Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #651
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks! With your excellent advice, this whole knitting thing is decepitvley easy!
letsknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #652
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Well sticky fingers moved my camera so no picture, but the back is blocking right now and looking really good! Even my nephew was impressed and that is saying a lot! LOL Is anyone else doing this sweater right now? I feel lonely!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #653
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey Letsknit - I'm working on a CPH also. I've been sorta nervous and not too confident about it, since it's been probably 20 years since I tried a sweater. I've been going to town on afghans and scarves and pet snuggles over the past couple years, and those are easy - gauge doesn't matter, and there's nothing to sew together, which I hate! But I love the hoodie and figured I'd try it. I went with Wool Ease (color:wheat), because (still scared) I didn't want to spend a fortune in case I really botched it!

Anyway, I started about 3-4 weeks ago, and I've got the back and sides done. I knit the back and sides all as one piece (did I mention I hate sewing things together??) I need to block it yet.

I just started a sleeve. Has anyone knit the sleeves in the round? I'm trying that, and hoping it doesn't mess me up (still avoiding the sewing...) I'm wondering what that will do to the blocking.

Anyway, I need to read back through everyone else's experiences which I haven't had the time to do. Too busy knitting...

Carol

Addicted to knitting...
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #654
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm about 3/4 finished with the left front and then I'll start the right tomorrow! I can't wait to be done and wearing this sweater. I am always amazed that it is ME that is making this one ad I'm doing it right so far...
Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #655
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by chj View Post
I knit the back and sides all as one piece (did I mention I hate sewing things together??) I need to block it yet.

I just started a sleeve. Has anyone knit the sleeves in the round? I'm trying that, and hoping it doesn't mess me up (still avoiding the sewing...) I'm wondering what that will do to the blocking
It's difficult, but not impossible, to block sleeve tubes. But, be careful that you don't set permanent creases in your sleeves.

I recommend knitting the sleeves flat, then blocking them, then seaming them into the armholes, then seaming them up from cuff to armpit.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
chj (11-23-2009)
Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #656
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

ArtLady - Thanks. I know you are right. The truth is that I can knit so much faster on straights, that the time I save knitting will more than make up for the time it takes me to sew them up. I've only got about 2" done, so I think I'll start over. The other good thing about that is that I can knit both sleeves at the same time and make sure they are the same!!

Thanks for your (always wise) advice!

Carol

Addicted to knitting...
Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #657
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Here is my unblocked WIP.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	CPH WIP reduced.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	53747  

Addicted to knitting...
Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #658
bittle
Casting On

Hello *sigh* oh how I would LOVE to be advanced enough to join you in this knitting project. I am a beginner getting ready to knit yet another garter stitch poncho: http://www.maizehutton.com/easyponcho.html! Each year I plan to advance but life has a way of bringing about detours that get in the way of my knitting goals...anyway, I also wanted to say how much I love the sweater you knitted for youself as well as your two girls. They are blessed. I have been wanting a very long hooded knitted sweater like the ones that were popular in the 90's??? Those were so cool but I 've only seen people go as long as the 3/4 length.

At any rate, have lots of fun completing this!
Deleska
bittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #659
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

bittle, i haven't been knitting 6 months! This sweater is so easy. It really amounts to counting rows and knowing when to knit and when to purl. Between this site and youtube, you should be able to find visual aides to assist you in figuring out anything that you don't understand. Don't ask me why, but I had to watch a SSK video on youtube several times before I finally figured it out! LOL Also, the only way you are ever going to advance in your skill set is to just do it. This KAL doesn't end so my advice would be to read through the entire thread, take a few notes and get started. Someone is always here to lend a hand!

chj, your sweater looks so great! I love the color. I am at the armhole shaping on my left front. For some reason, those decrease rows really slow me down a lot! I'm confused though because it says for the size 56, to make decreases to 40 stitches and at the same time when the armhole measures 6 inches place 11 stitches on holder for neck shaping and that I should have 29 stitches on the needle when I finish armhole shaping. Now my armhole is at 6 inches but I have 42 stitches on the needle so at 6 inches if I remove 11 st for the neck, I am left with 31 stitches on my needle. Is that right and then I just continue with my last two decrease repeats (which is a total of 8 rows) to get to 29?
The Following User Says Thank You to letsknit For This Useful Post:
chj (11-23-2009)
Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #660
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by letsknit View Post
I am at the armhole shaping on my left front...it says to make decreases to 40 stitches and at the same time when the armhole measures 6 inches place 11 stitches on holder for neck shaping and that I should have 29 stitches on the needle when I finish armhole shaping. Now my armhole is at 6 inches but I have 42 stitches on the needle so at 6 inches if I remove 11 st for the neck, I am left with 31 stitches on my needle. Is that right and then I just continue with my last two decrease repeats (which is a total of 8 rows) to get to 29?
I studied the pattern for your size very carefully.
I also concur with the pattern that you should have had 40 stitches on the needle BEFORE placing those 11 neckline stitches onto a holder.

Here's a summary of what you should have done, beginning with the very first row of the Armhole Shaping, and assuming that you do have 63st on the needle from your original cast on:

RS: BO8 (55st remain)
WS: even
RS: BO2 (53st remain)
RS: Dec row: K2/SSK/ pattern to end (1 dec leaves 52st)
Repeat the last 2 rows 5 times MORE (1 dec times 5=5 dec's & leaves 47 st)
Now, repeat the decrease row every other RS row 7 times (1 dec times 7=7 dec's & leaves 40st on the needle)

I do believe you understand the NECKLINE SHAPING that should commence when the armhole is 6"...and so at 6" and on the RS row...you will work across that row...placing the last 11 onto a holder. You will use these 11 to work up into the hood at a later time.

Perhaps your stitch count is off because you did not complete the second bind off instruction (BO2)...OR you didn't complete all of the SSK's.

Hope this helps!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote