Old 04-01-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
magellan18
Casting On

help: ladder when knitting with double pointed needles
Hello - I'm a beginner knitter and I'm learning to do socks. So far everything is good, but where my double pointed needles join, there's a long ladder up my sock where 1 stitch (between needles) is always looser. I've tried my best to pull it tight at that particular point every time - small improvement, but not perfect.
Any ways to fix this?
Could I do these socks, for example, on a circular needle? Would that make it better? But what would I do with the stitches I'm not working, for example, the instep stitches when I work the heel flap?
Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

angela
magellan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
magellan18
Casting On

I got it!
Well, one quick google search solved that problem. For anyone who is interested, the bottom of this page has several suggestions:
http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer03/FEATtheresa.html
I think for me the last tip applies most - I tend to insert the working needle above rather than below.
:D I will have socks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magellan18 For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-01-2008), Indygirl (04-01-2008), The.Knitter (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I've never knit socks...but I worked on dpn's on several stocking hats this past winter. The final throes of the top of the hat required dpn's.

Here is what I did to prevent the ladder or gap:

When I got to the end of (and finished all the stitches) on dpn #1...instead of picking a new blank dpn to start knitting the stitches on dpn#2...I knit three extra stitches onto the same needle with the stitches from dpn#1...I then just moved them/slid them onto the new blank as 'already knit' stitches.

You follow?

When we finish dpn#1 stitches...and they are on blank #1...we usually pick up a new blank #2 to begin knitting the stitches on dpn#2.

I don't. I knit 3 extras, and then slide them onto the new blank #2...and finish up with the remaining dpn #2 stithces.

Kinda like jostling them back and forth. But no ladders or gaps can form.

Yeah well maybe it is more time consuming, but I really did get fast at it. And, no gaps!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Before, I tried all those things. I tried the needle over and under the previous needle. I tried knitting extra stitches and sliding them back - all that accomplished for me was that the gap spiraled around and looked even worse than a straight ladder up and down.

Nothing worked until I realized I was knitting inside out (the point of the triangle away from me rather than towards). Some will say it makes no difference, but for me, it meant the ladder was there to stay. I've knit a few things on dpn's since, although not socks, but when I understood to use the dpn's the proper way, the ladder isn't there, just with tightening the first and second stitches.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Pie For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
And remember a lot of the gaps and uneven stitches go away when you're done and wash or block the sock.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
magellan18
Casting On

Hmmm... it didn't work
I tried the method of inserting the needle under rather than over... that didn't do a thing. Hm. I'm getting a little discouraged.
What do you mean when the triangle faces away rather than towards?
But anyway, the gaps go away when you wash or block?
How does one go about blocking socks?
I'll have to look that one up.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
knitgal
Working the Gusset

When I knit socks, I avoid ladders by knitting the first stitch on the needle then putting my needle into the next stitch and pulling the yarn tight (not TOO tightly though). I have never had a problem with ladders using this methods.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I use 4 dpn's usually so it makes a triangle before I start with my empty needle. The 2 working needles should be towards you (so the knit sts are on the outside) rather than away from you. I was doing it the other way.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I do socks on one circular needle, the magic loop method, and I have never had a problem with ladders. There's a video on this site for magic loop, and here is a cuff down ML tutorial, and here is a toe-up (two socks at once) ML tutorial. To answer your question- the instep stitches just hang out on the cable while you're doing the heel flap on the needle tips.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
magellan18
Casting On

I'm confused
Thanks to everyone who posted a reply... I'm a bit confused though.

Re: Knitgal: I'm sorry. What do you mean by knitting the first stitch onto the needle? Do you mean that you knit the first stitch onto the yarn carrying needle rather than a free needle, and then you insert the free needle - which then becomes the working needle?
Or do you simply mean knit the first stitch onto a free needle (working needle), and then put the same needle into the next stitch and pulling tight? I do that already (I think) but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Re:Wenda: Thanks! I'll have to try that... though I am finding it difficult to visualize.

Re: Abbily. I will have to try them on circular needles! It might end up being easier...