Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #101
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

the color of the yarn is gorgeous~it will be terrrific at a CPH, Robynbird. Looking forward to seeing your progress! Patty
missmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #102
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by missmom31 View Post
I have another question for Artlady...I have slipped the first stitch in the neck bind-off and I do like the smooth results. I did not slip the first stitch for the shoulder bind-off on the left front of my cph and have a stair-step result. Should I have slipped the first to achieve a smoother edge there as well? When you suggested knitting the first and last stitch in every row to achieve that lovely edge, do you do the same when binding off?? Thank you in advance. Patty
Hi Patty!

Sorry I wasn't able to sign in on my 'puter yesterday. The contractor was here all day, and then, in the afternoon, grandchildren were dropped off for an overnight. Fun, but exhausting. I feel wiped out today!

I do slip the first stitch for the shoulder bind-offs as well. It does acheive a smoother 'line' for later mattress seaming! If you want, it would be easy enough to pull out those few shoulder bind-off rows and work that 'slip-the-first-stitch' trick.

No, for the particular shoulder bind-off rows...I do not use the edge stitch for the armhole leading edge, because instead of knitting it (for an edge stitch), I am slipping it without knitting it. But I still maintain the edge stitch for the neckline edge.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #103
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by robynbird View Post
Thanks! I gave in - I found this at Elann.com and fell in love. I ordered it today in the mineral rose color and should have it this weekend.
OHHHHHHHH I know I know!!!!!! I had seen this yarn myself, in an email Elann sent me! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! I am sooooo tempted.....but, I am on the Stash Wagon this year! I've used up all my Rewards Yarn right now.

I love your color choice, Mineral Rose!

By the way this yarn is spun, it looks soft! Oh my. You'll have so much fun!

I'm sure you noted that the skeins are 109 yards each. And what a great price!!!! Whoo Hooo!
I haven't made it to the Joann's Etc for my zipper yet. Today is a free day, so I should run over there if I can summon up some incentive and energy!

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #104
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
OHHHHHHHH I know I know!!!!!! I had seen this yarn myself, in an email Elann sent me! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! I am sooooo tempted.....but, I am on the Stash Wagon this year! I've used up all my Rewards Yarn right now.

I love your color choice, Mineral Rose!

By the way this yarn is spun, it looks soft! Oh my. You'll have so much fun!

I'm sure you noted that the skeins are 109 yards each. And what a great price!!!! Whoo Hooo!
I haven't made it to the Joann's Etc for my zipper yet. Today is a free day, so I should run over there if I can summon up some incentive and energy!
Thank you Artlady! I am "supposed" to be on the stash train but all the projects I want to make require more than one or two skeins and that is what my stash is mainly. I think I might try to sell off what i have since I can't see myself using it.

I wanted the Donegal tweedy look and when I found it at Elann.com (whom I LOVE) I couldn't resist anymore. The yardage was pretty awesome at the price so I bought ahem...22 skeins. yikes!

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:45 AM   #105
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I'm having a devil-of-a-time resisting that yarn, Robyn! Oh my...

When you get your yarn, let us know! Post a photo of one skein!
A good closeup! OK?

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #106
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I'm having a devil-of-a-time resisting that yarn, Robyn! Oh my...

When you get your yarn, let us know! Post a photo of one skein!
A good closeup! OK?

I sure will! It shipped yesterday priority so I should have it tomorrow.

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #107
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks again, Artlady, for your expertise and advise!!! How is the kitchen coming???
missmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #108
MiaZilla
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to MiaZilla
I ust finished my CPH; seamed, button band knitted and all. I do however have a small problem. The sleves are tight. Like a size too small tight. Now I can wear them but the yarn get itchy when it's stretech too tightly. And considering that it's Malabrigo, that's quite a feat (I am incredily sensitve as to what I find itchy though XD).

So I appeal to you, oh wise knitting gurus, is there any way to make the sleves bigger without reknitting them? Could I, like, take out the seam and then sew in a strip of knitted fabric?

The rest of it is so perfect tough Malabrigo Applewood (nr18) is the pettiest yarn, all soft browns that shifts in pinks and subtle greens. <3!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #109
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by missmom31 View Post
Thanks again, Artlady, for your expertise and advise!!! How is the kitchen coming???
Everything DONE, with the exception of mounting the new cupboard doors. They will be done next week!

This is the area that caught afire! Over the stove! New range, hood & refrigerator.

I can live with this! Cupboard doors will be a week.

I'll have my kitchen back!

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #110
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by MiaZilla View Post
Could I, like, take out the seam and then sew in a strip of knitted fabric?
Yes, good idea! A sleeve gusset!

I did this one time...on a cardigan that was too small for my 'beam'.
I knit a 20 st wide 'gusset'...gradually decreasing out the extra 20 stitches...so that by the time the 'gusset' was the right length to fit from bottom edge to armpit...I was down to 1 st.

So, using the color of Malabrigo (applewood)...cast on enough stitches that will give you the extra width for your sleeve. Knit the first so many inches to match your cuff...and from then...just knit plain st st. Remember to include 1 extra stitch at each end of the row for the seaming edge stitch.

When the sleeve gussets are done, you will have to seam gusset 'side A' to sleeve edge 1...and then seam gusset 'side B' to sleeve edge 2 (double duty in the seaming department)...but it will look great. Please use mattress seaming, if you don't already use it. It's almost invisible!

Good luck! Please post a photo for us when you are done!!!

Here is a photo I took of my cardigan's 'gusset'!!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
MiaZilla (04-26-2008)