Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

I am trying to put this as thoughtfully as I can, as I understand folks go through changes and must rehome pets sometimes.

You have already received some great info here and there isn't more I can add as far as resources to rehome your dog.

I do, however, have a big problem with the phrase "getting rid of."

It implies that pets are disposable. It breaks my heart because these little guys depend on us to care for them. If we can't, for whatever reason, honor our commitment, we REHOME them in a responsible way. Which is what you are doing.

Please know I am not bashing you at all. I am just trying, in my own small way, to change the way animals are treated and trying to keep the homeless population down. Words can hurt.

Good luck, I hope with all my heart you are successful.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyrottnboy For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (03-31-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

Actually, I was thinking the same thing after I wrote it. It does sound pretty harsh and it just came out wrong. I like the word "rehome". I've never heard of that, but it's good.

otn:
Garter Stitch Scarf
Palindrome Hat
Knitted Ornament Covers

fo's:
Bookmark
Basic hat
Lapghan
Golf Club Covers
Knitted Ornament Covers
Mother's Day Slippers
Twisted Stitch Scarf
Calorimetry
Oh so Soft Baby Blanket
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stacyk9 For This Useful Post:
Luvmyrottnboy (04-01-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

Stacy, everyone has had good advice. But look into rehome as an option, there are lots of people out there that will take in animals and rehome them, most of these services have strick guidelines for the new owners to meet.
We had to rehome our parrot and it broke my heart, it took me six months to pick the right home for him from applicants, and he is very happy where he is at now. Sometimes things happen, but then we still have to make good choices to solve the problems.
Good luck.
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
mare-nitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mare-nitt For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (04-01-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I feel for ya. I just "rehomed" a chihuahua that my sister had given my daughter. He was so sweet but I couldn't housebreak him (my sis lets them use piddle pads) and my older dog is just not fond of other animals. Luckily, my cousin knew someone who wanted a teeny companion dog to spoil rotten. It sure does make it easier to give them away when you know what kind of home they are joining. Good luck!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynamar For This Useful Post:
stacyk9 (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

Thank you all for your great advice. I am trying one last idea for my dog. I actually bought him doggy diapers yesterday. I was reading some sites yesterday and I think he may be doing "male marking". I feel like I have to try everything first before I can come to terms with the thought of finding him a new home. Hopefully this will work, at least for the dog!

otn:
Garter Stitch Scarf
Palindrome Hat
Knitted Ornament Covers

fo's:
Bookmark
Basic hat
Lapghan
Golf Club Covers
Knitted Ornament Covers
Mother's Day Slippers
Twisted Stitch Scarf
Calorimetry
Oh so Soft Baby Blanket
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Is he neutered? If not it will help.

My dog is neutered and marks like a wild man but only outside. You can break him of indoor marking but you have to catch him. Try keeping a leash on him and as soon as you see that leg start to go up: "NO" and take him outside immediately. When he pees outside "GOOD BOY! and give him a treat.

Training can tough but you will save a fortune on doggie diapers

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
knitncook
Working the Gusset

A couple of ideas. Call the Junior Humane or Humane Society. They generally will take placeable pets who can no longer be kept for whatever reason. Our Jr Humane Society adopts both cats and dogs through our local Petsmart. If you have Petsmart in your town give them a call and they will get you in touch with someone who can help you.

We had a cat that was purely miserable in our child-filled home. She really needed to be with someone who could provide a nice quiet home where the owners were home much of the time. We provided her medical records to Petsmart and they were able to place her with a nice elderly couple where she was quite happy.

There are also catteries that will assist in placing animals. Our area also has a lady who helps with pet adoptions. It costs money to adopt through her, but she assures that there is a good match between potential owner and pet. She looks into their background and asks lots of questions before she will let someone adopt. She also insists on a visit between pet and potential owner to make sure that they get along and how they interact. Look at petfinder.com for agencies in your area that assist with pet placement. That's where a friend of mine found this lady who helped find a good home for a tiny puppy that grew into a huge monster (size not temperment) and outgrew their tiny home.

Your pets obviously aren't happy where they are or are not getting the attention that they need. Finding a new home for them is probably a good thing. Don't feel bad about that. You may want to note to any potential owners that having small children isn't a good mix for these animals. They seem to like the attention that they got when they were the "babies." This is important for any potential owner to know.

I hope you find happy safe homes for them!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote