Old 04-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #61
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by lactosefree View Post
Just a quick update:

Finally finished with the Right Front. I will cast on for sleeves this weekend.
Good for you Susan, and thanks for the update!

My CPH ribbing is done. YEAH! Got it right the first time! Was worried about all the frogging and re-knitting if I had picked up too few or too many stitches for the ribbing! I seamed the top of the hood first, then picked up ALL the ribbing stitches for both fronts and the hood. 360 stitches. I made my ribbing extra wide, too. (About 2.5")

At this moment, it's awaiting its turn on the blocking board. I'll block the ribbing by simply pinning it into place and misting it heavily, leave til bone dry. That hood seam needs work, too. It needs to be flattened out by blocking. I don't know...I might have to block that seam separately by placing a wad of plastic bags inside and then mist the tar out of it. I did the plastic bags trick with a baby bonnet a few months back.

Then, on to the seaming of the sides and sleeves, and then the zipper!

BTW: After I finished the hood, I pinned the side seams and tried it on! (no sleeves attached) It fits great! The hood is roomy and "Little Red Riding Hood" in appearance. I like a loose-ish hood so's it doesn't completely ruin the hair-do! Just flip it up, or flip it back. The photo doesn't show the full size of the hood because I have it tucked in.

A baby's cardigan is drying on the blocking board at this moment...but should be dry later today.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #62
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

ArtLady,

Your CPH looks fabulous!!! Did you block your two fronts and back while you were knitting your sleeves or did you wait until the sleeves were finished? I'm thinking I should get a move on them this weekend.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lactosefree For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-16-2008)
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #63
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Yes, I blocked the Fronts and Back together while I was knitting the sleeves. The blocking board was crammed! All 5 pieces wouldn't fit anyways!

I never block the Back til the Fronts are both done in case something has to be frogged and re-knit due to an error or something.

I also leave all my little red thread row markers til blocking occurs.
They are removed just prior to handwashing for the blocking process.

Same goes for the sleeves. They are blocked together as well!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
lactosefree (04-16-2008)
Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #64
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Ok I will block the two front panels and back this weekend while I start on my sleeves.

I just spent $35 buying yarn to make my sister's CPH - that price includes shipping!!!

My crazy sister is totally into the color orange and I found this great sale at littleknits.com:

https://www.littleknits.com/products.php?cat=623

I hope the color really is something like the picture. It says it's on clearance due to the off-shade. For $35 I can't be too picky right?

She lives in southern CA where it's pretty warm most of the year so I really like that the yarn is cotton/wool blend.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:31 AM   #65
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Susan! I think the yarn is FABULOUS! It should knit up really nicely!
A cotton/wool blend will be soft and should keep her warm when she needs it!

WOW! What a great price!!! Can hardly wait to see your swatch!
Please post a photo of your 4"x4" swatch!

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #66
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

is it too late to join?? i have a question on the left back i am doing...do you start binding off on a wrong side row?? and if so, would you slip the purl stitch and continue the bind off?? thanks...
missmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #67
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by missmom31 View Post
is it too late to join?? i have a question on the left back i am doing...do you start binding off on a wrong side row?? and if so, would you slip the purl stitch and continue the bind off?? thanks...

Of course it's not too late to join!

When you say 'left back' do you mean you're doing the back panel right now, or are you looking at the wrong side of the left front panel?

If you're doing the back panel and you're on the 'armhole' section when you first start binding off, you bind off the first 2 rows, so you bind off the rs and the ws.

If you're doing the left front panel and you're on the 'armhole' section you bind off on the rs rows.

I only slipped the first stitch when binding off on the 'neck edge' sections of the left and right front panels.

I hope this is helpful... I'm reading back on what I wrote now and i'm not sure if I answered your question...

The Following User Says Thank You to lactosefree For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #68
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you, Lactosefree for your timely response to my earlier post. I was not at all clear on my question. I have finished the back and am working on the left front. I have just begun the neck section and have knitted the first ten stitches and have them on a holder, and finished this wrong sided row. Should I knit the next row, the right sided row and then start the BO on the neck edge on the wrong side row?? And do you suggest I slip the first stitch, work the next stitch and BO with the slipped stitch and continue on?? My BO stitches would be on a wrong side row, is this correct?? Thanks again for any help you can offer.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #69
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by missmom31 View Post
Should I knit the next row, the right sided row and then start the BO on the neck edge on the wrong side row?? And do you suggest I slip the first stitch, work the next stitch and BO with the slipped stitch and continue on?? My BO stitches would be on a wrong side row, is this correct?? Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Yep, that's how I did it.
I worked the 10 sts and put them on a holder and knit to the end of the WS row. The next row, which is a RS row, was knit even and then the row after that (WS) I did my first BO row by slipping the first purl stitch and then purling 1 st and then hopping off, purling another and hopping off for 2 BO sts. The next two BO rows are also on the WS.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #70
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!! I think I have it now, I will try it in the morning. I hope sometime I can help you out! Thanks again. Isn't this KAL great??? The CPH is a real beauty and the tutorials on this site are awesome. Again, my thanks for your help.