Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #101
ritaw
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynamar View Post
That hat is so cute! Since when is knitting not resting?
Thanks !!
I have rested when i can . But when i have a 7yr old on holidays from school , i still have to get on with stuff if i can . I did sleep a lot the first few days though .

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #102
Limey
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Cynamar View Post
That hat is so cute! Since when is knitting not resting?

Hiya Cindi

When Rita's got a full head of steam on, that's when!

I suppose she is resting - I've told her enough times - that lovely blue hat with the black stripe is just a figment of my imagination. She didn't knit it - not a knit or a purl in sight - it's not there.

I wouldn't say she knits fast but when she uses bamboo needles her hubby makes her sit next to a fire bucket.

Best Wishes
Ellie
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #103
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Cute hat Rita I'm behind as had to work today,but got half of one done. If you don't follow Dr.Ellie's Instructions you're gonna be in BIG trouble.She knows where you live
Ellie ,Thanks for all your work on trying to find us Americans a address to send the hats to.And another cute hat.WOW 2 hats done I'm impressedYou go girl
I was reading the pattern they give for the hats and it says to use soft wool.Now do you Brits call all yarn wool or do they mean real wool?I wonder if they mean real wool because most of the babies are born at home and the wool will keep them warmer. I suppose most of their homes are cold in the winter,and they do take their kids with them where ever they go.So maybe I'll just make the rest of the hats out of soft wool.What do ya think?

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momwolf For This Useful Post:
Limey (04-15-2008), ritaw (04-15-2008)
Old 04-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #104
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
You gals are hilarious! The imaginary cap is adorable.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #105
Limey
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by momwolf View Post
Cute hat Rita I'm behind as had to work today,but got half of one done. If you don't follow Dr.Ellie's Instructions you're gonna be in BIG trouble.She knows where you live
Ellie ,Thanks for all your work on trying to find us Americans a address to send the hats to.And another cute hat.WOW 2 hats done I'm impressedYou go girl
I was reading the pattern they give for the hats and it says to use soft wool.Now do you Brits call all yarn wool or do they mean real wool?I wonder if they mean real wool because most of the babies are born at home and the wool will keep them warmer. I suppose most of their homes are cold in the winter,and they do take their kids with them where ever they go.So maybe I'll just make the rest of the hats out of soft wool.What do ya think?
Hiya Julie

What do you mean, two hats done!? Cheeky hound! Just how fast do you think I can knit? - Hell's teeth, I've only done one and a quarter.

I'm sorry if the word 'wool' is causing a bit of confusion - Brits of a certain vintage (cough) use the word to cover every type of yarn.

Babies hats are knitted with smooth acrylic yarn. It is usually Double Knitting (aka DK) weight. I tend to buy DK that says on the label that it's for babies or toddlers. Most of this type of acrylic yarn is machine washable at low temperatures.

US Light Worsted seems to be the nearest weight to DK.

I've put a link to a weight chart below which seems to cover the whole range of wool - oops - yarn weights.

http://www.nezumiworld.com/crochet_003.htm

Thanks again Julie for all your kind help.

Best Wishes

Ellie
The Following User Says Thank You to Limey For This Useful Post:
momwolf (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #106
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Ellie,Well that makes my life easier.Was starting to fret that I had to knit the hats I already have knitted over with wool.You Brits have such strange language

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #107
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi Julie

You're right about it being cold during the winter.

Where I lived, near Johannesburg, it was bitterly cold at night. I just didn't realise how cold it could be until I went out one morning and found a thin layer of ice on the dogs water bowls.

Couldn't believe it until I remembered that Johannesburg is 6,000 ft above sea level.

Right now the temperatures will be getting towards freezing at night - during the day, it's not too bad if you can stay in the sun but even then, my kids needed warm winter coats.

April to September is a miserable time for people without access to electricity or gas or even running water. August can be a nightmare - it's known as the 'windy' month and can chill you in no time.

Sorry, I don't mean to preach but having lived there, I know just how cold it is.

Thank you all so much for your kind help. Each hat knitted will make a difference to someone's baby.

Best Wishes

Ellie
The Following User Says Thank You to Limey For This Useful Post:
momwolf (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #108
Limey
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by momwolf View Post
Ellie,Well that makes my life easier.Was starting to fret that I had to knit the hats I already have knitted over with wool.You Brits have such strange language

Nah then, our Julie

Doesn't tha goo seying that w'ev getten a strange road o' speykin, coz if tha does't, Ill start wreytin' in broad Lanci and then tha'll think tha's landed!

Chelp!

from 'er ovver 'ere
Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #109
Karina
Working the Gusset

Even people down south of England have trouble understanding that LOL
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #110
ritaw
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,296 Posts