Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
littleduck
Casting On

Problem Understanding pattern instructions
Hi there
I have been knitting a jacket in Mosaico Moro which is a Mohair blend yarn, the pattern i am using is from Fiddlesticks Yarns but there website was of no use, also I called the distributors phone number which was disconnected ( helpful!!!!).

The part I can't understand is where I am shaping the armhole on the front the pattern reads like this: - At right edge cast off 2 sts at each end, then every 2 Rows 1 st 2 times ok this I am fine with it continues but then under a new heading Neckline it says:

In the meantime at left edge cast off - every 4 rows 1 st 6 times What does that means??? Does that mean I knit 24 rows because if I do it makes it too long for the 63cm measurement that it should end up being.

Can someone help please as I really want to finish this project as I really love the yarn and pattern its just written badly.
thanks

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
scmomof4
Ribbing the Cuff

From how I read it, it would be 22 rows (you decrease on the 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, 18th, 22nd). The question I would have is how many rows per cm have you been knitting at?
The Following User Says Thank You to scmomof4 For This Useful Post:
littleduck (03-26-2008)
Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Dorothy Siemans, the designer of Fiddlesticks, usually writes beautifully clear patterns. There may be an error in this one, but I'm wondering if the problem is that your row gauge is off. In that case, you'd need to try doing fewer rows between the increases to get the length you want.

If you go to www.needleartsbookshop.com (the Canadian distributor for Fiddlesticks), you'll find a link to a Yahoo group that might be able to help.
littleduck (03-26-2008)
Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
littleduck
Casting On

Originally Posted by scmomof4 View Post
From how I read it, it would be 22 rows (you decrease on the 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, 18th, 22nd). The question I would have is how many rows per cm have you been knitting at?
My gauge is correct I am knitting 1.5 rows per cm ( the gauge is 15rows to 10cm) can I clarify how you read this. I would cast off 1 st on the 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th & 18th & 22nd because after that it says every 2 rows 1 st 7 times so that would be another 12 rows or 8cm, its all very confusing and I think the more i read it the more confused I get.
thanks for your help
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
hiya littleduck,
Usually you have to do them simultaneously (neckline and arm hole shaping) you'll do the first part of the armhole shaping, and then after a certain length they will have you start working the neckline shaping, at the same time you are completing the armhole shaping.
I do hope that helps you with your question.
You don't complete one and then start the other you are doing both at the same time.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 AM   #6
littleduck
Casting On

Hi there the pattern actually is pretty unclear but I just looked again and the designs are by Sylvie Bertrand and I can seem to find any mention of her on the site or on Google. My pattern is very different to the ones on Fiddlesticks so not sure how they are related??
Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

littleduck,
Can you post a link to the pattern or transcribe into the post exactly that part you have questions about?
We'll give it a lookover and see what we can do.

LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
Abate of Colorado
The Following User Says Thank You to fibrenut For This Useful Post:
littleduck (03-27-2008)
Old 03-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, if you post just the rows that deal with the armhole and neckline shaping, we can give you more detailed help. fibrenut is correct, most patterns have you start the neck shaping at some point while you're doing the armhole shaping, so for some rows you'll be doing them both at the same time. Though the shaping may be on different rows.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
littleduck (03-27-2008)
Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
littleduck
Casting On

Ok here it goes;
Left Front
Cast on 30 sts and work in rib 4/3 until 12cm continue working in SS until 40.5 cm.
Armhole shaping: At right edge cast off 2 sts at each end, then - every 2 Rows 1 st 2 times,
- every 4 rows 1 st 3 times.
Continue knitting until 46cm.

Neckline shaping: In the meantime at left edge cast off - every 4 rows 1 st 6 times, - every 2 rows 1 st 7 times.
Knit straight until 63 cm
Shoulder shaping: At right edge cast off at each end: - every 2 rows 3 sts 2 times - 4 sts once.

Thank you so much for trying to help me out I am getting a bit desparate as i really want to complete this jacket. I have knitted a fair few jumpers and cardigans before but haven't been as stumped as this with a pattern, not sure if its my post baby brain or the pattern.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

WOOHOOOOO!!!!!! I got it, I got it!!!! (I think )
K now at the start of your shaping they say they want you to BO 2 stitches AT EACH END (BO 2 knit to end, turn. BO 2 Purl to end, turn)

And then you start your decrease shaping on the armhole edge (beginning of the knit rows) every 2nd row 2 times (which turns out to be every k or right side row) and then every 4th row (which turns out to be every other k or right side row) 3 times (one stitch each of course) These are all worked at the BEGINNING of a knit row.

NOW starting on the 4th row at the END of a knit row AFTER the BO 2 , PURL to end is where you start your neck shaping, which would be do what ever shaping if there is any at the beginning of the row for your armhole then work across to the last 3 sts k2tog k1.

Keep working your decreases (not bind offs) at each edge on the rows specified til you've done all your decrease rows and then work even or straight (no shaping) til you've gotten your 63cm. (should end up with 8 sts)

Then, Bind offs for shoulders should be thus:
starting at shoulder edge (rs facing) BO 3 sts, knit to end,
turn. P to end, turn.
BO 3 sts, knit to end, turn. P to end, turn.
Nxt row, BO 4 (directions say this but you'll only have two sts left to BO) so just BO those two Sts. Finish off as per the directions.
Good GRIEF!!!!! I hope I haven't totally turned yer brain to mush!!!!!
But that is the best I could come up with without actually talking to ya in person!!!

LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
Abate of Colorado