Old 03-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
figaro
Working the Gusset

What are your thoughts on Wal-Mart?
I am just curious from the thread regarding Wal-Mart and the Easter bunny and quite a few have mentioned that they do not like Wal-Mart. I have never liked the store, every store that I go into, I get the feeling from the appearance and the way the employees look and act that they don't care about it at all. The one here in my town, everytime I go in there (maybe 2 times in the past 2 months) there are dead/dying fish in the what few tanks they do have there. I end up finding someone there and letting them know but I walk away feeling that they will leave it for the next employee to find. The employees, the way they look (and I am really not trying to be mean at all), they don't look like they care about themselves or the store they are working for. And I find it hard to send that company my money when that is the impression I get.

My brother though, he just loves the store! Thankfully though, Walmart has not infiltrated my home county and I don't seeing it happen too soon either. My brother was in San Jose for a few months for a bone marrow transplant and he was always at Wal-Mart (as soon as he was ok'd per the Dr.). He likes the prices and all that. I try to talk to him about what I think of it, and well, when was the last time you had a talk with a brick wall that listened? He really wants one to come in northern CA but I keep saying it is great that they are not there yet.

So, what are your thoughts (pro or con) on Wal-Mart?

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
maniago
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to maniago
I love Wal-Mart. We live in a rural area and the local grocery is several dollars higher on food than either Food City or Wal-mart, so I drive 20 min to for better prices. I have heard they are low paying, but if employees feel that way, its America, find another job. My cousin has worked their for since high school and loves it.
maniago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I've slowed my shopping down there to just a few visits a year for stuff I particularly want to buy cheap (flowers, dirt, etc.)
I find some good deals here at our grocery store with buy one/get ones and I find that CVS and Walgreens has some deals on cosmetics, etc. if you use their card or coupon. I don't have the complete loathing for Walmart that some do, I just kind of got tired of it all one day and quit going. From the looks of the parking lot, they aren't missing me.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I can't stand it...I used to shop there a lot, but, the one by our house is always so crowded, the shoppers are rude (not saying excuse me, or bumping into you though they SEE you there, or, I'll be looking at something and they just get all up in front of me like I'm not even there), and, the employees don't seem to care about their jobs. Whenever we'd go, we could almost never find an employee when we needed help, and, on those rare occasions we did, if we'd ask where something was, they'd just point their finger and say, "over there" by such and such.

I also don't agree with a lot of their business practices so it has gotten to the point where we only go there if we can't find what we need somewhere else.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

Not a favorite of mine either. I used to shop there a lot more, even did my regular grocery shopping there, but have since stopped except for a few items here and there. I noticed the quality of their products was declining, and got tired of wasting money on crap. There's a reason they can keep lowering their prices, because they keep lowering the quality too. You get what you pay for!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Nope, hate them. I only go in if I have to and since we have Targets everywhere that rarely happens.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
We shop there all the time...basically that is all we have unless we want to drive 40/50 mins...I don't think it's bad...I see rude employees in most stores now days...my brother works for them and was started off with minium wage...every few months they got a raise...now he is manager and likes it.

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Walmart and I have a love/hate relationship. While I love the low prices and one stop shopping - oil for the car, toys for niece/nephew birthday, shampoo, fish food, plants, grass seed, and groceries all in one place !! Yet I really can't stand how nasty people can be so I stopped going to Walmart and went back to my grocery store and realize - wow, the girl in the deli is rude, the checker is clueless, and the people in the aisles are just as rude as the ones I encounter at Walmart. The SuperWalmart where I used to live was really nice and the people working there were nice too. I would go before church on Sunday and never had any issues. Really the only thing the regular grocery store has going for it is a better selection of wine and beer.
I've never bought clothing or shoes at Walmart so not sure about the quality there.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
I worked at Walmart for awhile. I don't know about other stores, but in ours their were no women managers, if you didn't check 'availabe to work anytime' on the application it was discarded without a second glance, and we had a 'meeting' once a month about how unions were bad and how we should be espcially nice to children because 'it's important to get em while they're young'. i haven't walked through their door since the day i quit. It was a bit challenging at first, (the closest Target and stores of that kind are 30 minutes away) but it's possible. I also agree about the quailty of thieir goods going down, my extended family stilll shops there. It seems that they are encouraging the 'use it once and throw it away, it's cheap, you have the money to get another' mentaility that I absolutely hate.

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Spikey
Turning the Heel

We won't shop there.
If you have not seen the WalMart movie, it is quite an eye-opener. Not that other big-box chains don't do a lot of the same practices, but from what I understand, they are particular offenders of fair hiring and discrimination policies, environmental concerns, benefits for workers, etc.
http://www.walmartmovie.com/ has the trailer.
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote