Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
photolady

Any Christian Knitters?
I've been looking around, and am interested in seeing if any of you Christians knitters find that knitting helps you in memorizing Scripture verses, or helps you to focus more on God. I think knitting a familiar pattern helps me to listen, more calmly, to
Christian bible stories, or to be more aware of the spiritual world that exists in our everyday living. I find it more difficult to
concentrate on thoughts about Christianity, if the pattern is new, or extremely complicated. I like to knit gifts for others, and as I knit, I like to pray for that person.
Do any Christians in here use their knitting time to focus more on biblical scriptures and principles?
I would also like to get some patterns for knitting crosses, and the Christian fish design. Anyone here have Christian designs that I can incorporate into my knitting?

Have any of you found any Resurrection Day knitting designs? I really enjoyed celebrating Ressurection Day, otherwise known to some as Easter.

I'm not naive enough to think there isn't discrimination against Christianity, I run into it almost daily. I get it from some surprising sources, too! Do any of you? I've had a bible thrown at me, been sworn at, been called names, and found a few fair weather friends who ran at the first sign of rejection from others who were not Christian.
I raised my children to be Christians,and, found there were a lot of church member parents who have no idea about
how to raise a child as a Christian. Sadly, many even within the churches have misconceptions.

Well, I hope I see a continuing thread of information and support here. Christian knitters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
kayeknit (04-01-2008), tgwillis (03-31-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I am a Christian, but I confess that while I knit I am also watching TV or talking on the phone or to my daughter or something--seldom sitting and concentrating on one thing. Since you mention it, though, it is a wonderful opportunity to reflect on God's word or to talk to Him.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Photolady,
What a coinkidink, me n my son were talking about this very thing.
I sort of compare the persecution thing to battered spouses and the type of abuse they receive.
There of course is the obvious physical abuse, which we all are definitely against and that's like the persecution of the christians in China and in the Muslim countries.
Then there's the more insidious of the two, mental abuse. Not quite as obvious but a lot harder to heal. Bruises heal and for the most part people get help for their obvious needs. But mental abuse and persecution, is harder for people to see and therefore, sometimes quite easy to dismiss as just an overactive imagination or mental illness on the part of the victim. That to me is more like the persecution here and in some european countries. Insidious and EVIL!!
We also discussed how, beings we are created in God's image, that he instilled in us the need to create. To me, that's why we get such a kick out of working with our hands and creating things, whether it's paintings or textiles or what have you. God, in my personal opinion, wants us to feel the joy he had when he created the universe.
Yeah, I know that we as humans messed up n all that but hey, at least we weren't frogged!!!
KK I'll get off my soap box now!! LOL

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I am a Christian...and normally if I'm knitting the item for someone then I will pray for that person while I work on the piece...

**I'm just putting this out here as this thread is just getting started... Let's remeber to keep this thread polite and not target or hurt...there are many different threads/views to Christianity and each believe in there way as you believe in yours...to some this is a very private matter... **

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Yeah it definitely helps me pray for people, but I haven't used it to memorize scriptures - I'll have to try that

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
photolady

I am a Christian...and normally if I'm knitting the item for someone then I will pray for that person while I work on the piece...
Prayer is a powerful thing, isn't it? God tells us to pray unceasingly, and, while knitting a garment or gift for someone else, how marvelous to send prayers upwards to our Lord Jesus.

**I'm just putting this out here as this thread is just getting started... Let's remeber to keep this thread polite and not target or hurt
I agree.

...there are many different threads/views to Christianity and each believe in there way as you believe in yours...to some this is a very private matter... **

I understand some feel uncomfortable talking about their Christianity.
I don't feel that way, I'm glad of it, and want to talk openly about it.
I've felt that way, ever since I read about Christians being told to preach the Gospel, no matter where you go.
I'm very glad for the people who have put their responses here, though, and I hope this group grows and grows.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
photolady

Originally Posted by Cynamar View Post
I am a Christian, but I confess that while I knit I am also watching TV or talking on the phone or to my daughter or something--seldom sitting and concentrating on one thing. Since you mention it, though, it is a wonderful opportunity to reflect on God's word or to talk to Him.
It's really a great time to spend hiding the Word in your heart.
You can probably get free bible tapes from your public library, or, purchase New Testament cds or tapes, from Amazon or such places, at a really LOW cost. Then, just pop them in, when you knit, and relax, and listen.
Just play the tapes over and over, and pretty soon, you'll know,by heart, a whole chapter of the bible!!
I've often lamented about the amount of time Christians spend, watching tv, when we could be using that time a little more wisely.
And, listening to tapes in your own home, is very private.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
photolady

Originally Posted by redheadrachel View Post
Yeah it definitely helps me pray for people, but I haven't used it to memorize scriptures - I'll have to try that

Knitting is a good time to refresh and renew your mind.
You can go to Amazon.com, and type in New Testament audiobooks.
Or, look around in the local used book shops.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
photolady

Originally Posted by fibrenut View Post
Photolady,
What a coinkidink, me n my son were talking about this very thing.

Funny how those things work, isn't it?

Happens to me a lot!! It pays to post, doesn't it?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
photolady

Originally Posted by fibrenut View Post
Photolady,

I sort of compare the persecution thing to battered spouses and the type of abuse they receive.
Then there's the more insidious of the two, mental abuse. Not quite as obvious but a lot harder to heal. Bruises heal and for the most part people get help for their obvious needs. But mental abuse and persecution, is harder for people to see and therefore, sometimes quite easy to dismiss as just an overactive imagination or mental illness on the part of the victim. That to me is more like the persecution here and in some european countries. Insidious and EVIL!!

Seems like those who lightly dismiss the insidious form are those who might not have ever experienced it. I don't know, just my opinion.
Persecution comes in many forms, doesn't it? Insidious and evil, I agree, but, to be expected when one is VERY busy being a Christian.

Anyone else ever been rejected or maligned, for their stand on Christianity and it's precepts? Ever been subtly villified?