go to the zoo I covet an ocicat.

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
feministmama
Instepping Out

Lifestyle pets? Ew. These are living breathing beings not toys. It amazes me the way we humans treat animals. In Oregon there are Sea Lions at the Benneville dam eating up a lot of Salmon so now they want to shoot the sea lions. We humans create these problems for animals and then when things go wrong (genetic defects of designer pets?) we end up screwing things up even more. Like people dumping animals cuz they can't afford vet bills. Ugh! It's shameful.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feministmama For This Useful Post:
Hildegard_von_Knittin (03-19-2008), Luvmyrottnboy (03-19-2008), saracidaltendencies (03-19-2008)
Old 03-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I know there are lots of animals that need homes, but I don't really see an issue with these high priced cats. Both dogs and cats have been bred over many years with specific goals like to obtain a dog that is a keen hunter, or a cat with no hair. I don't think the Ashera is any different other than it's price, but I'm sure when the retriever was first bred successfully, it had a hefty price tag too. The Ashera just a new breed in the vast lexicon of dog and cat domestic breeds. And a quite stunning one at that.
The difference is the established breeds developed over many years and many generations. These dogs were bred for a specific purpose, not as "an accessory". The purpose of breeding a particular dog was ALWAYS TO BETTER THE BREED.

Nowadays, however, dogs and these designer cats are bred for one reason. The $$$$$. Code of Ethics breeders are few and far between, while puppy mills flourish. These designer cats are the same thing.

We are seeing, cancer, heart/breathing/orthopedic problems. Temperament/aggressiveness is also on the rise in ALL breeds.

All due to indiscriminate breeding.

Nope, I am vehemently 100% against designer cats, dogs, gold fish anything!

I wish folks who buy these animals would take all that money and donate it to rescues and shelters. And take in a few of the poor little guys who really need a loving home.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyrottnboy For This Useful Post:
saracidaltendencies (03-19-2008)
Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
ladyjessica
Knitting the Flap

Good grief. That is a beautiful cat, and I'm sure the breeders have their purposes for creating it, and for charging so much for it, but all the free cats must be feeling pretty blue right about now.

I agree that it's kind of ridiculous to buy a pet just as something to carry around in your purse. What happens to the pet when purse animals aren't in style anymore? They're living creatures, not bracelets or stuffed animals. There are so many great animals hanging out in shelters right now that would be so excited to have a home, and not only will they do it for free, but they'll also love you that much more for rescuing them from the inevitable. I know, I have 3 rescue dogs. They know they've been saved, and they're that much more loyal and appreciative and loving because of it.

I will never pay for an animal, no matter how much it is, as long as I can save one.

OTN: Log Cabin Afghan, Aran Blanket Baby Afghan, Manos del Uruguay afghan;
Future WIP: A sock. Any sock.

My blog: Mincing Around the Dance Floor
ladyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
maniago
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to maniago
Quote:
Nope, I am vehemently 100% against designer cats, dogs, gold fish anything!
What must be remembered, all dogs are designer dogs. Whether, designed for designed for hunting, guarding or just keeping fleas off Victorian Nobility.
maniago is offline   Reply With Quote