Old 04-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #31
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Regular self serve is $3.89, diesel is $4.29... We are hurting up here.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #32
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
You're paying a fifty cents more in Humboldt County than we are in Salem, OR. Quite a difference.

This whole situation is so out of control. They're paying farmers to grow corn for ethanol, which takes more money to produce, and wastes water and other resources; yet they won't start drilling in Alaska. The majority of folks in Alaska want drilling. We're also not serious about clean coal, or nuclear power.

I guess we do get the government we vote for.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #33
Alyce
1st Leg of the Journey

Here in Knoxville , TN gas is $3.13-3.15/gal. I don't go to Citgo because it is owned by Hugo Chavez in Venezuala(sp?) and he is an avowed America hater. BP only uses domestic oil and gas so I try to fill up there when ever I can. the Shell station near me is always at least $.5 higher than anywhere else so I try not to ever go there, plus they use foriegn oil.
Just my IMHO
Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #34
Pat in Ca

Yes,, I totally agree that the US needs to wake up start drilling in Alaska and elsewhere to become energy independent...Republicans in congress have tried to pass legislation to begin drilling in Alaska....Democrats in Congress have voted down recent efforts..We (the US) will not remain strong without producing AND refining our own oil...The sad thing is that all three presidential candidates oppose drilling in Alaska...If you care..email your candidate of choice and let your opinion be known..

Oh.. yes.. ethonol has been the biggest failure..the production of this "biofuel" (driven by the misconception that it was friendlier to the environment) has produced mass GLOBAL STARVATION!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #35
Pat in Ca

Did you hear McCain wants to temporarily eliminate the Federal gas tax for the summer? That would be a 24 cent reduction on diesel and 18 cent reduction on regular.. Yahoo.. wouldn't that be nice!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #36
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat in Ca View Post
Did you hear McCain wants to temporarily eliminate the Federal gas tax for the summer? That would be a 24 cent reduction on diesel and 18 cent reduction on regular.. Yahoo.. wouldn't that be nice!
While that might help a little it's really only a bandaid for a huge problem. Besides, that tax money is supposed to go towards road and bridge construction and repairs (if they'd stop using it for pet projects that is). It would eventually result in higher taxes in other areas or even more toll roads to pay for those things so it wouldn't really help in the long run.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #37
Pat in Ca

Well, at least it is some relief...
The problem is a basic one.. supply/demand...China and India are growing like wildfire and that has increased the demand for oil..
Unfortunately, the US Congress has refused to allow us to drill for oil in Alaska , and put up barriers to drill elsewhere, and build refineries...We need to wake up and go get the oil that could provide our country with energy independence..
Prices will never go down unless we find more oil (supply goes up).. or demand goes down (unlikely),,, so write your congressman about your feelings on the matter, whatever they are..
Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #38
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Since the government consistently refuses to allow drilling, or the building of new refineries (the last was built 25 years ago), I wonder who is buying them off. Is it the gas companies themselves, or is it pressure from other countries so that we have to continue funding their extravagances.

BTW, I'm not cynical

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #39
Nixy
Casting On

Here in the UK petrol and diesel range from 1.10-1.25 per litre (that's nearly 6 per gallon!) That's roughly $11.95 per gallon in US dollars by today's exchange rate.

The prices have just gone up so much over here recently, and over half the price paid is tax. It's just too much.....that's why one of my friends now runs their car on vegetable oil.
Nixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #40
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

I just paid 3.49 a gallon yesterday in Wisconsin. And rumor has it will go up 10 cents by the end of this week.
There is nothing we can do about it, we need to buy it, but I guess we are more aware of the cost of travels these days. We don't like it, but we are adjusting. Just alot more home time and cheap entertainment, like knitting.
It is interesting to see the different prices all over.
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
mare-nitt is offline   Reply With Quote