Old 06-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Counterpane Preemie Blanket KAL
I've gotten about halfway through (95 rows!!!) the first of 4 squares of this Counterpane project (http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/Square/) and I thought maybe some adventuresome knitters might like to join me in this madness.

Here's the project:

http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/Square/

And here are some of my previous posts while working on it...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...404&highlight=

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ic.php?t=14411

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...hlight=#194068

Happy Knitting everyone!

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
That is gorgeous!!!!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,743 Times in 7,115 Posts
That's a beautiful blanket! If I tried that it might take from now until oh..forever! I guess maybe once you get the hang of it it would go fast?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

If anyone *does* decide to join my insanity...here are the corrections I've found so far. I've sent them to Megan (the author of the website), but don't know when they'll be corrected.

Also, I'm not using 000 needles & size 10 cotton thread...I'm using size 3 needles & what's probably a sport or baby weight yarn. Can't know for sure 'cause it's yarn I frogged from a sweater I no longer like the style of...it will wind up being 20" square; one side of one square = 10" in the needles and yarn weight I'm using.

The Corrections:

Here's a few more...grrrrr.....

Had to go back 5 rows, then 3 rows, but managed to figure it out using the chart...

Row 65 now reads: S1P, P63, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 63, P1

Row 67 now reads: S1P, P65, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 65, P1

Row 69 now reads: S1P, P67, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 67, P1

Diane

...and her (very quick) response...

Hi Diane,

The Chart is definitely what you should work from if you possibly can.
When I first designed the pattern I did it using a chart and for ages
all I had on my site was the chart. Then someone told me they couldn't
read charts no matter how hard they tried so would I please, please,
please write it out for them in words (for free, of course!).

I did write it out but have to admit I did not test-knit my handwritten
instructions. Consequently some bloopers have slipped in due to my
human error. That is, when I've proof-read it I've seen what I wanted
to see instead of what was really there!

I'm sorry it made you go grrrrr and thank you for bringing them to my
attention. If you spot any more please let me know and I'll update the
webpage.

Kind regards,
Megan

It's a challenge, but it's SO much fun watching the pattern emerge! Just takes a fair amount of counting, and we can all do that, right?

JOIN ME!

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
Old 06-26-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
That's a gorgeous pattern!

I think I may join.
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Hi Jenelle,

TERRIFIC!!!

Let me know how you're doing with it! It goes *really* fast for about the first 50 rows 'cause you haven't got many stitches on the needles. The worst is the first bobble row...takes forever!!!

:D

Anyone else up for a challenge?

Diane

Old 06-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
mintdee
Working the Gusset

:thinking: I am considering it as I have a niece/nephew that is currently "cooking" and I have been looking for a blanket to make for the little one. Will it make a good size for a non-preemie baby when made in larger needles and yarn? That was really the only thing that was stopping me before. :thinking:

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Hi Mintdee,

I'd say it would...the needles I'm using are 6 sizes larger than specified, and I think the yarn is about the weight of baby yarn or perhaps a bit lighter. My guess is if you used baby or sport yarn & something like size 3 to say 6 needles, you could get a nice size. With what I'm using, I'll have a 20 inch square when I'm finished with 4 squares. I guess alot depends on what sort of finished size you're looking to get. You can sorta estimate your final size by row 47 (halfway through one side, double that dimension for the length of one side of one square, then double it again for the size of 4 squares put together) or row 95 (one side of one square completed, so just double that dimension).

HTH

:D

Diane

Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #9
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Originally Posted by dplantlady
Hi Jenelle,

TERRIFIC!!!

Let me know how you're doing with it! It goes *really* fast for about the first 50 rows 'cause you haven't got many stitches on the needles. The worst is the first bobble row...takes forever!!!
I have to wait to get to the store and find a nice baby yarn for it. What yarn are you using for yours?
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Hey Jenelle,

Quote:
probably a sport or baby weight yarn. Can't know for sure 'cause it's yarn I frogged from a sweater I no longer like the style of
It's a very light yellow, soft, but very prone to splitting. When I was frogging it & wrapping it into balls, I found it was 3 strands, untwisted, but it's working up nicely...

Hope you find something you like! There are just SO many lovely, scrumptious yarns out there these days...which is what got me knitting again after :thinking: hmmm....let's see, probably at least 30 years...

Someone was working on finishing a baby sweater at "class" last night that was made of "Velvet Touch", unbelievably soft & squishy...Don't think I'd recommend it for *this* project though. I'd say, keep it simple. Let the pattern shine!

Diane