Old 07-09-2008, 03:44 AM   #231
Karina
Working the Gusset

I really like the scarf and the way the green knits up. I think it would be easier to decide if you had a swatch knitted up of the Chaco Canyon.

I did start the CPH Viking version a couple of days ago. I happened to get 12 skeins of Rowan summer tweed on half price sale, went straight onto ravelry to see what people made with it. One person had made a CPH using that yarn, used up 12 skeins knitting my size. That just told me that it was destiny calling, I did get my DH go back to the shop and get me another bag of ten skeins just in case. Did not want to be half a skein out. Can always use the extra yarn for something else.

Will go take a picture of my progress so far.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:22 AM   #232
Karina
Working the Gusset

Here is 3 photo's of my progress so far

I have completed the ribbing and the transition rows and am about to start the first pattern repeat.

The ribbing measures 4.5 inches and the whole thing 5.5 inches. had to make it that extra half an inch to stop on row 5 of the cabling.

Here is the first photo of the whole thing

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPH Ribbing.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	49035

Here is a photo of the centrel ribbing done with the cable. I love the thin cable going up. very pleased how that turned out.

Name:	CPH Central Rib.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	49037

here is a photo of the cable on the side. I would not do this on the next one. like the cable but not how the edge is a bit lumpy.

Name:	CPH Cable Rib 1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	49036

Feel like a bit of a donut at the moment. was looking at it last night and though one of the cable repeats on the side looked bigger. Thought maybe I had miscounted and done a couple of extra row. so went back 8 rows ripped it out stitch by stitch as I did not want to loose my count on all the different cable rows. Finally got to my goal just to realise that the slight difference in size is because I went from a 4mm needle to a 5mm.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #233
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
OMG! The pink Summer Tweed is knitting up FABULOUSLY! I made a Viking Knits pullover back in 2004 using Rowan Summer Tweed in a red called Summer Berry. It is wonderful! You will love it!

My LYS (over in North Eastern Washington by our wilderness property) is having a half-price sale on Summer Tweed, too. Hmmm. Makes me think maybe Rowan is getting ready to discontinue it. That's what happened to POLAR, too. BTW, can you imagine my joy to discover a QUALITY YARN SHOP over in Hicksville, USA? I mean,this little town at the base of our mountain property is teeny weeny. Only one grocery store, and two gas stations, and lots of local eateries! No Starbucks, No Walmarts, No McDonalds and such! And one divine yarn shop!
Oh, and a great art gallery, and a couple old timey hotels!

A great little town actually! So unlike anything I've ever seen!
The yarn shop owner is all over me! She is running the shop in the two front rooms of her little house on main street! She is very classy. Lithe, grey-haired, and in the summer she wears white linen capris and shirt with great handmade jewelry! She is a great knitter, too!

Anyhoo, enough of that.

THANKS so much for the input. Yes, that is a good idea. I will swatch the CHACO CANYON Taos when it arrives. The proof is in the puddin' they say! JimmyBeansWool emailed me that the CHACO CANYON is on backorder fo r2 weeks. That's ok. I gotta finish my brothers jacket, and tonight I wound my 15 skeins of NATURWOLLE BLACK FOREST yarn. On our wilderness week (next week)...if I get Rick's jacket pieces done, I'm gonna make a VOGUE Buttoned Cape for myself.

The Ruana and the Ponco that I started for Ethel, my brother's wife, are a bust. I hate them. As I knit along, thinking about the project and how it might look of her...I got discouraged and scrapped the projects. I just haven't hit upon the right pattern with the right yarn FOR HER. sigh. So, for now, I haven't chosen anything for Ethel. Hmmm. I wonder...maybe a Central Park Hoodie? It comes in the larger ladies sizes now. (like I'm small...yeah right! ) But Ethel is taller than me by quite a bit, and she is BUSTY. I'm not, and I made the size 46 finished chest.

PS: I found a cable in my computer files, called FLIRTATION. A free cable design from VOGUE. Just GOOGLE 'vogue flirtation cable' and tinker around on their website for the free stitches section. It's there.
I might do this cable on each side of that CELTIC/VIKING lattice cable! I like it!

Oh gads, I'm tired. I'm gonna say goodnight. I recorded the finale episode of HELL'S KITCHEN tonight!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Karina (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #234
Karina
Working the Gusset

I was wondering if you ever sleep. Love the vogue cable.

Am about to put in a lifeline, if a mistake should happen again it would be easier to just rip it out to the lifeline and then start again, so will put in a line every pattern repeat.

I have to say I am very pleased with how this CPH is working out and will definitely make another one. Nice to know that your can put your own spin on it by using different cables on it. Makes every one a bit different, have forgotten how much I love to knit cables. Last time was when I made a cardigan for my daughter when she was 18 months old (about 12 years ago)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #235
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Thanks everyone I'm very pleased with it too! I'm 10" in as of last night from the bottom up, and the pattern says to continue in the pattern until 14", that does include the ribbing, or no?

Karina I love that color! it's looking so pretty! Maybe Maisey would want one?

ArtLady (what's your name?) I really like the green Taos yarn, but would love to see a swatch of the canyon too. I'm thinking either of those would look nice, esp since you just used the cream color to knit that beautiful long coat for yourself. How long does it take you to knit a CPH?
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
Karina (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #236
Karina
Working the Gusset

I have finished 11 inches, can't put it down. The 14 inches is including the ribbing. I am sure the pattern said 14 inches in total.

I was thinking to make mine about 16 inches before the decreases for the arms ( would like to cover some of my butt) any body made their CPH longer and did it work out well?

I think I should have loads of yarn left over to make something for Maisey, would be cool to make a matching CPH for her, since she is only 2 she is unlikely to argue with me.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #237
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Hi Karina,

I made my CPH 1" longer. And of course, you're right: the time to do it is before you begin your armhole decreases.

But there have been many sweaters that I make longer! Some have been 5" longer! Especially, Mmy KHAKI CABLES white cotton cardigan: it is shown in the book as a cropped cardigan. I made mine to ride over my hips. Prolly 5" longer.

And the answer given about the 14" is right. When a pattern says something like "when the pieces measures 14", begin the armhole shaping"...unless stated otherwise, it always means the whole shebang.

OK, I'm off to work on my brother's jacket!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jberry16 (07-09-2008), Karina (07-09-2008)
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #238
Karina
Working the Gusset

Here is a photo of the back so far. I have done 4 repeats of the cable in the centre and it measures 16 inches so I will start shaping for the sleeves.

Name:	CPH Back.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	49055

I am really enjoying this knit, was a bit fed up today when housework and errands stopped me working on it.

Off to put kids to bed then the shaping starts.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #239
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
Karina it looks great!!!
:( I just had to 13 rows of mine, b/c I'd crossed the left side cables wrong starting 13 rows back. I'm so right now, it sucks! I only had 4" to go on it till I was done with the back. But I couldn't leave it b/c it didn't look like a cable, it looked like a snake. Thank God for lifelines!
I know, darn housework! sheesh.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jberry16 For This Useful Post:
Karina (07-10-2008)
Old 07-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #240
Karina
Working the Gusset

With the speed you are going at you will be caught up in no time I'm sure. Still annoying when that happens. I agree though with cables the mistake will stare you in the face every time you look at it. best to rip and do over. Post a photo I want to see. i love that blue colour you are using.