Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #591
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Cherami View Post
Thank you ArtLady,
I read them all and I am sure I will go back to them when I start knitting. I have couple questions for now. I saw that you hand stitched your zippers to your CPH. Is it better than doing it on a sewing machine? I was thinking that mashine would give a neater stitch appearance. Also, I odered elann.com superwash bamboo yarn for my hoodie. Is this yarn any different in handling that I should keep in mind? Can I use Unicorn wash and rinse on it? Thanks again for this thread and answering my questions
I would be careful with a bamboo yarn, i had some experience with this particular fiber. Make sure you knit a swatch and wash it. Measure before and after washing. Usually bamboo won't hold it's shape and become very drapey, as in "not snug and springy as the hoodie should be". It's also a heavy fiber that pulls itself down. So really, try to swatch and see how it goes.
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittingNat For This Useful Post:
Cherami (10-18-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #592
Cherami
Casting On

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I haven't tried the Superwash Bamboo. Don't know anything about it.
Sounds very nice! Is it warm? Just be sure to get the right 'gauge'!

I wouldn't try the sewing machine to install the zipper. I've read some notes (by other knitters) that it's a disaster. It is almost impossible for a knitted fabric to perform like normal 'material'. It catches, it stretches, it goes all wonky...and THEN...if you have to 'do over'...it's impossible to snip the stitches!

I baste first, then take tiny stitches. It works! Patience. Don't rush yourself. My zipper had performed perfectly for me!
It came yesterday. Totally different color than it looked on the screen. But I still like it. Bamboo gives it nice sheen and its very soft. Now I am worried after KnitNat's post. I will swatch it and see if I still like it
Cherami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #593
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Hi! Please be sure to let us know how the Bamboo swatches.
And you might wash the 4"x4" swatch, too...just to see how it reacts.

I can't say I've ever used a bamboo blend. But mostly my 'vegetable' sourced yarns are cotton.

I used Rowan "Tapestry" for two scarves. It is 70% wool, 30% soybean silk fiber. It was nice to work with, and blocked real nice!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 AM   #594
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

I like this cardi and may make it in the future. I wanted to comment on bamboo.

I bought both a pair of thick socks and a pair of thin socks made from bamboo and nylon.

The thick ones are great for wramth, they seem wramer that wool. I can't wear them in the summer. The problem I have though was that each pair had excessive wear and bare spots after only a few wearings. The thin ones after just one, and the thick ones after about three. They were not worth the price I paid.

I've noticed very nice bamboo blend yarns at Hobby Looby and considered them for scraves, but after my experience with the socks I wonder if it too will be problematic.

Last edited by Lighting57 : 10-19-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #595
Cherami
Casting On

I was looking for some wool blend, not a 100% wool because I wanted to wear this sweater on cool summer evenings. And wool would too warm. With the speed (or slowness) I am knitting, it will probably be only by summer anyway. So this is what I foundhttp://elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAM...Price&Count=17 It is 65% superwash wool and 35% bamboo. I will swatch tonight (managed to burn my right hand yesterday), wash it and let you know.
Cherami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #596
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

You know, with the fiber content being MOSTLY WOOL, I think this yarn will work fine! Really. Let us see your swatch! Thanks for the Elann link to your yarn! The model sweater is gorgeous!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Cherami (10-20-2009)
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #597
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

I have got the pattern from Interweave, and have been searching for something to knit CPH in that does not cost $200-$350 NZ dollars for the garment. I have just sent for a colour sample chart from Anna Gratton Little Wool Co. that may have something suitable at about $NZ150.

Cherami, that bamboo/wool blend looks lovely.
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #598
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi Lulu!

A couple of our Clasica Coat knitters have been having great success with Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool, and Cascade Ecological Wool. Big ole hanks of almost 500 yds each, and not too expensive at that!

I dunno if you have those two yarns available to you...but if so, give them a thought!

Artlady at Rav
Old 10-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #599
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Hi Lulu!

I dunno if you have those two yarns available to you...but if so, give them a thought!
I don't recall seeing Lion Brand or Cascade in New Zealand at all unfortunatly. We have nothing at all suitable in Kaitaia and I have been checking all NZ on-line suppliers for something good, but not hideously priced!

I still have not been able to get a Knit Picks acct to get the Calluna Jacket pattern, but am hoping that someone in Creative Fibre NZ or Vintage Purls groups on Ravelry has an account with them.

I will make them come hell or high water!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #600
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

Oooh .......... Art Lady! I think you may have pointed me in the right direction!! I have found Cascade 220 at Southseasknitting.com 100gr balls are 203 mtrs. Knits to 18 - 20 stitches to 4 inchs on 4.5 - 5.00mm needles and is $NZ15.00 per 100gr.
It sounds a bit lighter and finer than the yarn for CPH but I think I could adapt it. There are lots of colours available too.