Old 03-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
munchkin928
Ribbing the Cuff

Making toys - questions about increasing and stuffing
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I've been knitting very sporadically for the past two years or so. My latest interest is in makings some toys for my nephews and niece. So far it's gone decently well, but I had a question/problem to ask the more experienced knitters about.

What is the best increase to use when you don't want much of a hole in the knitted fabric? So far I've tried either M1A or M1L (from this website). I think either one would be fine on normal fabric, but when I stuff the little animals you can see a hole where the increase happened. The problem is especially heinous when I'm working a small number of stitches on double pointed needles. Would a KFB make a more invisible increase?

Thanks for your help!
munchkin928 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
I've noticed that making an increase using KFB does make more invisible increase, another thing that helps, is wet blocking. as it will help tighten the stitches a bit.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I like to use a simple backward loop increase a lot of the time, but when I tried it on a toy I found I needed to go back and sew the holes up. :-( I then made a toy with one of the increases where you use the strand between stitches and put it on the needle and knit it. I found that worked better. I think one of the ones you named may be that type. You need to make sure when you do one of those that if you pick the stitch up from in front of the loop that you then knit it through the back, and if you pick it up from behind that you knit it in front. That twists the stitch and closes the hole. Maybe you are doing that, but I thought I would mention it in case you weren't.

I don't much like a kfb anymore unless I really need it. I don't like the bumps it leaves on the front.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Karina
Working the Gusset

I have recently made some gloves and found m1 the yarn between the stitches worked really well as long as you twisted the loop around I had no holes even when the glove was stretched out over the hand.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
munchkin928
Ribbing the Cuff

I don't think I've been twisting my stitches when I pick up between -I'll definitely work on that today and see if I can get it working.

I tried the KFB a little last night and it does make those bars all over the place - it's not too bad though. I'll also give blocking a try if everything still seems too loose.

Thanks very much!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think the KLR/KLL is the most invisible increase and doesn't leave a hole.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
munchkin928
Ribbing the Cuff

I played with a little swatch just now, and the M1 through the yarn between looks great now that I'm twisting the stitch - the KLR was really good as well. However, I think the M1 through the yarn will work best for these toys because sometimes I have to do a bunch of increases before there's a second row to get stitches from.

Thanks so much for your help - this place is a great resource!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I'm a new knitter (and also new here) with no advice but I want to welcome you to this forum. I'm really enjoying it!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Tinker
Ribbing the Cuff

This isn't about invisible increaes, but a stuffing hint. Lately, I've made a few sachets and discovered that a used fabric softener sheet makes a great casing for stuffing small projects. Just save the sheet(s) after drying a load of laundry. You don't want them new becuse they have a scent and also they're too stiff.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #10
munchkin928
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Tinker and Cynamar

Thanks for the hint about the dryer sheets! That will be good to put inside of these toys since they'll be for little ones to play with (maybe it will keep the stuffing intact for a while longer).