Old 03-24-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Ivy
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting two sleeves at a time
I finished Knitty's Daisy sweater recently. I had to knit two sleeves in the same way (all sweaters have identical sleeves, I know!). After one sleeve is knit, I had to make sure the other sleeve is an exact replica. If I made a mistake in my first sleeve, I have to repeat that in the second one. Moreover, patterns specify sleeve length by inches rather than by rows, so I have to measure the second sleeve against the first one.

Looking at these problems, I was wondering if I can knit two sleeves at the same time. I will have to manage two balls of yarns which means yarn tangling and untangling. Other than this problem, is there a reason why I shouldn't do this? I haven't heard of anyone doing this before and may be there is a compelling reason for not doing this?
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've never done it, but one of the women at my LYS always does sleeves two at a time using a magic loop. I'm sure someone will come along and tell you how, or you could look at Amy's video.

Good luck!

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Knitting 2 sleeves at once is not as uncommon as you think; lots of knitters do so.

You can use either the magic loop (1 one needle) to do it or 2 at a time on 2 circs. Deb already pointed you to the ML video. Here are a couple web sites for the 2 circ method.
http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/lessontwo.htm
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

Both these methods assume you want to knit your sleeves w/out seams, as a circle or tube.

However, if you just want to know them flat, 2 at a time, you just need a needle long enough to hold all the stiches. A circular needle will probably work better for you then straights.

As to the 2 balls tangling, put each one in a zip lock bag. This will help keep them from tangling.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I agree. I always knit both sleeves at the same time unless they're knit right onto the sweater.

If you want to knit them flat, circular needle is necessary to hold all the stitches, and I've found that putting a stitch marker between the two sleeves helps me to remember to knit the second sleeve. If I put it down between sleeves, I've gotten mixed up.

With this kind of knitting, the strands generally don't tangle much, and the baggies do help.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
Ivy
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks Marilyn. Thanks for the zip lock bag tip. When I was knitting the visit, I was working with two separate balls of yarn and had a hard time keeping the yarns free. I can use your tip next time.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
kaidyddd
1st Leg of the Journey

When I was knitting two sleeves flat, someone suggested that I pin the sleeves together. One safety pin across the gap did the trick--usually placed a couple of inches below the needles. That helped remind me to keep on knitting across both sleeves (using a separate ball of yarn for each of course) and not turn and knit back on the first before I knit across the second.
kaidyddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
cam90066
Working the Gusset

I always do both sleeves at the same time. I haven't had much problem with tangling as I rotate the ndls clockwise/counter-clockwise every other row. I also use plastic 'boxes' that grapes and other fruit come in (with holes in them...pic attached) that are perfect for keeping the yarns separate. (I use a lot of recycled thrift sweater yarns that are machined threads so am frequently confronted with the potential for tangling.)

cam
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	yarn_org.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	47580  
Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Mike
Working the Gusset

You can also double-knit 2 at a time.
The in the round sock method.

For flat I would do it like standard mirror image double knit projects (ws to ws) , since you'd be turning there wouldn't be a gauge problem of having one arm all knit and the other all purl.
Carrying both strands together is easier than what you have to do with the sock method (ws to rs).

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
Ivy
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for all the tips. cam90066, your plastic box tip is too good. I am going to try it out.

Mike, thanks for the link. I didn't know you could knit two at a time, one inside the other. Now, that is scary!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

I also knit sleeves two at a time - on two sets of needles.....

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote