Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #41
mwhite
Instepping Out

Jared's chart #1 coincides with the original pattern round #47, so I took a pencil and on the side of his chart, renumbered the increase rounds as 47, 52, 57, 62, 67, 72, 77, 82, 87, 92, 97, 102, 107 and 112.

Then, by using the original pattern and finding, on round 47, where his chart starts in accordance with the original pattern.... I drew a vertical line, at round 47, counting from right to left, at the 4th "O" over, from that point, straight up to the top of the chart. In other words, drew a line, on the graph line just before that "O" up the chart. This is where his chart and the original start on every round. He states in his blog that he started at the middle of the chart. And this is what he means when he tells you to follow along with the chart and the original written pattern.

Then he takes his chart beyond the 87th round and up to 112. If you're going to do one that's at least 60" in diameter, you'll more than likely need beyond the 112 and YES, this is what Gino and I are working on. The written original pattern actually stops at 87 and you bind off. His chart on 87 is another increase round. Each round, after round 47, increases the size of the stitch pattern by 4 stitches. All stitch counts are divisible by 8 and there are 8 scallops or tips from where the feather and fan starts until you bind off. Feather and fan is such a versatile stitch pattern!

Round 47 stitch pattern has 21 sts x 8 = 168 sts.
Round 52 " " " 23 sts x 8 = 184 sts.
Round 57 27 sts x 8 = 216 sts.... and so on...

All this information is good but I don't want anyone to get confused from overthinking, I've already done enough of that! LOL!

Karina, I'm doing a tablecloth of mine and will be doing a 60" diameter but using a medium/ heavy DK weight with size #6 needles, so my guage will be different than yours and I've got to go to 142 rounds or thereabout.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
Karina (04-10-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #42
mwhite
Instepping Out

AND ONE MORE VERY VERY IMPORTANT THING:

Jared's chart should be read from right to left on ALL rounds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
Karina (04-10-2008), Lisa1216 (04-12-2008), Rabbitrescuer (04-10-2008)
Old 04-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #43
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

GOT MY YARN! woo hoo... Okay kids, casting on today and I'll try and to photograph as I go along. Please keep in mind that I am not the greatist knitter but giving it a go!
Anyone else start besides Mary? I heard that she's on row 72. Darn that speed demon!
Happy knitting all and looking foward to see the progression of everyone elses ring.
Hey, that may be a great idea is to post your progression so that everyone can see what everyone elses looks like. ie; different yarns, needle sizes etc.
Maybe we can do that and post what round you are on as well as put in a ruler so we can actually see how big it is or something that is relative in the photo so we can see how big it is, ie; ruler, dollar bill, use your imgination!
DudeWithSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #44
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

I joined the Yahoo group and printed out the pattern/chart. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I actually frogged a sweater that I had never finished because I thought the yarn would be good to use for this. It's not a worsted weight, but I think it's a DK weight. It's Debbie Bliss Cotton/Angora. I'll have to check out ravelry to see what weight it is. Good luck DWS on starting today! I'll be there with ya tonight!

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #45
Karina
Working the Gusset

I started mine as a test run with Sirdar Denim chunky which is what I had to hand. I have since found that somebody on ravelry used Sirdar Click chunky, which is also a wool blend, and they had trouble with blocking, said it did not lay completely flat. I am not to concerned about it not being completely flat as this first one will be for my kids to snuggle up in on the sofa. It is more important to me that I can throw it in the washing machine whenever the need arises. Will definitely make another one for me out of some nice yarn, maybe Malabrigo worsted weight. I have done 64 rows in total so far. would recommend that when you start on dpns that you use stitch markers on the halfway mark so you know when you start your next repeat. I did loose track a couple of times and trying to figure where the mistake is was quite hard at times. with the stitch markers at least you only have to go back to the point of where your repeat started.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #46
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Lisa1216 View Post
I joined the Yahoo group and printed out the pattern/chart. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I actually frogged a sweater that I had never finished because I thought the yarn would be good to use for this. It's not a worsted weight, but I think it's a DK weight. It's Debbie Bliss Cotton/Angora. I'll have to check out ravelry to see what weight it is. Good luck DWS on starting today! I'll be there with ya tonight!
That's great Lisa. Good luck! I think that if you want to make it larger you'll have to do the same thing that Mary is doing, and hopefully we'll have it worked out before you get there.
I'll try and post some pics when I get the main part of the Doily done. I am going to transfer to 16" circular when I get to row 15 or 16. You are probably going to have to switch to circular a little later on since you are working with lighter weight yarn.
Gino
Old 04-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #47
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Great advice Karina...
Did they say how they blocked the blanket? A lot of people steam some do just wet towels over the item or they do wet blocking. I think for this, wet blocking is the best way to do that.
Malagribo, YUM, that sounds great. I would love to do one in that! But there are so many colors to choose from, and I'd be like I want that one and that one and that one and that one. LOL
Cheers and good luck!

Gino
Originally Posted by Karina View Post
I started mine as a test run with Sirdar Denim chunky which is what I had to hand. I have since found that somebody on ravelry used Sirdar Click chunky, which is also a wool blend, and they had trouble with blocking, said it did not lay completely flat. I am not to concerned about it not being completely flat as this first one will be for my kids to snuggle up in on the sofa. It is more important to me that I can throw it in the washing machine whenever the need arises. Will definitely make another one for me out of some nice yarn, maybe Malabrigo worsted weight. I have done 64 rows in total so far. would recommend that when you start on dpns that you use stitch markers on the halfway mark so you know when you start your next repeat. I did loose track a couple of times and trying to figure where the mistake is was quite hard at times. with the stitch markers at least you only have to go back to the point of where your repeat started.
The Following User Says Thank You to DudeWithSticks For This Useful Post:
Karina (04-12-2008)
Old 04-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #48
mwhite
Instepping Out

Well, am up to round 75, looks kinda small, huh? LOL! It's really a pretty piece and I love the way it looks so far. Right now, it's measuring out about 24" in diameter, relaxed.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #49
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

I made it to round 49 ! It really is a fun pattern. I looked up my yarn and it is a worsted weight. I'm knitting on size 9's with a 4.5 stitches per inch gauge. My only problem I think I'm going to have is that I only have a 32" cable. I may need to find a size 9 with something longer.
Mary-Your's looks very pretty!

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #50
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
Well, am up to round 75, looks kinda small, huh? LOL! It's really a pretty piece and I love the way it looks so far. Right now, it's measuring out about 24" in diameter, relaxed.

Ohhhhhhhh... that looks great Mary! I just made it through row 38. And just transferred onto 24" circulars. It was getting pretty tight and I really couldn't see what it looked like. When I transferred it onto the 24" I could see it a lot better. Now it looks like a beret!
I was on DPN's till about the 16th row and transferred them onto 16" circulars.
Lisa, I have 40" circulars, but you may be okay depending on how many rows you end up doing. It may be just a little tight on your needles. But I guess you'll be able to tell soon enough if you need to get the longer circs.