Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Paid $20 to remove a splinter!
Yes, really.

Took our 4 year old dd to the playground the other day...one of those huge treated wood monstrosity of a "fun zone" kind of places. (It's ugly, but good golly...it's wicked fun!). Dd was chasing me up the stairs to the slide and wouldn't you know it...got a big ole splinter in her thumb. Two seconds after we got there!

When we got home later, we tried the old peroxide trick (with little slivers, just pour peroxide over it and it will bubble the sliver out!), but her splinter was to big (think triangular and we couldn't find the opening to get it out).

Dh and I sat on the floor with dd and tried to get it out with a needle and some tweezers, but she was hysterical and freaked out every time we tried to touch it. So we made an appointment with our family doctor.

HE USED A SCALPEL! And she didn't even flinch or whimper.

Stinker! It cost us a $20 copay to get it out, and everyone thinks we're nuts for taking her to the dr for a splinter, but hey, it had to come out. You can't just leave it in there.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. When I would get splinters my dad would have to hold me down while my mom used the tweezers to get it out since I would completly FREAK out! The neighbors probably thought my parents were beating me or something.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
eladine
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to eladine
Lol... y'know at times it's just how it goes... there i am in the kitchen as a child, crying because i got a splinter, and I start crying even harder when my dad approaches me with the tiniest, thinnest of sewing needles... he may as well have been holding a sharpened axe...

"Owowowowowowowowowowowowwwwwww" I go
"But I haven't even touched it yet" says Dad...
"Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!" Say I...
"All done" says Dad
"What?" Says me...

bless him! Sometimes it's just the thought of it more than the actual pain. Right?! Lol...
eladine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
When my brother and I were kids, our dad would use a needle-nose pliers to pull out our extremely loose baby teeth. We would get so anxious about as he gripped that little tooth and counted 1, 2 .. 3! And it only took a couple times to figure out that it was pulled out by 1 or 2!! (Painless as could be...)

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
my kids get them and you just get the tweezers and peroxide out and they go crazy...then your are trying to hold them and the tweezers and it's a big ol' mess...I don't blame you

we would get them growing up and wouldn't tell mom or dad...and then of course the skin would grow over and dad would approach us with his pocket knife ...it would have been so much easier and you would think that we would've learn this early on too (didn't)...to just let them know when we first got them...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
$20 is worth the sanity of getting it out safely. Been there done that. Daughter believed in her pediatrician so much I think she would have let him cut her arm off w/out a thought.
She had this splinter. Wouldn't let me touch it. Wouldn't let grandparents touch it.. so.. off to the Dr.. he had it out in 1 minute.. but made a big deal of how big a girl she was.. Big bandage..lol the whole deal.

He whispered to me afterward when I was stating I could have removed it.. .. it is the "Dr" factor.. I'm trained.. lol
I gave him a hug and he lol.
It was worth the co-pay.. had to do it a few times, and worth not having to try to hold a crying screaming child.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
evona
Working the Gusset

lol - I hear ya all. My daughter was the worst (as was I when I was a child). You would have to chase her around the house and hold her down while she yelled "I can't believe you would do this to your own daughter!" Oh boy what the neighbors must have thought. She was (is) quite dramatic!!!!!

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Sharly
Turning the Heel

My sweet Mom would always wait until I was asleep, then I would wake up all splinter-free She was awesome!!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I remember my mom sitting on me to get one out. She could never leave anything alone! It would drive her crazy until she messed with it. I also remember her sitting on my chest to get eyedrops in me. I am not a big baby and not a drama queen but I cannot put things into my eyes. I can touch them with my finger, though. I'll never wear contacts!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

The "Splinter Fairy" removes all of the splinters at our house
Crazy I know, but when my son had a splinter he would rather keep the splinter than allow us to get it out. We clean it and then the "Splinter Fairy" comes to get it while he sleeps (He is a deep sleeper!) You always know when the Splinter Fairy has been to you house because she leaves a Bandaid.
Now if the Splinter Fairy wasn't able to get out the spinter, I would gladly pay $20.

projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote