Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #561
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamsherl View Post
I havea question for you ArtLady. I have completed my daughters CPA. She wanta a zipper in it. Do I use regular thread to sew in the zipper or yarn?
Yes, I used reg. thread in a contrasting color to baste the zipper, and an identical color to hand-stitch the zipper. Then I removed the basting stitches.

Good luck!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
dreamsherl (12-04-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #562
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I got the left front started on my CPH. I have the ribbing and a bit of the pattern done. It is going so slowly! When you can only knit two or three rows a day you know it will take a while to finish. Oh well, at least the physio people didn't tell me not to knit at all like the doctor had. Once I get far enough I will post a picture.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #563
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Knitter!

We will be so happy to see your finished CPH! Doesn't' matter how long it takes! Hang in there! We'll be here for you!

Hugs,

Artlady

Artlady at Rav
The.Knitter (12-05-2008)
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #564
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I'm waking this thread from the dead with an interesting question! I haven't read all of the pages and i'm sorry if i'm asking a question already asked. I'm going to get the yarn for this pattern late May and i'm already checking out projects on Ravelry and thinking a lot about it... I was thinking of knitting all the pieces together till the armholes. What do you, CPH experts, think? Will it lose shape since there won't be any seams on the sides? And how about the sleeves - maybe in the round? I would love your input By the way, i'm not getting a soft, flowing yarn, but true Irish donegal tweed.
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #565
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Some knitters did make the CPH in one piece up to the armholes.
And some of the knitters did make the sleeves in the round.
Other knitters have picked up stitches around the armhole and knit the sleeves in the round down to the cuff.
And, most of these knitters have made these modifications to avoid seaming. (not to save the time spent seaming, but to avoid seaming itself which makes them nervous)

I recommend knitting the pieces separately.

1) blocking will be more accurate (and easier IMO)
2) seams add structure
3) seaming the sleeve 'tube' into an arm 'hole' will be a nightmare if you aren't a master mattress seamer in the first place
4) when you tinker with a sweater's basic construction, you will be trading one time consuming activity (such as seaming) for a more time consuming activity (figuring out how to conform modifications to the pattern).
5) how does one block a sleeve that's a tube?
6) if it was a good idea to knit in one piece up the armholes, the designer would have made it that way IMO

But, that said, in the end, everyone came out with a great CPH! And, some folks relish the 'learning experience' of modifying the set pattern! So, it's really up to you.

Within my KAL however, I couldn't help folks who departed from the pattern as set forth cuz I didn't go down that road. In our KAL, the modifiers helped each other out. They were all happy campers in the end, without too many tears and gray hairs!

I love the CPH and made two of them! Your yarn sounds wonderful! BTW, be sure to block your pieces by the full bath and rinse method. It really helps tame the donegals.
I use UNICORN FIBRE WASH & RINSE! It is absolutely the best sweater wash and rinse I've ever tried! It works wonders with donegals and malabrigos! Makes all the difference!

Artlady at Rav
KnittingNat (04-06-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #566
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

ArtLady, thank you for the quick answer! I was considering knitting the CPH in one piece not to avoid seaming (which i masochistically like), but to save me from being bored by knitting the same pattern all over again and again. And i wonder if the tweed will hold the structure without the seaming or the seams will add to a more slimmer look of my waist? I'll keep thinking about that and will decide when i'll get the yarn. And i'll ask DH, he's good at this kind of things. Actually, i've noticed that sometimes designers are not offering the best ways to knit a garment. For example, i've seen many designs by Kim Hargreaves for Rowan where a Fair Isle piece is knitted flat. I can't imagine myself knitting FI flat and not in the round And i know that i'll probably never attempt that and surely modify the pattern into knitting in the round with steeks ( i can't believe i just said that with full confidence!)
By the way, i'm using the same wash and rinse, after your advice, it really makes a difference! And i'll definitely wash the tweed and not just mist it.
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #567
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Gotcha! I follow your meaning, about the boredom issue. It would definitely be complicated and complex to work the FRONTS and BACK as one piece. Each row would have so much to remember.

Knitting in one wide piece (BACK and FRONTS) would be boring to me. "Neverending Rows" so to speak.

I found it to be more interesting to knit the pieces separately.
I start with the BACK, making good notes about what started where, and then duplicating that for the LEFT FRONT, also making good notes about what starts where, then duplicating that but reversing shaping for the RIGHT FRONT.

Some knitting 'experts' commented that seams do add stability and structure. I dunno. Can't add my 2 cents to that cuz I've only ever knit something in one wide piece up to the armholes when the pattern dictated to do so. That is usually with designs that are very complex and side seaming would disturb the pattern. I've made just a few of those types, usually for little girls, but once for my DD. Here is the type of sweater I'm talking about. I made these for my DGS's:

You definitely CANNOT have side seams on these little SPRINGTIME cotton coats!

You are right about the Fair Isle! Who IN THE WORLD would say to knit Fair Isle FLAT? I can't even imagine the process! Nightmarish.

I heard that the 'not seamed' CPH hung more sacklike on the body. But I can't imagine it looked bad, afterall, it is just a jacket! Who cares? I made a size 46 but with larger needles to get a size 47 cuz I wanted it to be a JACKET not a cardigan. I wear a pullover sweater under it when we walk down to the movies in cold weather. Toasty!

I wear this (Silky Wool):

...with this (Debbie Bliss Luxury Donegal Tweed):

and it isn't tight! It zips up real nice with room to spare!

I think you'll do fine whichever way you put your CPH together...all in one piece up to the armholes, or separates.

However, I do recommend that you knit the sleeves FLAT, seam them, then insert them into the armholes using mattress stitch and those baby clippies I recommend for holding the sleeve into place, with all the edges eases together for a smooth even 'join'.

This is my CPH, undergoing the seaming!

This is my bed jacket, with the sleeves ready to be seamed into the armholes, the flat method, with sleeve and side seams worked after that.

Artlady at Rav
KnittingNat (04-07-2009)
Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #568
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
My CPH is finished. I got it back a few weeks ago. Two people in my Sock KAL offered to knit on it, and I actually let them. I finished the back, and started one front. One then knit both fronts while another knit the sleeves, then mailed them to the first who put it together and knit the hood. When I got it back I took it and had a zipper put into it. It's my most precious piece of knitting because of all the love knit into each stitch. I love my "Texas Hug CPH". It went from Canada to Texas, to another part of Texas, back to the first place in Texas and back to Canada. I am so thrilled to have it to wear. It is comfy and fits perfectly. Here is a picture!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	front view Texas Hug CPH, smallest.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	52408  

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #569
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Positively wonderful, Knitter! I remember your yarn now!
A nice black and white tweed! Great job, and it's so good to see it all done! It fits you to the T! Great job of fitting!

Artlady at Rav
The.Knitter (04-14-2009)
Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #570
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Christine, It was such a pleasure to do it for you! I'm glad you are enjoying it! I'm so glad Carey's and my gauge was spot on to yours, too! It made the seaming go very smoothly!
The Following User Says Thank You to G J For This Useful Post:
The.Knitter (04-14-2009)