Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
tokmom
Turning the Heel

How long have you been knitting and how much do you knit?
You ladies, and men are where I want to be one day. Just very knowledgeable about knitting in general. It seriously amazes me.

How long have you been knitting? Did you take classes or figure it out by yourselves?

How often do you get to sit down and knit and for how long? One quick row or do you get some knitting in at one sitting?

Sometimes I go a few days without being able to knit and I miss it. It's like I don't know what to do with my hands.

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly

Last edited by tokmom : 03-26-2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: because I'm a dork and can't spell.
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I learned how to knit when I was about 5, relearned how when I was about 9 or 10. Didn't knit again until my late teens (and I didn't know how to cast on properly, so I would knot the yarn onto the needle, or have someone else cast on for me). I've really started knitting seriously about a year ago.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
I've been knitting just a couple years now. I learned mostly from KnittingHelp.com! When I first started, I was knitting every night. I'm sort of taking a knitting break right now. I messed up the last 2 projects I worked on, so I'm not knitting anything at the moment and haven't for about 2 months now. I think of projects that I want to do. I keep coming here. I've bought several patterns. I keep looking at knitting magazines. I'm on Ravelry or here looking at other people's knitting! I look at my yarn and I have sort of a "longing" to knit, but I'm still mad at myself. :D
Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
I bought the Knit Knack Kit to learn to knit. After that my husband's aunt that lives out in VA corrected some of my small errors a couple of moths after I started knitting.

Come July I'll have been knitting for 2 yrs. I also crocheter, but lack some of the MAD skills some people have.

As for how much I get done in my knitting really depends on my mood and the time I have during the day. I carry a smaller project in my purse so i can knit in the car (not while driving of course) or while at the doctor.

I normally have 3 projects going at once. One for my purse, one for knitting group and the one I keep at home to work one. This last one is normally something larger or requires my TOTAL concentration.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I learned from a book and from KH. I've only been knitting less than a year and a half.

My knitting time depends on my schedule. I am usually knitting while waiting for my food order in a truckstop or in the evening after I have parked for the night.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
miss_molly
1st Leg of the Journey

I learnt to knit from my mother when I was about 10, then stopped knitting in my early 20's and didn't start again till 4 years ago... a 30 year break. In the last four years I've learnt a lot, mainly by just doing it, but also from googling for information on the Web.

I knit as often as I can - in the car (as a passenger), train, waiting rooms, watching TV, etc - I'm lost on the days I don't have time to knit. I really miss it.

When I'm not knitting, I'm planning - dreaming of what to knit next, and particularly working out colour schemes. What you can do with colour fascinates me.

This sounds pitiful, but I also dream about knitting and yarn... I sleep talk and quite often my poor husband has to put up with weird discussions about knitting, in the middle of the night.
miss_molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
khaosx5
1st Leg of the Journey

Learned when I was about 5 or 6 from my Grandmother. That makes it 34 or 35 years...knit just about everyday (partly for my job and partly to unwind at the end of the day)
khaosx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I've been crocheting on and off since I was little - just learned to knit in 2006. Mainly taught myself and figured out much more here with the videos. I try to knit or crochet (mainly knit now though) every day, even if it's only 30 min. A girl needs her fix ya know! Most nights I can get in a couple of hours, sometimes more. On days where life is too hectic though I really miss it. If I go too long without fondling my yarn my family can tell ... LOL

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I've been knitting about a year and a half. My dd wanted to learn, and I had to learn to teach her. We found a mom-daughter knitting group and the folks there helped us learn...and between times I watched the videos here on KH--couldn't be where I am without that. Also, something I haven't seen recommended too much--the first book I bought was Knit-Fix! I figured with all the mistakes I was making, it would be good to figure out how to fix them without having to wait weeks for someone to show me what to do. Once I realized things could be fixed, I got much more adventurous!

As to how much I knit, it depends on the schedule. I usually take a small project with me anytime there's the possibility of having waiting time---when picking up a dd from work, or going to a restaurant and waiting for food. My main knitting occurs on Tuesdays...my dd has a 1-2 hour trumpet lesson, and a 2 hour jazz rehearsal, so I get at least 3 hours in on Tues!

I also sit with my little girls as they are going to sleep (long story), and I get 20 minutes or more each night doing that. If I ever watch a movie or anything like that, I knit. Basically any time I find myself just "sitting" I try to knit.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
Silver
Instepping Out

I taught myself to knit about 7+ years ago. I try to knit at least a little everyday, but overall, I'm slow at progressing through projects. When I do sit down to knit, I range anywhere from a few stitches, to a row or two, and on a good day, a few inches in length.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote