Old 11-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #671
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #672
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

I am still hanging in there!!

I have done the back and half way up the two fronts, but work and life have got in the way a little. I am frantically trying to knit the last 4 pairs of Xmas present socks before the big day. I have 2 and a half weeks off work from the 23rd December so hope to finish CPH then.
But I keep up to date with what people are saying here.
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #673
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Nice to hear from ya, Lulubell! There's always time to finish your CPH during Jan-Feb! Keep in touch!

Artlady at Rav
Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #674
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Hiya, Lulubell - I'm plugging away also. I have both sleeves going right now (about 12" done) and my back and sides are also done. I had to finish up a small afghan/throw that is a Christmas gift (done!!) and also a couple of pet snuggies in anticipation of a visit to the local animal shelter. Now that I am down to "just" my CPH, it feels really weird!! I might still have to make a couple of wine bottle hats and scarves for hostess gifts. But I'm also hoping to get the CPH done in time for the new year.

Addicted to knitting...
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #675
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

IDK, for some reason, I keep finding other things to make instead of finishing my CPH. I made a scarf, a coffee cup cozy, AND I started two hats! LOL I did pick it up and look at it for a long time yesterday before I started my CC cozy. Does that count?
letsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #676
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Haha, letsknit - yes, picking it up and considering it DOES count.

I have my CPH sitting next to the chair where I watch TV. I'm at the point where I need to start decreasing for the sleeves, and because it requires paying attention, I tend to pick up something else that is more mindless (a couple of christmas colored dishcloths I need for hostess gifts, my pet snuggles, etc.) As long as you are knitting something, it seems OK to me.

Addicted to knitting...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #677
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi again - so I've finished the sleeves (yay!) and am ready to start the hood. Jumping the gun a little, I'm curious about how to do the buttons. I've read some of the earlier posts, but just don't have the time to read all 68 pages! I see that ArtLady put in a zipper, and I won't even consider that. My sewing skills are limited to buttons - which is why I knitted the back and sides in one piece, to keep the sewing to a minimum.

Did anyone make buttonholes and use buttons? Or use the loops like on the pattern? I allowed plenty of width so I think I can safely put buttonholes in the ribbing going up the front. Chances are I'll wear the sweater open and not button it anyway. Any buttonhole tips are appreciated!

The other question I have is about the hood. Are there any tips on keeping it from being too pointy when it's sewn together? I did see ArtLady's tip on joining it before picking up the ribbing and I'll probably do that.

I press on...

Addicted to knitting...
Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #678
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I 'hand-stitched' the zipper into place, using regular sewing thread.

Hmmm, I didn't see 'loops' as an option in the pattern at all.
I don't know how I missed that detail.

Anyway, if you are unsure about where to incorporate buttonholes in the ribbing, why not forget buttonholes and buttons altogether and use clasps? I'm working on a Basic Black Hoodie right now, and I ordered the nicest clasps from the ButtonDrawer.com!

I've ordered very unique buttons from them recently, and then the clasps! They are affordably priced, and the company ships quickly and well-packed!

I think this would be a cute clasp for the CPH:

And this:

There are many other clasps, but these two designs look casual enough for the CPH.

The loop option is shown here, on the cover for that hoodie
I'm knitting...although I'm going to use clasps:

As for the hood: darned if I can remember what I did to make the hood less pointy. Why don't you just seam it as per pattern...then afterwards, turn the hood inside out, and take some basting stitches across the corner of the point! You know, to cut the sharp point off. The basting stitches can easily be removed and re-done as you tinker around with it. I remember tinkering with it til I got it the way I liked!

Artlady at Rav
Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #679
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

ArtLady - thanks for the suggestion! I've ordered from ButtonDrawer, and yes, they have a great selection (and reasonable). I still have time to think about it...

Addicted to knitting...
Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #680
MommaG
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to MommaG
I just cast on my CPH today. DH bought me the pattern for Christmas. Yeah i love him so much. I have not read through all the posts as 68 pages is alot. I am using acrylic for this as I have no money to buy a fancy yarn for this hopefully acrylic will turn out all right. I can't believe how fast it is knitting up.
I have been admiring this pattern for like ever so I was happy when I finally convinced DH to give me his credit card to order the pattern. I have never ordered a pattern online before and I looked and looked to try and find it free online but of course could not and wanted it so bad so I am so excited to finish it. I am sure it will take me a while as I am making one of the plus sizes. Hopefully I don't repeat to many of the same questions that others have asked but are lost in the many pages of this KAL.