Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
evona
Working the Gusset

Just got back from the doctor
and I was told I have Peptic Ulcers. I've had horrible gnawing pain in my upper abdomen for a while now that radiated to my back under my left shoulder blade. I actually got so scared once I went to the emergency room. My doctor finally diagnosed it as Peptic Ulcer Disease! So now I have to cut all the things I love out of my diet. Especially coffee And Mason, don't even suggest replacing it with beer because that's a big no no too

The thing is I know my diet has been really bad as of late. I am running all the time and eat here and there and usually badly. I know I can be much much better. I just need a kick in the but (and a drill sgnt maybe). Anybody KH members who feel up to the task feel free to do the kicking!

evona is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Evona, here is a big for you. It's good that you went to see your doctor, a lot of people just ignore this type of pain.

The good news is that after a while, with proper diet and medication, you might be able to start working in some coffee, and a few of the other things he doesn't want you to have now. My DH had a peptic ulcer, brought on by stress and h pylori (I believe both, because there were so many rotten things going on in our lives at that time). He went back to coffee and a few other things after about six months. Did your doc put you on an antibiotic? That should help.

Take good care of yourself!

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
evona (04-09-2008)
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
evona
Working the Gusset

Thanks Debcks! He put me on Nexium for now and told me to call back in a about a week to tell him how I was doing with the medicine and the diet. He did talk about putting me on an antibiotic if I don't start feeling better with the medicine and diet. I think mine has to do with stress too. Of course stress leads to a bad diet and the vicious circle begins, but I hate this pain. I was also so scared because my grandmother died of stomach cancer and my uncle had stomach cancer. Being diagnosed with a peptic ulcer was sort of a whew moment. So now I really want to do better so I can get better and hopefully never get anything more serious.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

They did an upper GI series or gastroscopy test to diagnose this right? Not just "yep, you sound like you have ulcers"? If not, go to someone who will. The symptoms of peptic ulcers can mask a lot of other things.
I had ulcers through college and occasionally get them now if I take too many OTC sinus meds. One thing you don't want to do is take alot of OTC pain meds like Advil, Aspirin or Tylenol, they will definately affect you. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Oh man, that sounds a lot like the pain I get in my abdomen...I really only get it when I'm super stressed out and it feels like there's a hand in my abdomen that just wrings my insides and once it hits its peak, the pain lessens, and, just as the pain lessens, I feel that horrible gnawing/wringing pain again. It feels worse when I haven't eaten anything and when I do eat something, it seems to make the pain go away. I had always attributed it to stress and not eating when I should, maybe I should talk to my Dr.

for you!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
evona (04-09-2008)
Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by stitchwitch View Post
They did an upper GI series or gastroscopy test to diagnose this right? Not just "yep, you sound like you have ulcers"? If not, go to someone who will. The symptoms of peptic ulcers can mask a lot of other things.
I had ulcers through college and occasionally get them now if I take too many OTC sinus meds. One thing you don't want to do is take alot of OTC pain meds like Advil, Aspirin or Tylenol, they will definately affect you. Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks!!! and yes - I had the whole shebang done (blech)!

I had been taking Advil when I go backpacking or when I have a heavy hiking day to avoid not being able to move the next day. He told me I should not take it to prevent the pain. I know that seems self evident, but when you're in the woods and you know you need to walk x number of miles the next day to get out its tempting to take the thing before you go to sleep so you can actually get up in the morning. I'm not in my 20s anymore - know what I mean. I start a week long backpacking trip on Saturday too, but I'll be good.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
Oh man, that sounds a lot like the pain I get in my abdomen...I really only get it when I'm super stressed out and it feels like there's a hand in my abdomen that just wrings my insides and once it hits its peak, the pain lessens, and, just as the pain lessens, I feel that horrible gnawing/wringing pain again. It feels worse when I haven't eaten anything and when I do eat something, it seems to make the pain go away. I had always attributed it to stress and not eating when I should, maybe I should talk to my Dr.

for you!
Its never a bad thing to discuss any pain your having with your doctor. My pain radiated to my left shoulder. I actually went to the hospital once fearing I was having a heart attack. Everything came out fine on the cardio side of things and I told myself I just can't go on like this anymore. In retrospect I waited way too long thinking the same things you did. After a while I started getting really fearful about what could be causing it though and of course that created more stress, etc etc . . .lol Better to just go and get it looked at before you freak yourself out

The Following User Says Thank You to evona For This Useful Post:
saracidaltendencies (04-09-2008)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm glad you know what is going on now...sorry about no more coffee...dh had a scare in Dec with his heart...and he had to give up caffeine..he is a HUGE coffee drinker and he says decaf just isn't the same

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
evona (04-09-2008)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
...dh had a scare in Dec with his heart...and he had to give up caffeine..he is a HUGE coffee drinker and he says decaf just isn't the same
Agreed!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Listen, here is an old lady's perspective. I had to have emergency colon surgery in October because of diverticulitis/peritonis developed when it burst and I didn't know I even had it until the peritonitis almost killed me. Anyway, I had to have an ostomy bag all these months, which is a pain in the tush to deal with and sometimes a nightmare to travel with. I have to carefully watch what I eat so as not to irritate the colon so that it doesn't happen again, anything with caffeine is bad along with all soft drinks because the carbonation causes gas problems. With all that being said, I am alive and that is enough for me. I almost died over this as you could have if you had left it untreated. So look at it as a way that you protected your life. So you have to give up things, you are still here with us and can still knit up a storm and love your family and friends. I have always and will continue to have the outlook that there is always someone off worse than I so I should feel blessed, which I do. You have lots of friends here to help you in your struggles! Good luck to you always!

Donna
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
evona (04-10-2008)