Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Better to pay $20 and get it out now than $100 at the ER when it gets all infected and really painful...

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Aww. Sounds like me when I was little. We had these tweezers specifically for splinters that had a little magnifying glass attached. I would have completely flipped if my dad ever used a needle.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Legally, as a nurse, I cannot remove a splinter that does not have a clear end sticking out, as a Mom, I can do my best.

I had one of my staff come to me with a BIG deep splinter in his thumb
told me he did not CARE, just take it OUT
I used my Cuticle scissors to get TO it, then just lifted it out of the notch. He said it hurt more to let go of it to SHOW me, than for me to actually take it out.

He trusts my medical advice now, we are buddies
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #14
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
My daughter (6) had a big 'ol splinter about 2 weeks ago. My mom and dad have old hard wood floors (we were visiting my parents) and she was running around barefoot and a piece of the floor ended up right in her heel. It was in pretty deep, none of the splinter was outside of the skin.

Initially, when she saw the tweezers, a sewing needle, and peroxide, she didn't want my mom or me going anywhere near her foot, but, after telling her she could help, she let us have a try at it. Eventually it got to the point where she herself was pushing back the skin with the sewing needle (which ended up being quite a bit of skin) while my mom and I took turns trying to grasp the splinter with the tweezers.

I just couldn't get over how brave she had been, poking her foot repeatedly with a needle while my mom and I tried to get it out with the tweezers! There's no way I would have done that to myself at age 6! I cried my eyes out over getting my ears pierced when I was 5...And, of course, my daughter didn't even flinch when she got her ears pieced...At the same age!!! LOL

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
Thank God for peroxide! Julianne & I were messing around earlier tonight and thought it would be fun to pour it in our belly buttons. We didn't get the foamy reaction we were expecting. We did giggle a lot.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #16
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
My sweet DH was an ER nurse for twenty years. He could get a splinter out of a kid before they knew what hit them. Would bring in a big metal glass of ice, have them hold it, or put their foot on it (whatever it took) then when the site was numb, he'd get it out.

I was an ER nurse also, for awhile, the only kid I could never work on was my own, lol. Always had to have his Dad handle his 'owies'.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Cynamar View Post
Thank God for peroxide! Julianne & I were messing around earlier tonight and thought it would be fun to pour it in our belly buttons. We didn't get the foamy reaction we were expecting. We did giggle a lot.

That is so funny!

You can't even tell today that dd had a splinter. It's just one little teeny tiny pink dot. I am really glad we have such an awesome dr. He is so good with her.

Our hardest thing was that she is surprisingly strong for a 4 year old. I was holdint her, and dh was holding just the hand and he couldn't hold it still long enough to get the needle in, let alone start moving the splinter.

Honestly, it was worth the $20. Just don't tell dh I said that!

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #18
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Best tweezers to remove splinters are the ones that come in a Swiss Army Knife, no kidding. They are super thin, almost razor sharp and can grab ahold of even the toughest splinter.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #19
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by stitchwitch View Post
Best tweezers to remove splinters are the ones that come in a Swiss Army Knife, no kidding. They are super thin, almost razor sharp and can grab ahold of even the toughest splinter.
I second that! Seriously, they are the best tweezers ever!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote