Old 04-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
knovice
Ribbing the Cuff

Casting on two-at-a-time sleeves or socks
I am a lazy knitter with serious second-sock (or sleeve) syndrome and an aversion to seaming things up, so I knit as much as possible in the round and two-at-a-time whenever I can. I have a question about casting on two-at-a-time magic-loop circular knitting.

I've done a couple of sets of sweater sleeves two-at-a-time on long circs (for magic loop) but seem to get screwed up during the cast-on. I know, theoretically, that I should cast on half the stitches for the first sleeve, then switch to the second ball of yarn, cast on all the stitches for the second sleeve (or sock), then go back to the first ball of yarn, and finish casting on for object #1... but I have gotten consistently screwed up in the joining of the stitches to knit in the round. I seem to have some kind of mental block.

Both times I had trouble when it came to getting the stitches joined and eventually (sort of) gave up, put one set of stitches on a different circ, joined them, and then transferred the two objects back onto the one long circ after a row or so when I coud better see what I was doing. Does anyone know... am I casting on correctly? When should the joining happen, or in what configuration should the stitches be when it does?
knovice is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
when joining in the round, sometimes it helps to CO 1 to many stitches, and although it takes a little jigging, K2Tog the last and next first stitch when finishing the first round

I am spoiled, I do toe up, so no chance of twisting
but then again, I M set in my ways, I look at a lot of ways of doing it, then choose the one that fits with my rather bizzarre view of the knitting world (I am enjoying the yarn harlots book this week

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote