Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Changing a hat pattern from flat to round...
I am using this forum today like crazy! Thanks to all your great help...
So, here's another question for you more experienced knitters...
I am knitting a hat, it's flat. I wanted to make it a little bigger as the hat says it fits normal to small heads, with no other info as far as making it larger.
I also wanted to know if I could knit this in the round?
I know it will always be the right side of the garment, so do I just do the opposite for the ws rows since this will be on the right side rows? hahah does that make sense?
So if the WS says to k20 p9, do I p20 and k9? Or am I just thinking too far into this? And can this be done?
Also, instead of creating more stitches, can I just use larger needle sizes? Pattern calls for US 8 so could I use US 9 or 10?
Here's the link to the pattern and I just finished the scarf and it looks great!
http://media.knittingfever.com/kfi/c...lyNoro_awk.pdf
It's a great pattern for beginners and you can memorize this pattern in your first pattern repeat.
DudeWithSticks is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, you could do a larger needle size, and the WS rows (which will usually be the even ones) you need to not only knit the opposite way, but the opposite direction too. This one looks like rev stockinette stitch combined with seed st so it's not easy to explain. What you could do, is knit about 6 rows of the pattern as given on some scrap yarn, then use that to refer to how you would do it in the round.

That's a really great pattern... too bad I don't look good in snug fitting hats. I might use it for something else though....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
DudeWithSticks (04-07-2008)
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yes, you could do a larger needle size, and the WS rows (which will usually be the even ones) you need to not only knit the opposite way, but the opposite direction too. This one looks like rev stockinette stitch combined with seed st so it's not easy to explain. What you could do, is knit about 6 rows of the pattern as given on some scrap yarn, then use that to refer to how you would do it in the round.

That's a really great pattern... too bad I don't look good in snug fitting hats. I might use it for something else though....
OHHHHHHH... right, thanks, SQ! Sort of like knitting from a chart in the round. I am going to try that out. Yeah, it's a great pattern and the scarf is sooooooo easy to do, but sort of hate moss stitch now. hahaha
Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yeah, a live `chart'. I see the scarf is all moss, you coulda changed it to the cowslip pattern probably, but too late now....

Old 04-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

LOL... Yeah, I was thinking about that before I started and I am so tired of moss at this point, that if I don't have to do one for a few months I'll be sooooooooooo happy.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Casual Llama
Casting On

Keep in mind that that flat pattern will have a stitch on each end for the selvage so you'll want to leave off those two stitches if you knit it round. I learned that the hard way trying to do Half Dome in the round.
The Following User Says Thank You to Casual Llama For This Useful Post:
DudeWithSticks (04-08-2008)
Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Since she wants it a bit larger anyway, she could leave the stitches in.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I was thinking the same thing about leaving the extra stitches, too Sue. That's what I did when I make the bonnet that I changed to knit in the round instead of flat.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

It all depends on your gauge - how many sts/inch you get times how big around it is. I think you'll be fine.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I'm afraid to click on your link as it froze my computer up last night and all I could do was turn it off. :-( LOL But on extra stitches....you need to think about how any pattern stitch, including ribbing will work out in the round. With the ribbing for example you need to end up with a knit next to a purl in K1, P1 ribbing so you need a multiple of 2. If you use K2, P2 ribbing you need a multiple of 4 I think for it to work. The other pattern stitch you mention may need a slight tweaking to get it to go around "seamlessly".
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote