Old 04-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #71
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

You're welcome! Glad to have another person making the hoodie with us.

I took a vacation day today so I'm actually home from work! I'm about to block my back and front panels in a few minutes. Then, I'm going to knit on a beanie i'm making a friend for his birthday. I'm hoping the beanie doesn't take more than a couple of hours. After that I'm casting on for the sleeves.

I'm going to try and make the most of my day off by committing it to knitting!

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #72
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

I hope you knitting day is going well! Enjoy. I started the other front piece today at a knitting group I go to. I didn't want to try to do anything that takes any concentration (like binding off!!). Have a great weekend and good luck with the beanie and sleeves. Patty
missmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #73
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
All things told, my CPH took 1164 yds of Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed, which is 12 skeins @ 97 yds each.

This is so perplexing! The pattern says I would need 9 skeins of Tahki Donegal Tweed (183 yds per skein) for the size 44". So I should've minimally used 1647 yds at least!

CLICK HERE to view the CPH pattern yarn requirements.

Even though I substituted yarn...yardage is yardage, right?

This is a HUGE MYSTERY.

The difference between 1,647 and 1,164 is 483 yards for pities sake! And, to top it off...I used a larger needle than perfect gauge so that my hoodie would measure out to a size 46".

(A US8 gave me 'perfect' gauge...so by using a US9...I got a larger width...making my hoodie about a 46" instead of a 44". With that information, I shoulda needed MORE YARN, not less...right?? )

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #74
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

I have a question for ArtLady, if she would be willing to reply. Am I to understand that you knit one stitch at the beginning and end of the row to allow for finishing?? So lets say the pattern calls for a cast on of 20 stitches, you would instead cast on 22, allowing for the addition one knit stitch at the beginning and one at the end of each row? Are these stitches actually knitted or are they slipped?? I have read of this before and some like it and some don't. I really enjoy your help on this KAL for the CPH. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #75
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

It took me forever to pin the front panels and the back. I am such a perfectionist it's ridiculous. In the past I've only blocked little pieces and since this is my first sweater, I was exhibiting extra perfectionistic tendencies. Then in the middle of it all, I ran out of blocking pins! After a trip to the LYS and much fussing the three pieces are on the board drying.

The beauty in all this is realizing that blocking my swatch really paid off. When I was determining how many rows to knit for the length, I calculated based on the swatch - not based on actual measurements.

My blocked swatch said 6 rows would equal 1 inch after blocking. So when the pattern said knit until armhole is 9 inches, I actually knit 9x6=54 rows instead of knitting until the tape measure said it was 9 inches. Had I not blocked the swatch and used true measurements my hoodie would be huge since my swatch grew after blocking. Apparently this is quite common for superwash wools.

When I bought the yarn I calculated true measurements not knowing how the blocked swatch would turn out. I think I'm going to have a lot of yarn left over when this done.

I was going to cast on the sleeves today, but I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #76
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by missmom31 View Post
I have a question for ArtLady, if she would be willing to reply. Am I to understand that you knit one stitch at the beginning and end of the row to allow for finishing?? So lets say the pattern calls for a cast on of 20 stitches, you would instead cast on 22, allowing for the addition one knit stitch at the beginning and one at the end of each row? Are these stitches actually knitted or are they slipped?? I have read of this before and some like it and some don't. I really enjoy your help on this KAL for the CPH. Thank you.
If the pattern says Cast on 20, I cast on 20. However, no matter what the pattern row directions say...I always KNIT the first and last stitch OF EVERY ROW, both Right Side facing and Wrong Side facing.

This forms a little vertical garter st on both edges/ends of the row, and these stitches at each end are referred to as "edge stitches".
It helps with mattress seaming later on down the pike.

However, it's not essential to the overall outcome of your CPH. It's just a preference of mine, and some others, to create that neat little edge stitch. Sometimes some patterns will not allow for it, and I have to give it up. For scarves, for example, I create an edge stitch that involves that "slip the first stitch of every row" without knitting it. (just the first stitch, not the last stitch of the row; the last stitch is worked in pattern) Maybe that is where your confusion stems from.

Here is what a "slip the first stitch of every row" edge stitch looks like. You slip it without knitting it at the beginning of the row. You have to be careful to watch that you don't twist it. You always have to stop at the ends of every row and look at it. If it is not right, then you have to set it right. The error happens by where you have put your working yarn when you knit the 2nd stitch after slipping the first stitch, if that makes sense!

It forms a cool looking edge stitch! I use it for all my scarves, if possible. For scarves, I add two extra stitches (not included in the patterning) for these very special edge stitches:

Can you see the edge stitches on the left edge here near the top of my Left Front,just below where the 10 st were put onto waste yarn? They are kinda rolling a bit, but you can see them real well I think:

You can kinda see how helpful the edge stitch in this photo. See how easy it was to insert the blocking wires into the side edges of the Front? You just slip it/run it through those edge stitches (garter stitches actually).

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #77
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Yipes! I almost blocked the bottom part of one of my front panels 1 inch short in width. I was looking at it and it just didn't look right... good thing I caught it before it dried!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #78
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you so very much, Artlady, for the wonderful explanation of the edge stitch! I am going to try it on my next sweater, I think I will be a convert. It does look like it makes the blocking and finishing much easier. Again, thank you so very much for your edge stitch explanation and all of your expertise on this KAL.
Patty
Old 04-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #79
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

I love the color of your CPH, Lactosefree! It looks like you've done an excellent job of knitting and blocking it also, it's hard to believe it's your first sweater!!! I also make quilts and I know full well all the hard work involved in making sure each step (the pressing, cutting and sewing an accurate 1/4 inch seam etc.) is done correctly saves many a headache and heartache in the end. Well done!!!
Patty
Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #80
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Welcome Patty!!! Hooray for Susan!!!
Hi Patty!

I've been distracted this week...a kitchen re-model because of a small kitchen fire. The contractor has been here everyday for the past week!

Did I tell you how happy we are to have you with us in this KAL??
I think I forgot.

This is us, hugging you! WELCOME!

Hi Susan!

I think I see the Front panel that you didn't stretch out as wide...the Right Front panel ribbing seems to be stretched out a bit more in the photo you took before fixing it. I didn't notice it til you mentioned it in a later post!

Good catch!!! All's well that ends well!

Good idea, all that math you did for figuring out your rows and inches for the armhole! Way to go!

Artlady at Rav