Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was hanging out with Mike today and we were discussing the deep subjects of religion and human nature, and then switched over to playing cards. I had my iPod and as we were playing cards and not talking much I was listening to music in one ear and he made a comment about "Oh no, its not country, is it!?" It wasn't, so I had him listen to the song (deemed "alright") and then asked him to please lay off a bit on making fun of the music I like, as I'm not forcing him to listen to it and I used to get made fun of for listening to it. I was careful to say it nicely and not insinuate that I felt he was being mean about it, just that I wished he wouldn't, and he was totally cool with it, he said "Oh here we were just talking about people being jerks like that and now here I am being a jerk!"

I got double points because tonight a whole bunch of us went out for dinner after church and while waiting for the bus, all of the NEW YORKER girls were singing country songs. Take that, city boy!
Then, to top off the night, my New Yorker friends were debating when the standard season for various vegetables to be ripe is, meaning that they were very impressed with my knowledge.
Oh, and for all of you from Iowa and other small towns, when I was in Alaska last summer, the island's doctor stopped by on his way to visit some friends (he had met my coworker so stopped to say hi to her). He asked me where I was from and I told him my hometown and where I go to school. He very cheerfully informed me he went to the school in the same town (turned out to be the same school) and that he had friends in a couple of the blink-and-you-miss-them towns in between there and my hometown!
Small WORLD!
Oh, and Kelly H. - my dad used to commute 45 minutes each way from where we live TO a smaller town, where he was in management at a factory. On the other hand, I remember being asked once where I live and answering with the name of my hometown, and that it was in eastern Iowa. the lady asked me if that was a suburb of Chicago or Dez Moin-es. I told her it was a suburb of the cornfields.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I'm glad it all got sorted out. Don't mind these remarks. When i was on a trip to Germany (in high school), we went to our hosts' school to tell about Israel. People actually were shocked to discover we don't use camels as a means of transportation and that it's not all desert! Part of them was really surprised to find out that Israelis are mostly Jews . And when Israelis hear about Russia, they are amazed to discover that in Moscow we had 4 different sorts of public transport. They always imagined bears and eternal winter. What can you do? Most of the people care about their own place and rarely get any interest of something beyond. Lucky, in these days of the internet, you can always google images and information.
Keep having a great time in Australia, I bet it's not all kangaroos
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Don't let it bug you so much.

I'm from a small town, too. The biggest thing going each summer was the Fireman's Parade and the annual DelMarVa Poultry Festival or if you went all the way to Harrington, DE there was the Harrington Fair (the Delaware State Fair).

Just tell 'em that "You were country, when country wasn't cool." Think Barbara Mandrell sang that.

BTW, Dustinac - my brother who lives in NJ IS related to his wife. They are cousins somewhere waaaaaaaaaaaay back in our family tree,

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
oh It's not uncommon in my town to find someone who goes way back related wise and are now married...someway everyone is related by a Cole or a Skaggs...when we have the Cole and Skaggs reunion it's basically a town reunion...so far dh hasn't found any Cole/Skaggs on his side...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
Cypher
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Cypher Send a message via MSN to Cypher Send a message via Yahoo to Cypher
Don't feel so bad. When I studied in Japan, all people knew about chicago was Al Capone, Michael Jordan and pizza. To hell with them and the joking... if its bothering you to the point where you may not want to go on holiday with them, then tell them the small town jokes are insulting and you've had enough tyvm, lets find something else to discuss?

YOU ARE IN AUSTRALIA! Enjoy it.

then then finally
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

People in Australia, the sheep capital of the world didn't know about knitting and the fact that it was still done????
I don't know why people like to make fun of stuff like music and hometowns. Must make them feel better... You just have fun and ignore them, you know what you're about!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #17
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I can totally relate. I'm from Ironton, MO (not quite the end of the world but you can see it from there). There are no stoplights in Ironton! I'm in the big city now, but I love small towns and would totally move back to Ironton if I could find a job making what I do in St. Louis. You should be proud of your town. You probably had a more wholesome upbringing than the ones making fun of you. I'm sure they are kidding, though. I tease some of my friends who still live in small towns--including my brothers who are still in Ironton. I don't mean anything by it and I'm certainly not judging them. There is nothing wrong with country music, either! It's the most wholesome music out there (besides religious music). My daughter & her friends at her "big city" school love rap and country music. Hold your head up and BRAG on your hometown and SING your music! If you google it you'll find that several big celebrities knit, including Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz. It's not a "hick" thing to do.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Iowa in June is gorgeous. I don't think I've seen many places prettier than Iowa in June. I also remember some t-shirts that the U of I had when I was there and I keep kicking myself for not buying one. From left to right there were labeled cartoon-like drawings of corn, cows, the hospital, the river, the pentacrest, cows and corn. I loved that t-shirt.

Let them tease and gripe. They don't know what they're missing!
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #19
msoebel
Turning the Heel

I lived in Alaska for 4 years when I was a kid. Guess what I was asked when we moved back to Michigan? "Did I live in an igloo?" and "Did I ever seal meat?"

Someone once asked me what it was like to live in a foreign country. Yeah, she wasn't very bright.

We always make fun of what we don't understand. What I've found is that if you act like you have something to be embarassed about, the teasing continues. If you act like you are proud of the very things they want to mock, well...it dies off pretty quickly.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #20
Inis
1st Leg of the Journey

Never, ever be ashamed of who you are.

If you ask me, people who make jokes about other people, well, are lacking a bit in their own self-esteem. Keep that in mind and you'll be less likely to get ticked off at them.

I don't necessarily like country, but there's always Keith Urban to change my mind