Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Stitch markers- how to use them
Ok, I searched. I couldn't find. So now I ask...

The instructions on a new pattern I am contemplating (baby blanket) has PM (place marker) in it- looks like it goes in the middle where the pattern direction changes.

So do I put the marker on the needle, or does it go onto a stitch? On this pattern later you have to "slip" the marker so I am thinking it must go on the needle.

Does it depend on what you're working on where it goes?

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
For this type of marker you would use one that goes on the needle. It marks where you do increases, decreases or start a stitch pattern and is moved/slipped from the left needle to the right when you encounter it on a row.

Sometimes a pattern will have you `mark' each end of a row; this is for measuring purposes and you can just tie another color yarn in the stitch, or use a removeable marker.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Simply_Renee (04-04-2008)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Yes, it will go on the needle. I may be wrong, but usually when it says PM, it is to mark where there will be a pattern change, or where side seams will be (not the case for a baby blanket though!), so it stays on the needle. I think it goes on the st when you are marking a row. Someone with more experience can detail the difference, but in this case, I'm pretty sure it will go on the needle.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Pie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

a HA! Until I read further and saw "slip marker" I thought they always went on a stitch.

I think I have some markers somewhere (probably with my cable needle, so I anticipate mcguyvering a knitting tool yet again) but will take your suggestion to use tied yarn for the ones that have to go on a row in the future.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
You can use a circle of yarn on your needle too.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Yay, now I don't even have to look for where I put the markers. They just looked like little washers anyway.

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
cam90066
Working the Gusset

If you're using small ndls, cut tiny rings from a plastic straw. Quick and easy markers.

cam