Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #521
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Are you working two sleeves at one time?

It's not too late to stop and make yourself a mock sleeve using the BACK. You could still add extra width from the elbow up.

Well, another idea...put your sleeve on waste yarn...and pin/seam it together and try it on now.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #522
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
I'm doing both at once. I did as you suggested and used the back, and I also have the sleeves on a long cable and clipped it on. I think it will work out.
Thanks SO MUCH for this great KAL, Dollyce! What are you working on lately?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 PM   #523
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I'm working on two 3/4 length cardigans, both Elsebeth Lavold designs: Melissa and Phoebe. Phoebe is all done knitting, and almost all the blocking. Then seaming.

Melissa fronts and back are done knitting and blocking...but I am still working on the sleeves. Had the 1st sleeve almost done...and realized that I needed to re-knit it so that the blocks arrangement where the sleeves seam next to the body will be reverse in pattern. Doh.

I also took some "side trips"...and knit a Palindrome scarf with the leftover yarn from Phoebe, to wear with Phoebe. And am currently knitting a Brioche Reversible Cabled Scarf using leftover yarn from "Something Cocoa" cardigan.

The side trips are a break from Melissa. Melissa is a boring knit, and on top of that, the yarn (Tahki Donegal Tweed) is hard to work with. It is scratchy, and its nubbiness requires more hand muscle to work the stitches, and my right hand gets to hurting.

So I take a break and knit on something else that is soft and compliant! Fortunately, after washing/rinsing/blocking...the Tahki Donegal Tweed feels real nice. Not Malabrigo nice...but nice enough!

Here is a model photo of Phoebe:

Here is a model photo of Melissa:

Here is the Palidrome (still needs blocking):

Here is the Brioche, at 32" halfway done:

I've been swatching some new yarn tonight. Got some
great yarn on sale at ELANN...Peruvian Highland Donegal Tweed. It is a worsted wt...skeins are 109 yds for $2.80! Very soft, too! Single-ply which is my favorite. I want to design a zip-up sweater jacket for my DH, similar to my brother's Rick Ryan Jacket. I have some software called the Sweater Wizard. All you have to do to start off: find a yarn, make 4"x4" swatch using your pattern stitch of choice...then VOILA.

You enter your swatch data into the wizard, including needle size, and then your choice of style, neckline, sleeve style and shape, etc...and the wizard gives you the schematics and all the directions for the sweater. It is incredible. I am going to use the Wizard for guidance this time because I did way way way too much re-knitting on my brother's jacket, enough to last a lifetime. I'd rather give birth to another baby than knit another jacket on the blind.

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #524
G J
Instepping Out

WOW! You are a prolific knitter! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Brioche! Is it a free pattern? Is the back as pretty as the front? The sweaters and the palindrome are pretty, too!

The software sounds AMAZING! Have you used it before? I'd love to know how it turns out! I'm ALWAYS changing patterns to make them do what I want them to do, but it's always with some trepidation and re-knitting. I don't know if I'd rather have another child, though!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #525
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I too have Sweater Wizard. It's great.

I have about four inches of the back left on my CPH. The progress is slow, but it IS progress!

I am going to physio and chiro on Monday and perhaps I will be able to get more done after that!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #526
G J
Instepping Out

Wow, Christine! YOu're making fast progress for not being able to knit much! Do you like Sweater Wizard?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #527
G J
Instepping Out

I THOUGHT I was following the pattern increasing the sleeve at the END of every 8th row.
"inc 1 st each end of needle every 8th row 9 (10, 9, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7) times, then every 4th row 0 (0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 5, 7) times—56 (58, 64, 66, 72, 78, 88, 90) sts. Work even in patt until sleeve measures 18½ (19, 19½, 20, 20½, 20½, 21, 21)" from CO, ending with a WS row."
I just did it at ONE end. Was I supposed to do it at BOTH ends of every row? It's becoming lopsided.

ETA: I am SUCH an idiot! I didn't see the word EACH end of needle...DUH!> Now to frog and re-knit!

Last edited by G J : 11-01-2008 at 04:27 PM.
G J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #528
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by G J View Post
WOW! You are a prolific knitter! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Brioche! Is it a free pattern? Is the back as pretty as the front? The sweaters and the palindrome are pretty, too!

The software sounds AMAZING! Have you used it before? I'd love to know how it turns out! I'm ALWAYS changing patterns to make them do what I want them to do, but it's always with some trepidation and re-knitting. I don't know if I'd rather have another child, though!
Yes, the Brioche Reversible Cabled scarf is like the Palindrome...identical on both sides, and yes again...it is also a free pattern. If you are a Raveler...just type Reversible Brioche Cabled Scarf in the patterns search bar.

Yes, I've had this software since 2004. I love it. I swatched all 3 colors last night...all are 4"x4" swatches using the broken rib...and it is amazing...each color swatched out a bit differently. So I typed the row and stitch gauge into the Wizard for each color...and got a new pattern for each color. So now, whichever color I decide on...I'll have the specific pattern directions for each!

It is well worth the money...but becasue I am mainly a 'pattern follower'...I forgot I had this wonderful tool. Only after the agony of my brother's Rick Ryan Jacket did I realize...DOH...I shoulda used the Wizard for the foundation and framework of this build! DOH!

The Wizard is much more meaningful after you've done it the hard way. Ain't that just LIFE??

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
G J (11-01-2008)
Old 11-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #529
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by G J View Post
I THOUGHT I was following the pattern increasing the sleeve at the END of every 8th row.
"inc 1 st each end of needle every 8th row 9 (10, 9, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7) times, then every 4th row 0 (0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 5, 7) times—56 (58, 64, 66, 72, 78, 88, 90) sts. Work even in patt until sleeve measures 18½ (19, 19½, 20, 20½, 20½, 21, 21)" from CO, ending with a WS row."
I just did it at ONE end. Was I supposed to do it at BOTH ends of every row? It's becoming lopsided.

ETA: I am SUCH an idiot! I didn't see the word EACH end of needle...DUH!> Now to frog and re-knit!
I feel ya! Been there, done that! At least you now know what the problem was. I didn't have to add inches in width to my sleeves. And I have fat arms IMO.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
G J (11-01-2008)
Old 11-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #530
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gina; I`m not really knitting fast considering I started this project about three weeks ago. In normal knitting life I would have been finished this project already, but right now is not `normal`. Oh well, life goes on.

Sorry you had to frog!

IMHO Sweater Wizard is well worth the money. I also have Sock Wizard. They are great!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
G J (11-01-2008)