Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #661
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,892 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by chj View Post
Here is my unblocked WIP.
This looks really magnificent! Proud of you!!!!

I think it's a good idea that you knit both sleeves at one time...using 2 skeins of yarn.

Here's a little tip:

AFTER you have both sleeves casted on, take a safety pin and pin them together where they sit side-by-side. (or take a red piece of yarn and tie them together).

Why?

When you have BOTH on the left needle...and you knit the first one (A)...then you have (A) on the right needle and (B) still on the left needle...BUT if you have to get up to take a call, or go potty, or switch the tv channels, or you have to break up an argument between your kids...ANY DISTRACTION at all...you will forget which sleeve is next! You might pick up your work and re-do the wrong side (A) sleeve without giving the right side of 2nd sleeve (B) it's turn. Been there, done that!

It can become totally confusing to FIX a problem after-the-fact! Trust me on that one!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
chj (11-23-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #662
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Good tip, ArtLady. I can TOTALLY see where that problem could happen! I had already pledged to myself never to put the needles down in between sleeves.

Addicted to knitting...
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #663
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I studied the pattern for your size very carefully.
I also concur with the pattern that you should have had 40 stitches on the needle BEFORE placing those 11 neckline stitches onto a holder.

Here's a summary of what you should have done, beginning with the very first row of the Armhole Shaping, and assuming that you do have 63st on the needle from your original cast on:

RS: BO8 (55st remain)
WS: even
RS: BO2 (53st remain)
RS: Dec row: K2/SSK/ pattern to end (1 dec leaves 52st)
Repeat the last 2 rows 5 times MORE (1 dec times 5=5 dec's & leaves 47 st)
Now, repeat the decrease row every other RS row 7 times (1 dec times 7=7 dec's & leaves 40st on the needle)

I do believe you understand the NECKLINE SHAPING that should commence when the armhole is 6"...and so at 6" and on the RS row...you will work across that row...placing the last 11 onto a holder. You will use these 11 to work up into the hood at a later time.

Perhaps your stitch count is off because you did not complete the second bind off instruction (BO2)...OR you didn't complete all of the SSK's.

Hope this helps!
Well I guess I better start kissing some frogs then.....
letsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #664
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

PS: FYI:

The term EOR (every other row) means every 2nd row.

But, the term "every other RS row" actually means every 4th row, for example:
1: work a WS...
2: no decrease on this next RS row
3: work next WS
4: then work this next RS row with a decrease
5: work the next WS
6: no decrease on this next RS
7: work the next WS
8: then work the next RS row with a decrease...and so on.
You may already know this, but it's a tricky instruction, and can mess up the length of your armhole if not worked correctly.

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #665
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Yup after frogging...and paying close attention to what rows had decreases, I did miss one decrease that would have had me all good otherwise. I swear those decrease rows give me the flux!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #666
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok I'm back with another question...

When I made the back, I put a life line in when I started the armhole shaping. When it was time to measure the armhole for 9 1/4 inches, I measured from the top of the sweater down to the life line in a straight line. Then when I got to the same point on the left front, I realized that the armhole line is more of a diagonal. If I measure the left front from the top to the life line, I get 8 inches, but if I measure the actual armhole stitches, I already have 9 1/4 inches. My question is this, where do I measure for those 9 1/4 inches? Do I do it straight from the top to the row I started on or do I measure the actual shaping stitches?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #667
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Well, This is what I know:

When I knit the Back...I place thread markers every 10th row...or if it's a cabled project...I place a thread marker at the top and base of every repeat. I place the thread in the st st part of the sweater.

I keep measuring from the ribbing up to the armhole bindoffs. Let's say you are supposed to start binding off for the armholes at 19". When I reach 19"...by counting the cable repeats...I will know exactly what repeat and what row within that repeat reached the 19" requirement. I'll make a note (in my notebook, under "Back") that 19"=10 repeats/4 rows. My shorthand will look like this: 19" (10/4)

Then, my notes will say: Begin armhole shaping. Bind off 4 at the beg of the next two rows: 10/5 & 10/6. I will place a different color thread to mark row 10/5, where the first bind off occurred. (if I was using red to mark the repeats, I'll use black to mark this row 10/5 for the beginning of the armhole)

Now let's get to the armhole length before beginning the shoulder shaping bindoffs.

The directions might say to work so many decreases on the armhole edge (for fronts there's only one armhole edge, for the Back there are, of course 2). Then the directions might say: when all decreases are satisified, knit even (meaning "no further decreases) until the armhole is 9" from the armhole bindoffs.

I already know that the armhole bindoffs occurred on Rows 10/5 & 10/6 (using the Back for our example). So, when I think I am approaching the 9", I'll start measuring from that black thread marker (which is keeping track of the armhole bind off row). When my work on my needle is 9" from that black marker, and on the next RS row...I will begin my shoulder shaping bind off sequences.

I always work the Back first. I measure carefully for the Back, and keep good notes about what repeat and row that significant things occurred. I don't take those markers out until I am ready to block the entire 5 pieces. You never know when you will have to refer back to them.

Anyway, back to business. Next, for my two Fronts I don't really have to measure again. I just keep track of the repeats and rows...and do all my bindoffs and other significant things on the very same repeats/rows that I did for the Back.

For example, for the Left Front...when I get to Repeat 10 Row 5 (10/5)...I WILL MEASURE, just to verify the 19" requirement...but usually it is spot on. If not, then I investigate if I counted my repeats and row right. If I did the repeat/row markers right, I double check my row gauge. Maybe it took me a long time to start the Fronts. Maybe my row gauge is off. Also, be sure that you are not distorting the knitting when measuring.

Anyways, I hope I've answered your question, and also thrown in a couple of my own knitting tips.

I do these row markers for every project I knit. It really helps keep things on track.

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #668
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

That is mostly what I am doing. Following your advice. It just occurred to me that the diagonal line of the armhole is longer than the straight line from the top to the reference thread. But it sounds like you measure from the top down like I did so I'll just keep plugging away at it then. Thank you so much!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #669
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Yes, you're sure right. You don't measure your armhole heighth along the curved edge. You measure it from your lifeline to your knitting needle before beginning the shoulder shaping bindoffs, or short rows if that's what you're using.

Sounds like you have everything under control! Just needing a bit of reassurance!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #670
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank goodness because I thought I was gonna have to redo the back! LOL Would you believe that I haven't made a single move on this sweater until I got this info. Thank you so much!