Old 03-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Chikky
1st Leg of the Journey

Relationship advice, please...
So... Here's the short version of the story. (There is SO much more to it) My 'guy' and I have known one another for about 13 years now. He had a girlfriend then, and had them throughout the times we knew each other. He was engaged twice, each time the girl leaving him, and meanly.

So... things between us eventually go from friends to flirty. Then more.

Then he got really sick. The medicines he had to take had an emotional side effect. For 6 months I was the only person he spoke to other than his parents. Plus he was so hurt by how these other women did things to him in the past.

Um, did I mention I had a crush on him forever? Heh.

Anyhow, so we kinda... Moved past friends. And I knew he wasn't ready for a girlfriend. He was recovering medically and emotionally. This was four years ago.

He won't go out with other girls. We talk every night. We do something every week. But he won't say I'm his girlfriend. Every time we talk about it, he is just so amazed at how time has passed so quickly, and how he's just not ready. So I don't ask anymore. It's too good how things are to risk ruining things.

Physically, things were great, though no sex. I don't think he wants to; not yet. He'd be my first. I think that's a lot of pressure. Though we've kinda waned on that... Though I think that's how it goes with how long it's been! Hehe. Plus with my medical stuff, I kinda changed, too. I'll have to get that back on track.

He's been with me through my ongoing illness, now, and this year... For the FIRST time ever, he bought me a Valentines gift, and took me out.

I'd love to move things along. Any wiley womanly ways to do so? And I'm kinda sad... He's going to buy a house, and I'd love to be in it.
"It's a rare man who is taken for what he truly is," he said. "There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so must I be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Chikky is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
gatorjade
1st Leg of the Journey

My response does not exactly answer your question, but I'll try my best. Remember to pay attention to the way you feel when you're around him because that is the most important part! You clearly care about him a lot. Don't feel as though you'd be sacrificing what you have with him now in order to tell him how you really feel. Be completely honest with him, and most importantly, yourself! He'll never know what you're thinking or feeling unless you tell him. He may not be in a good emotional position for a relationship for a long time. You just need to decide if the companionship he's been giving you is worth the wait!

OTN: Drawstring Chemise (IK, Spring '08 Issue)
gatorjade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorjade For This Useful Post:
Chikky (03-23-2008)
Old 03-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I don't know what sort of advice to give you, but i have to agree with gatorjade - you should feel good in that relationship. I've been in long term relationships before and was in love twice before i met my DH. Every time, no matter what the other person told me, it never felt good in my guts. I was in love with one for 5(!) years and it was awful "relationship" and i was 3 years with the other. The guy told the most beautiful things, said he loves me all the time, BUT he couldn't make a commitment, he couldn't say "we'll move in together etc". He never spoke in future in plural. And no matter what - i kept waiting and waiting and having that awful feeling in my guts. Finally, i had a serious talk with him about our relationship and he promised to move in together in 4 (!) years. He dumped me a month later I felt sooo bad about it, it hurt so much, but eventually i realized that this relationship wasn't going anywhere, because his life was always about him only. When i met my DH, the second time i met him i knew i was going to spend my life with him and he felt the same and i DIDN'T HAVE THAT ICKY FEELING IN MY GUTS!I felt great and confident in my relationship. So, do you feel you want to wait? Because you sound really serious about him and i'm not sure this guy will ever be ready for a new thing. You don't have to be afraid or feel like you're walking on glass. One of the most important things in relationships, IMHO, is honesty and the ability to talk about your feelings.
Good luck
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittingNat For This Useful Post:
Chikky (03-23-2008)
Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Chikky
1st Leg of the Journey

Wow... Everyone keep the responses coming. I'd love to hear some more opinions.

But I value the ones given to me already. Thank you both so much.

I do feel good with him, most times. Most important to me, he has been with me through so much and though he sometimes says I'm pessamistic (and I can be, with how awful I've physically felt over the last year and a half) he has always tried to keep me grounded by telling me, heh. He's always saying how he wants me to be better and he's stuck with me.

I dunno. I know it's rough. Sometimes I feel as if things are different, but I know that this much time does change people. And what we've gone through. But I can't help feeling a bit sad when I know his exes have seemingly gotten so much further with him than I have... But who knows. I didn't know them very well.
"It's a rare man who is taken for what he truly is," he said. "There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so must I be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Old 03-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

WOW - I don't really know what to tell you if this has been the status quo for 4 yrs. Have you ever made dinner together? Hang out at your house to watch movies? I think making dinner together with a glass of wine is very sexy (love a man that is not afraid to take direction in the kitchen) and then hanging out to eat popcorn and watch a movie. Turn the lights off and light candles. Maybe since he gave you a Valentine's card get him a random "thinking of you" card and mail it to him. The hubby and I used to do this all the time dating as we lived over 2 hrs apart. I know you are not physical, but do you hold hands, does he put his arm around you when your standing in line at the movies? If other women approach him do you get closer to him and as my hubby says "pee on his leg" to make sure women know he's yours? OH - if you go look at houses with him (maybe even suggest going to an open house one weekend) talk about where you would put furniture or colors you would like to paint things.
Now, I may take some flack for this and I don't know how old you are, but I think we put to much pressure on each other for the "you'll be my first" or trying to make the first kiss or first time together so movie perfect and in reality, it's just not all that (IMHO). I spoiled an otherwise great night in college by trying to make it the "perfect" first night like in the movies. After that I waited until I was in my 20's.
I know there is a lot more to the story than you have shared, but I don't think you'll ruin what you have as friends if you end up in a physical relationship or try to be his girlfriend. You need to be able to talk if you are going to have a relationship so can you just tell him - Hey, it's been 4yrs and I really like you - will you be my boyfriend?
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
Chikky (03-23-2008)
Old 03-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
K, I have a question here and it's like sorta personal n stuff... but, why haven't ya'll done the deed yet?
No need to answer in the forum but something ya'll can think about. I understand if it's for religious reasons n stuff.
I know relationships shouldn't be based on that sort of thing, but it does come into play sooner or later.
Just how long have you guys been a "couple" as it were? 6 months? a year? 5 years? It's sorta hard to tell from what you describe. I would think that if it's been like close to 5 years, umm things aren't gonna change.
Why should they? Unless change is required, most people won't.
If you are happy the way things are then cool, but if you aren't you really have some soul searching to do. Do you really want things to stay this way for the duration? If he's still obsessing over those other girls then there are some problems that need to be addressed.
Well, good luck either way hun!! I hope for the best. (sometimes that's not what we want but what we need).

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fibrenut For This Useful Post:
Chikky (03-23-2008)
Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
Chikky
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, I can say a bit of this is my fault. I'm 28 years old and was asked on a date only one other time in my life, at 19. I didn't have a first kiss until I was 24 (yeah, it was him). Guys just... weren't interested in me, heh. *shrugs*

Quote:
Have you ever made dinner together? Hang out at your house to watch movies? I think making dinner together with a glass of wine is very sexy (love a man that is not afraid to take direction in the kitchen) and then hanging out to eat popcorn and watch a movie.
Well, he would give ME directions around the kitchen. He has cooked for me; he cooks wonderfully! So we have done that a few times. Though he does NOT like movies (and I love them, the one big way we are different).

Quote:
talk about where you would put furniture or colors you would like to paint things.
Hehe, doing that now, in fact. And I didn't say we weren't physical at all... We can get pretty hot n' heavy and all that. *blushes* But he won't... you know. That.

I dunno, I'm so akward when it comes to this stuff. I have zero experience with this and I'm afraid it's ME that's the problem. I don't know when to do what! I never had a boyfriend before, or anyone interested! I'm so lost, that's why I need help.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I think it's quite possible he feels the same way, but, considering how his other relationships ended, he might be too afraid to admit he feels the same as you, and, with you two being such wonderful friends, he might be afraid of losing that if the relationship progresses to something more.

I think you guys need to have a heart to heart. The only way you'll know for sure how he feels towards you is by talking to him. Maybe go out to dinner together or something, someplace totally casual and bring it up casually. I wouldn't pressure him for a response, just let him digest what you have to say and allow him time to think on it if he doesn't respond right away.

Communication is the key to a relationship, and, I believe that should be established from the beginning.

Hoping for the best for the two of you!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
Chikky (03-23-2008)
Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Well, as a guy I can't offer any "womanly" advice, but I'd say let the relationship evolve on it's own.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Chikky (03-23-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:02 AM   #10
Pagan Princess
1st Leg of the Journey

I'd say let things develop. It's the emotional things, the day to day things that make a relationship. Granted, every woman likes to here those three words. But give it time. Imagine if things progressed, could what you have now be what it will be like in the future, if so then it's possible that you are already there.

Good Luck.

Lisa
Pagan Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pagan Princess For This Useful Post:
Chikky (03-27-2008)