Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
jeanius80
Instepping Out

Help with "Spring Flowers" dress
I need some help. Cause I am about to cry and pull my hair.

The pattern is Spring Flowers, (CH-17) by fiber trends. (ravelry page, fiber trends site) I am using bunny hop yarn (ravelry page, straw.com site).

I got perfect (or so it seems) gauge of 5 SPI. I made 2 modifications in the pattern (swapped out the lace motif and the waist)
Originally Posted by my ravelry project page
modified the waist rounds (instead of p2tog one round then K1, M1, i did a [P9, P2tog] to end (giving me 100 stitches), YO, P2tog round, then a p round, then switched to the light blue color for the top portion. This mimicked the eyelet rounds on the bottom lace portion of the skirt)
I am aiming for a 20 inch round bodice. Since my dd wouldn't let me measure her, i measured a dress that fits her, and it's 20". Am I doing my math wrong? Shouldn't 100 stitches = 20 inches? Is there some secret i should know about this particular stitch pattern? It's essentially seed stitch (K1,P1 round one, then P1 K1 round two) with a round of knits in between. Can anyone offer any advice? I was hoping to get this done in time for her birthday party (April 14....)

THANKS!!!!!
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
scmomof4
Ribbing the Cuff

It looks like you did the math correctly. The trick is if you did your gauge swatch in the same stitch as the "waist stitch" that you are trying to match.

Also, I don't know about you, but I need to do a much bigger swatch and then divide down to make sure my variations are "averaged out."

Best wishes! Little girls and party dresses are the best!
scmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scmomof4 For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (03-22-2008)
Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
The seed stitch pattern would probably be tighter than the stockinette portion.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i measured the stockinette portion of the skirt in various places to get an average, it was always 5 SPI.. the pattern says to use a worsted weight yarn with a gauge of 5 SPI. hmm...

Ingrid- i was thinking the same, i just can't figure why it's bigger than 20". *sigh*
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
That is a bit odd.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Momto G B and H
1st Leg of the Journey

I think that 20 inches might be too big for a jumper style of dress on a girl her age. I just made a skirt for my friend's daughter who is turning 4, and the waist on it was 20 inches. I think your daughter is only 2, right? That style of dress might need to be closer to her "real" body size than that of a different style of dress. Or I might be wrong and you measured a similar style of dress.
Because of the way this dress fits, I think you might need to go a little smaller.
Cee-Cee 4
Ravelry ID--MomtoGBandH
My blog--Put that on your needles and knit it!!
Momto G B and H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Momto G B and H For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (03-22-2008)