Old 03-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
Originally Posted by lelvsdgs View Post
What are sweet salad cubes? This is a new term for me.
They're also known as sweet relish, pickle relish, or just relish

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by lelvsdgs View Post
What are sweet salad cubes? This is a new term for me.
What Eccie said
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

My recipe is basically the same as everyone else's, but I squeeze lime juice on the yolks when I mash them. It gives them a great flavor with a little tang.
Angel
Sewing Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sewing Angel For This Useful Post:
HollyP (03-22-2008)
Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #14
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

Ditto the mayo and mustard, mashed with the yolks with a fork...but then I add DILL relish instead of sweet (goes better with the mustard).
HollyP (03-22-2008)
Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #15
dreamsherl
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I boil the eggs (not too fresh or they won't peel) for 15 minutes, and then run them under cold water. Peel them, slice in half and put the yolks in a food processor.

Now's the part where I don't really have amounts. I add mayonaisse until they're the right consistency and taste, then add a bit of dry mustard--again to taste.

Put the goop into a plastic bag and cut the corner and squeeze it into the egg halves. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of paprika if you like.
I do just about the same without the mustard. I add sweet relish.

dreamsherl
dreamsherl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamsherl For This Useful Post:
HollyP (03-22-2008)
Old 03-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #16
knitasha
Turning the Heel

I like them chunky rather than creamy, so I mash the yolks roughly instead of processing them. Then I add finely chopped celery, carrot and red pepper. Lots of pepper and salt along with the mayo and mustard. (This makes a great egg salad sandwich, too.)

For a fancier party (wedding lunch maybe?), add a little sour cream to the mayo (no mustard), process the yolks to a puree and top with a bit of red caviar.

I once tried flavoring the yolks with mashed avocado and a put a little salsa on top. It was edible but the color was nauseating.

The eggs will peel easily every time if you poke a hole in one end with a pin before cooking. When they're done, plunge them into ice water for 10 minutes before peeling.

I've seen a product that combine mayonnaise with mustard (made by French?). Seems like a marketing gimmick to me, but might be handy if you need to make hundreds of devilled eggs.
HollyP (03-22-2008)
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
Carrie218
1st Leg of the Journey

Chalk it up to being a consummate gourmet...

I actually make my own mayonnaise, adding the requisite powdered mustard, to which I also include chopped fresh tarragon and chopped capers and diced cornichons (tiny French pickles), topping each egg with a fresh sprig of tarragon. Elegant and stunning.
Carrie218 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carrie218 For This Useful Post:
HollyP (03-22-2008)
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #18
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Thanks everyone!! I've gotten some really good tips from all of you! I can't wait to make them now.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
Originally Posted by knitasha View Post

The eggs will peel easily every time if you poke a hole in one end with a pin before cooking. When they're done, plunge them into ice water for 10 minutes before peeling.
Really? Hmm I'll have to try that next time I have fresh eggs

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
Marni
Knitting the Flap

I don't have a great recipe to give you and I'm sure all the ones that have been posted are terrific. I don't make them often so I tend to vary the ingredients just a little bit. I do like them more mustardy than mayonnaisey. I do have a egg cooking process for eggs that you can practically peel with one hand and a filling process that I can share though.

Prepare:
1. Buy your eggs 5 days in advance because fresher eggs don't peel as well.
2. I've read that it helps to center the yolk if you keep the eggs on their side for several hours/overnight before boiling them. I've tried it and it does seem to help. An alternative to this method is to center the yolk during the cooking process by gently stirring the eggs in a clockwise direction. Then, after a minute or two, reverse directions, stirring slowly, but constantly. Bring the whole thing to a boil, reduce heat to a low bubble and boil for 3 minutes, still stirring gently. Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit for 7 minutes, The result is a perfectly centered yolk.

Boil:
1. With a safety pin poke a hole through the fat end of the shell being careful not to go so deep that you puncture the yolk.
2. Carefully place eggs in a sauce pan not too big and not too small for the job; you want your eggs to have room to sway after adding the water but not so much room that they can bounce all over the place.
2. Add cold water to about 1" above your eggs.
Myths or Truths I don't do: I've heard that a 1/2 tsp of salt will keep your eggs from cracking. And that 1 Tbsp of vinegar will keep the whites from running out if they do happen to crack.
3. Bring the water to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat so that the water is barely simmering so like medium low. Set your timer for 12 minutes. Another method is just to cover the pan and let it sit off the heat for 12-15 mins; I just feel better about cooking on the actual stove. While your eggs are cooking get out a bowl and put the same volume of ice in it as there are eggs; don't skimp. Add cool/cold water and wait for the timer to go off.
5. Scoop the eggs out of the water using a slotted spoon and carefully set them into the bowl of ice water. I use a spaghetti noodle spoon and can grab 3 at a time with it.
6. Let the eggs sit in the ice cold water until they are completely cooled. Some say the eggs peel easier when they are still warm, but I haven't found this to work for me.

Slice: Use a very very sharp knife or what works even better is dental floss; just don't use a flavored floss! Although awkward, slicing from the top down is the cleanest for going through the yolk, but since we're making deviled eggs here it doesn't matter if the yolk sticks a bit.

Fill: Scoop your prepared deviled egg filling into a quart size freezer bag. Squish out as much air as you can and seal the bag. Now cut a hole about 1/4" across the tip of one of the bottom corners of the bag. Use the freezer bag like pastry bag and squeeze the mixture into your egg halves in an easy mess free manner. I suppose you could use a real pastry bag too, but I don't have those around. If the mixture isn't coming out very easily don't force it or you'll split the bag and start swearing instead make the corner hole a tad bigger.

Other mentionables:
Hard eggs will spin on a counter. Raw eggs won't. Sometimes they get mixed up in the fridge.
Overcooking boiled eggs causes the yolk to turn green.