Old 03-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
betty bat
Ribbing the Cuff

Matching cast-on and bind-off?
Amy did such a good job in the discussion about increasing and decreasing, talking about which increases went best with which decreases, that I was wondering if there is a similar discussion about casting-on and binding-off.

Are there any recommendations about which cast-on and bind-off pair best with each other? Or does anyone have opinions? It probably isn't important most of the time, but I just made a calorimetry and my two edges really didn't look that much alike. They look pretty good (if I say so myself!), but different.

I usually use the long tail cast-on, but for my calorimetry, I used the cable cast on. I broke my elbow a few weeks ago and I found that I wasn't limber enough to do the long tail! I wasn't too good at rotating my hand and moving my thumb. And, I used the Russian bind-off (purl two together, slip stitch from right needle to left needle, repeat). Knitting seemed to be pretty good therapy for my hand and I learned/practiced a few things while I was doing it.
betty bat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If I feel it's important for the two ends to match, I do a provisional cast-on, and then bind off both ends.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
betty bat (03-21-2008)
Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Crochet CO is nearly identical to the standard chain BO. I've used it a number of times.

Some feel the sewn BO (which I really like!) is a match for LT CO but I've not found that to be the case.

cam
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
scmomof4
Ribbing the Cuff

For a k1 p1 rib I like to cast on using the cable cast on for ribbing as described in Vogue knitting. (Point the needle through the last two stitches on the needle, alternating away from and toward you. Then for the first row only knit through the back loops for the knit stitches.) Or shown here as the alternate cable cast on.

The best match for this is the k1 p1 bind off using a needle. Both edges are stetchy.
scmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
betty bat
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the responses on this. I'll have to try some of these techniques out!
betty bat is offline   Reply With Quote