Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #221
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by shortnsweetly View Post
I know it needs to be hand washed, but what do you use for soap? The detergents at home seem too harsh. And I always see blocking boards on knitter's websites. Do I need one of those to block my sweater? What's involved in blocking? Any tips for a beginner? I understand that's quite the complex question, and I really appreciate all your help and patience with this project. Thanks!

I followed Artlady's advice and bought the Unicorn Fibre Wash and Rise. It's a great product for hand washing wool knit items.

In terms of the blocking board, I own the Sew Ez Board made by Guardian products. I love my blocking board, but it is definitely a luxury and not a necessity.

You can easily use towels on the floor or get an inexpensive cardboard measuring board and put plastic wrap over it or use the foam alphabet puzzle mat for kids, etc. It doesn't have to be expensive. Just remember to use pins that won't rust.

Here's a great article about blocking on Knitty.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lactosefree For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-01-2008), shortnsweetly (07-01-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #222
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi shortnsweet!

On page 3 of this KAL...post #26...I talk about blocking. And, again on post #30 (with photos on blocking tips).

And again on page 4 (posts#37 & #39) has info about the blocking board, blocking wires...where to get it, how to do it, etc. And if memory serves me...I think I talk about how you can make a less expensive blocking board from those cardboard accordian-fold-up seamtresses cutting boards and clear tablecloth vinyl from the fabric store.

We shared a lot of chat on pages 2-5 about blocking. Just check through those pages. But for sure, pages 3 & 4 have blocking stuff.

You will be AMAZED at how much better your stitches look when you block the Tahki Donegal Tweed!!! I made the leaf green CPH for my DD first...before my blue one for this KAL...and hers was the Tahki Donegal Tweed! It was not easy to knit with, I'll admit, but it sure improved after blocking!!!

Please do consider purchasing the wash and rinse I suggested in my post. The UNICORN FIBER WASH people are just great, and you'll have your wash and rinse product in a flash. You can buy little bottles. I bought the 16oz bottles, but there is even a smaller size. It goes a long ways.

I am proud of you for approaching this CPH with a professional mind! Your CPH can be a learning curve for you! Once you see the improvement in your knitted garments with blocking first, seaming next...and using the mattress stitch for seams...you'll never look back!

What color of Tahki Donegal Tweed did you buy?

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #223
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to shortnsweetly
All the blocking instructions look great! I will take both of your advice and get the wool wash. That was a great suggestion. I think I'm going to wait to block everything when all the pieces are done, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Right now, I'm working on the last part of the front left piece. After all the shaping is done, the pattern says to continue on until the piece measures the same as the back piece, up to the neck shaping. Do they just mean to continue knitting until the front is the same length as the back? Or is it more specific than that? Wow, that question looks pretty silly when its typed out like that, but I've gotten so far, I don't want to mess it up!
Happy 4th of July!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #224
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by shortnsweetly View Post
All the blocking instructions look great! I will take both of your advice and get the wool wash. That was a great suggestion. I think I'm going to wait to block everything when all the pieces are done, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Right now, I'm working on the last part of the front left piece. After all the shaping is done, the pattern says to continue on until the piece measures the same as the back piece, up to the neck shaping. Do they just mean to continue knitting until the front is the same length as the back? Or is it more specific than that? Wow, that question looks pretty silly when its typed out like that, but I've gotten so far, I don't want to mess it up!
Happy 4th of July!
Yes. Let's say...your BACK shoulder shaping BEGAN on Row 99.
Then, you would begin your shoulder shaping on Row 99 of the Left Front, and on Row 100 for the Right Front. Left Front shoulder shaping begins with a RIGHT SIDE facing you. Right Front shoulder shaping begins on a WRONG SIDE facing you.

Now you know why I install those little red marker threads at the end of every 10 rows! And I make note in my PROJECT notebook about what row numbers important things occurred.

The red threads are 10 rows markers. The white thread marks the row on which I began my armhole decreases. It makes it easier to measure the armhole length. The patterns always say something like "Now continue the armhole til it measures 9") Well, that is difficult to measure...but not with the white row marker in place. I just measure from it to the row just under my knitting needles!

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #225
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you very much Artlady. I just needed to clarify. I finished my left front and have cast on for my right front. I can't wait to get to the sleeves, I think they will be a nice change of pace!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #226
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Alright I couldn't stand it! I took the plung and started last night. Here she is after 4" of ribbing and one pattern repeat on the back, 16 rounds...

not bad for 2 days knitting, right?!
I'm knitting the first stitch of my purl rows like you suggested & I can see how that's going to make such a difference! I'm also using the Celtic cable down the middle back, from Lisa Kay's CPH, I found it on Ravelry it's hot pink. Anyway I love the looks of the cable, but boy do I have to pay attention, I'd probably be twice as far on this if I wasn't doing that cable (or if I didnt have 3 little ankle bitters). I'll keep you updated. I know Karina has started hers too, can't wait to see pics!
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #227
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

OMG! That is such a cool modification! WOW! I was thinking about making another CPH for myself (using Crystal Palace TAOS green tweed)...and if I do...I will definitely use your idea regarding the CELTIC CABLE up the back! I took a look at Lisa Kay's blog. I like your ribbing better (plain 2x2 rib) I don't much care for the cables extending down into the ribbing. It is nice for some things. Not the CPH. Are you gonna put the CELTIC CABLE up the sleeves as well? I think it looks very artistic in the sleeves!

Lisa Kay is quite an accomplished knitter. I have already printed out her modifications (from her blog)! Now I am positive I will make another CPH!

I have 3 yarns to decide between:

1) Oatmeal/cream Tahki Donegal Tweed
2) Cream/undyed/natural Malabrigo Merino worsted
3) Crystal Palace TAOS green tweed

Here is the TAHKI Donegal Tweed, although it is not as white as shown:

Here is the Malabrigo:

Here is the Crystal Palace TAOS:

Scarf I made for my DD using TAOS green tweed, same color number:

What's your opinion? I'm stuck.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 07-08-2008 at 07:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-09-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #228
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Julie - that's beautiful!!

Artlady - all 3 would be lovely but I really like the color variations of the Taos yarn!!

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robynbird For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #229
shortnsweetly
Ribbing the Cuff

I like the Taos Green too Artlady! I would LOVE to see a CPH worked up in that yarn. Let us know what you decide!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #230
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Yeah, I'm liking the TAOS, too! Besides, maybe the cream MALABRIGO is too dressy for a hoodie! And I was going to use the Tahki Donegal Tweed for a different 3/4 coat called MELISSA by Elsebeth Lavold. I forgot about my plan for the MELISSA, which wouldn't look good in TAOS tweed!

Well, now to stalk the UPS truck! I ordered the green tweed TAOS and another TAOS color called Chaco Canyon.

Here is the CHACO CANYON:

I know I'm being a pest...but, between the green tweed TAOS below... and this Chaco Canyon above, which one would look best for the CENTRAL PARK HOODIE, in your opinion? I need your feedback. If they are equally good in your opinion, just say so.
I could rummage my patterns and find a pattern for the other color.

Green Tweed TAOS:

Artlady at Rav