Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #201
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Robyn,

I read your comment about the closure method still being up in the air...maybe you'll do buttons, maybe you'll do a zipper.

Did you make buttonholes in your right-side ribbing? If not then your button closure method could be toggle buttons on the left side with I-cord loops on the right side.

This weekend I made a 12 st wide 'facing' for the inside of my zipper on both sides. This self-yarn 'facing' starts at the bottom edge of the zipper, and stops about 1" past the top of the zipper.

The purpose of the facing is to cover over, and enclose, the inside of the zipper itself, which looked shoddy being lt grey with hand-stitches in dark blue. It just looked tacky from the inside, and especially when the half-way zipped sweater lays over like a lapel.

I really like the 'substance' that the facing gives my zipper area, too! I hand-stitched it into place while watching "The Notebook" on TV.

If anyone is interested, I will take a photo of the facing and post it.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #202
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Robyn,

I read your comment about the closure method still being up in the air...maybe you'll do buttons, maybe you'll do a zipper.

Did you make buttonholes in your right-side ribbing? If not then your button closure method could be toggle buttons on the left side with I-cord loops on the right side.

This weekend I made a 12 st wide 'facing' for the inside of my zipper on both sides. This self-yarn 'facing' starts at the bottom edge of the zipper, and stops about 1" past the top of the zipper.

The purpose of the facing is to cover over, and enclose, the inside of the zipper itself, which looked shoddy being lt grey with hand-stitches in dark blue. It just looked tacky from the inside, and especially when the half-way zipped sweater lays over like a lapel.

I really like the 'substance' that the facing gives my zipper area, too! I hand-stitched it into place while watching "The Notebook" on TV.

If anyone is interested, I will take a photo of the facing and post it.
I intended to put a zipper in from the beginning but then at the end my husband and daughter suggested buttons so if I do buttons it would have to be the toggle kind. I'm still leaning towards a zipper though.

I'd love photos of the facing you made. Thank you for all your help!! I reviewed your posts often to figure out how to do things.

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robynbird For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (06-17-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #203
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Robyn!

Well, the toggles and I-cord buttonloops would definitely be easier, and very cute! I think toggles and buttonloops look great on a jacket. Much nicer than traditional buttons/buttonholes.

I have a jacket that has the toggles. Lemme see if I can find a photo. Just a sec....

Yup, I found them!

My sweater (above) is very 'rustic' looking...your CPH is very feminine and pretty...so your toggles could be those new 'glass' looking barrel toggles! So
cute! I got some large ones at Joann's recently! I wonder if Joann.com has them?

Let's see. Just a sec....

Well, I didn't find them online at Joann's website, so I took photos of mine. These are the largest size. They also come in smaller, suitable for baby's and toddler's sweaters!

As you can see, they are chunky little things! I really like them. I buy them all the time. In both sizes. I think they would look great on your very pretty, feminine Central Park Hoodie. It would suit you, too! You are very pretty! Darling, actually!

Hope this helps!

Hugs,

Artlady

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 06-22-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #204
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Thank you for your nice comments!

Those are nice! I will have to look into getting some for my Juliet. I decided on a zipper for my CPH and have installed it.

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #205
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by robynbird View Post
Thank you for your nice comments!

Those are nice! I will have to look into getting some for my Juliet. I decided on a zipper for my CPH and have installed it.
PHOTO! PHOTO!

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #206
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to shortnsweetly
Thank you with help for the sizing Artlady! I have my ribbing done for the bottom of the back, so now I'm at the main part. I have never done cables or charts, so just to clarify; the chart only shows the cable in one row. It doesn't make sense that I would only bringing the yarn to the front or back for the cable one row out of the entire chart pattern repeat. What is it really asking for?

Last edited by shortnsweetly : 06-18-2008 at 10:52 PM.
shortnsweetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #207
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by shortnsweetly View Post
Thank you with help for the sizing Artlady! I have my ribbing done for the bottom of the back, so now I'm at the main part. I have never done cables or charts, so just to clarify; the chart only shows the cable in one row. It doesn't make sense that I would only bringing the yarn to the front or back for the cable one row out of the entire chart pattern repeat. What is it really asking for?
The chart is a 'repeating' chart. That means: in that specific 10 row repeat, the cable is worked on row 3 of each repeat. One cable row for every 10 rows is a nice, gentle cable effect. Not ropey. It has it's own soft look. But, yes, one cable row per 10 rows repeat is right.

Keep track of your repeats very carefully. I mark the repeats with a little red thread between Row 10 of one repeat and Row 1 of the next repeat. This helps me always know where I'm at.

Go slow at first. Always make sure where you are in the repeat. Don't cross your cable too soon, nor too late. If you find that you've boo-booed...tear it down to the error and re-knit. It is a learning experience.

But, look at all my photos here within the KAL...and you will see my little red threads, marking the repeats.

This also helps when you go to make perfect mirror images for the left and right fronts. You will know exactly which row to begin the bindoffs for the armholes. Keep a notebook. I have photos in the KAL showing pictures of my notes. I always make a notebook for every project. It helps me know where I'm at, and it helps me get the pattern worked out in my head before I start. This prevents mistakes in the first place...and eliminates a lot of frogging and re-do's.

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #208
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I'll be 'off the grid' from Sunday, June 22 til Sunday June 29th.
This is where I will be, and this is what I will be doing! I won't have internet access in the wilderness at 4,300 ft! I will have knitting needles, DH, the 4 dogs, and sun, wind, air! The 10-day weather forecast says that we will be enjoying the same weather as last year!

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #209
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to shortnsweetly
Thank you Artlady! My first cables went very well last night, and I really appreciate your advice for the rest of the sweater. Enjoy your vacation! It looks like a wonderful place to be. = )
Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 AM   #210
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

You're very welcome! I will check in with you as soon as I return on Sunday June 29th! I will definitely need my Knitting Help Fix!

Artlady at Rav