Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Magknits Gone - Solution to getting Patterns not yet reposted!
*sigh* Is this karma? bad luck? I don't know. I cast on for a pattern yesterday and got a few inches in, and didn't bother saving the pattern to my desktop... I went to go do that today so I could print it out and sit and knit all day, and my pattern is gone... gone gone gone.

I go to Magknits and am greeted by this. I feel like I want to cry right now. I was really excited to knit this cardigan, and it's the first one I looked at and really liked. I haven't knit in months and I was so excited to get home today so I could sit and knit... Guess that ain't going to happen.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Kalaidoscope cardigan pattern from magknits?

I understand the reasoning, free stuff can mean alot of effort for no payoff for people.... But I really wish I had some kind of warning or something...

It also seems like I am doomed, as this has happened to a couple patterns... Even when I had them saved to desktop, they would either become corrupt, or my computer crashed and when I would go to get the pattern online... long gone... I'm a jinx to patterns. I swear.

----
edit: I changed the name of the topic to better reflect the turn of the conversation... Also to help steer people who can't find their patterns in the right direction.

If you need a pattern that was on Mag Knits and has not been reposted by the designer, just read THIS POST to find out how to get it.

Last edited by Krystal : 04-09-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
debb
Knitting the Flap

Oh bother, I got in the habit of just bookmarking and not printing out every pattern I liked. I'm going to try the wayback machine on some of my bookmarks, but I can't seem to get into that site right now.

Perhaps ravelry would be able to get the designers to post their patterns and tag them with a magknits tag?
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
lol Yep I saw it today when I wanted to double the Snicket Sock cable. And I seriously thought,
Oh well. That's just one more disappointment from Magknits... lol Magknits and I are not getting along in these past few months.

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Ohh yes, learn your lesson through me. I assure you it's no fun to be clicking a link expecting to be happily knitting away only to find a 404.

the designer was listed on ravelry with the pattern so I PM'd her, and asked if she would mind posting the pattern or sending it to me... all so graciously of course...

and then like 10 min AFTER I messaged her I had an epiphany... caching.

I googled the pattern and then viewed the cached page. Voila there is the pattern... I feel bad for bugging her now... But maybe now she knows people will want the pattern and will post it elsewhere... Help out another knitter who sees the pictures on ravelry and wishes they could knit it.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by redheadrachel View Post
lol Yep I saw it today when I wanted to double the Snicket Sock cable. And I seriously thought,
Oh well. That's just one more disappointment from Magknits... lol Magknits and I are not getting along in these past few months.

If you were trying to access the pattern Rachel, you can get it here

I hope that helps you. I am SO glad their pages were cached... Sometimes caching doesn't get me what I need.... But it did in this case.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
It sucks that magknits is gone now, but since Kerri was not able to reasonably fulfill her business obligations, I’m glad she cut down. Maybe now she can concentrate on paying the designers what she owes and finally fulfill the orders/replacements/refunds she needs to.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
I had an epiphany... caching. I googled the pattern and then viewed the cached page. Voila there is the pattern...

You just about saved me! I just bought 35 skeins of comfy yarn from Knit Picks to make an afghan on Mag Knits and never thought I'd have to print it until I started.

Yay for your brilliant thinking! I just printed it from the cached file.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by lactosefree View Post
You just about saved me! I just bought 35 skeins of comfy yarn from Knit Picks to make an afghan on Mag Knits and never thought I'd have to print it until I started.

Yay for your brilliant thinking! I just printed it from the cached file.
Oh I am so glad I could help you find your pattern.

I am glad that Keri is on to a better position that will suit her time wise and financially... No one should be bound by obligation... especially if it isn't fun anymore.

Maybe I missed the warning that the site was closing, if so, that's my problem... but I didn't see any indications at all, so I am disappointed in how this was handled... it seemed a little abrupt.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
scout52
Working the Gusset

Oh crapola. I had planned to do a couple of patterns and now i can't. ughhh because i didn't print. i will do the cache search to see if i can find them that way. thanks for letting us know that the site is now down.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
Oh I am so glad I could help you find your pattern.

I am glad that Keri is on to a better position that will suit her time wise and financially... No one should be bound by obligation... especially if it isn't fun anymore.

Maybe I missed the warning that the site was closing, if so, that's my problem... but I didn't see any indications at all, so I am disappointed in how this was handled... it seemed a little abrupt.
there was no warning, not even to the designers who were published in the April issue. Kerri got called out on ravelry for not paying her designers and for customers who ordered from her hipknits site never getting their orders (and never getting refunds or promised replacements). People called her on her excuses. So now we have no magknits, but like I said above, hopefully this will allow Kerri the time to fulfill what she owes people.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote