Old 03-29-2008, 03:04 AM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
MY NOTEBOOK
Here is my photo of my "workbook" for the BACK of this CPH.

Notice that I've made a copy of the cable charts, color-coded them, and glued them onto the notebook page, opposite of the first page for the BACK. This color-coding helps me to "learn" the pattern, and not "mis-cross" a cable! Ever done that?

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
lactosefree (03-29-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:13 AM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

MY NOTES FOR LEFT FRONT
Here is a photo of my workbook for the LEFT FRONT.
Just the act of re-writing the instructions is an aid to sink the pattern steps into my brain. I know what I am gonna do each step of the way, before casting on. This "homework" speeds up the knitting process. It removes doubt and error, which results in time-consuming days at the frog pond!

I am almost to the armhole region. Tonight I am knitting away to reach that 14.5"...Repeat 7/Row 4...needed to begin the armhole cast offs. I already know that the LEFT FRONT will measure 14.5" after Repeat 7/Row 4 because my notes from the BACK pieces tell me this. Won't even have to measure. The little red threads are keeping track for me! (the 10-row-repeat markers)

Anyway, some folks think I knit fast. I don't.
I knit methodically...with preparation and a clear plan.
I keep a project notebook like this for everything I knit.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-30-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

wow art lady, you are so organized!

i'm going to bust out a blank notebook and get started on taking notes. I've never done that before but I must say I think it's a good habit to develop.

I cast on the back and I have about 3 inches of the ribbing with the smaller needles. I noticed that the finished length of the back and side panel is only 14.5", but I would prefer it to be much longer. Will it affect the pattern if I just knit the length following the bigger sizes but keep the width for 48? I wonder if 150 yards is enough to cover that extra length?

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
There is also a corrections page. One small minor correction. CORRECTIONS PAGE

I downloaded the newer pattern from the website and it does NOT have the correction for the left front from the link above that reads:
Under “Left Front”
Row 2 (WS) *K2, p2; rep from * to end of row.

The pattern I downloaded says Under "Left Front" Row 2 (WS) *P2, k2; rep from * to end.

I was sent a corrections info page that said:

----
The errata is also listed below:

Under "Back" on page two, the first sentence after armholes should read:

Armholes: BO 4 (5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8, 8) sts at beg of next 2 rows, then 2 sts at beg of foll 2 rows-66 (72, 78, 84, 90, 102, 118, 126) sts rem. Dec row (RS) K2, ssk, work in patt to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2-2 sts dec’d. Work 1 WS row. Rep last 2 rows 1 (1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 5, 7) more time(s), then work Dec row every other RS row 0 (0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 7, 7) times-62 (68, 74, 80, 86, 80, 92, 96) sts rem.

And under "Right Front" on page 3, the first two rows of instructions after the sizes should read:

Sizes 32 (36, 40, 44, 48)" only:
Row 1 (RS) *P2, k2; rep from * to end of row.
Row 2 (WS) *P2, k2; rep from * to end of row.

Also, on some charts on page 6, the row numbers may have shifted. The corrected charts are now available.
----

No reference to the left front. So, I'm assuming they forgot to mention the "Left Front" Row 2 WS error? This would make sense because the back starts off in a rib stitch and if you follow the pattern correction for the right front, it is also a rib stitch.. if i did not fix the left front error, the left front would start off in a ribbed seed stitch...... right?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #15
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Upon reading the entire pattern and making notes into my notebook I'm realizing that the 14.5" isn't the completed length.

If I'm interpreting this correctly - the 14.5" back includes the initial 4" ribbing and then i see that there is 9" for the armhole so the total is actually 23.5" for the entire length of the sweater...?

My favorite hoodie that I measured is 22" in length from the bottom to where the hood starts. So if that's the case the CPH will be 1.5" longer, so I don't need to add length.

Am I reading the pattern correctly?

Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Susan!

I'm sorry I didn't get to open up my 'puter yesterday! We have 4 grandchildren for the weekend, and we took them on a field trip yesterday! By the time I got home, I headed for a hot bath, a glass of wine, and bed! Early for me: 10 pm!

Yes, you are reading the pattern right. Our CPH is 14.5" to the armpits...and with the armhole region added, our CPH will measure 23.5". That is certainly long enough for me! If it's too long it starts to look weird.

I will print the extra ERRATA you found and try to digest it later. I don't know if it will impact the size I am making. I made the 40" for DD...and the 44" for myself...the directions for them don't vary much.

I haven't had any problems so far. I started and ended my ribbing for the BACK with K2's. And then side seam for my LEFT FRONT also starts with a K2. This will not mean that the side seamline will have K4 because 2 of them will be enclosed within the seam...so the seamline will have a K1 on each side of the line. This keeps the continuity of the ribbing true. Did I say that right?

Anyway, let me go ahead and post this...and I will read up on the other issues you mentioned and get back to you!

You are doing a fine job!

I wrote out my RIGHT FRONT workbook/notebook yesterday...and cast on for the RIGHT FRONT ribbing...but had to quit at row 4.
Grandchildren beckoned! "Let's go Gramma!" I knit in the van a little bit, but then started to get kinda rummy. Had to quit.

Artlady at Rav
lactosefree (03-30-2008)
Old 03-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by lactosefree View Post
Sizes 32 (36, 40, 44, 48)" only:
Row 1 (RS) *P2, k2; rep from * to end of row.
Row 2 (WS) *P2, k2; rep from * to end of row.

Also, on some charts on page 6, the row numbers may have shifted. The corrected charts are now available.
----

No reference to the left front. So, I'm assuming they forgot to mention the "Left Front" Row 2 WS error? This would make sense because the back starts off in a rib stitch and if you follow the pattern correction for the right front, it is also a rib stitch.. if i did not fix the left front error, the left front would start off in a ribbed seed stitch...... right?
U R right! That was the error. They just wrote the ribbing language wrong. When I knit my first CPH...even though I had printed out the correction...I actually forgot to look at it...but ended up doing the 2x2 ribbing correctly out of habit.

Of course, the RIGHT FRONT being a mirror image...any correction for the LF would apply to the RF as well. I forget if they messed up on the RF directions. Nonetheless, keeping our ribbing true is the rule!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-30-2008 at 03:04 PM.
lactosefree (03-30-2008)
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

RIGHT FRONT workbook/notebook page
Here is a digital photo of my RIGHT FRONT notebook page.
I made additional notations as I worked on the RIGHT FRONT.
But this is what I write up before casting on one stitch.

BTW, if you haven't already figured it out...my notebook language has some mysterious numbers for the rows. To demystify the shorthand:
a number like 11/8 means Repeat11/Row8. In other words...this particular row 8 is within repeat 11.

12/2 means Repeat 12/Row2. Etc.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 04-01-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

I wasn't sure how much the yarn would 'grow' in the ribbing since I only swatched on the larger needles, so I knit 3.5" instead of 4".

Then for the back itself I figured I would need around 11" or so after blocking to get the 14.5" total if the ribbing didn't stretch so I calculated that I would need to knit 66 rows since the gauge is 24 rows to 4". I suppose I could have knit to the back a little shorter since I'm thinking the 3.5" ribbing will stretch a bit, but I figured better safe to go longer than shorter.

I'm going to start on the armholes later this evening.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	chpback.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	47666  

Old 03-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

LEFT FRONT TIPS
Here are some tips to help you along with the LEFT FRONT.

My LEFT FRONT, done...but still needs washing/blocking.

You know that I use little red threads to mark the 10-row-repeats.
This little gold thread is marking something different. It is marking the row on which I started casting off for the armhole. Why? Because we are now instructed to knit away until the armhole is 6.5". All you have to do is measure from the gold thread upwards to get an accurate measurement of your armhole as it progresses!

This is a shot of the top region of my LEFT FRONT. Note that 10 stitches at the neckline edge have been placed on hold. The new neckline edge is now moved to the right...to the first k stitch beyond the 10 cable stitch repeat. I mention this because I've seen a lot of questions about this step/concept on other knitalongs.

This is a photo closeup of the 10 st that you will be placing on a holder (I used waste yarn). These 10 stitches will remain unused until later on when they will become a part of the hood. They will continue up and over the hood. Just forget about them for now.
I prefer waste yarn because holders get in the way when I wash the piece and lay it out to block and dry.

closer up

Artlady at Rav
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (06-27-2008), lactosefree (03-30-2008)