Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

The Dreaded YO
I have a request of Amy and don't know where I should post it so I'll do it here and see if anyone else could use this:

Would you kindly make a video showing how to knit the second row of a project that has yarn overs in it? I am sincerely a bonehead and cannot figure this out. I think it would help to see it done by someone who knows what they're doing. I have tried and tried until I'm ready to cry but I just do not understand the concept. I would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
All you do it treat it like any other stitch on the needle, and P or K it as the per the stitch pattern.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
wildirish
Ribbing the Cuff

As above, if this is a single YO just treat it as any other stitich. If this is a double YO, one of mine said to knit the first and purl the second.
wildirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

You see, I don't understand what you're talking about. When you say "treat it the same as any other stitch", does that mean when you're coming back on that row that you try to pick up that stitch that is wrapped around the needle and knit or purl it? And then, how much of the stitch is dropped from the holding needle to the knitting needle once you've done the stitch? I've tried this and it just makes a mess. It would help to see someone do it. Do you have a link to another site that may show this?

I'm honestly not trying to be difficult, and I'm sure that once you've mastered it it's totally easy, but I cannot wrap my head around this one (pardon the pun!)
Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
wildirish
Ribbing the Cuff

If this is a single YO, then if you are purling the second row, just place your needle through the loop like the others.

If this is a double YO, purl the first part of the loop and slid it off, then the second part of the YO knit and slide off.

I looked but didn't see videos, except ones showing how to actually make a YO.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I can (sort of) get the single YO, but it's the slipping off bit and double YOs. OY!

So, you do a YO. Come back on next row - stick needle in the wrapped loop and purl (or knit) - then slide the stitch off. However, since it's a YO the next stitch is kind of part of that wrapped stitch. Does that come off too? Or is the next stitch not really a stitch but just the piece of yarn draped over the needle, not really secured to it?

I know what you mean - I've looked for other videos too and can't find any, that's why I made the request.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
wildirish
Ribbing the Cuff

LOL! You would knit or purl the stitch before the looped over one, then the same for the loop, then knit or purl the one after it too. It is an open holed increase.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Open Holed Increase? ACK!! Each word separately is completely understood, wildirish. My brain hurts, but I'll give it a go again when I get home.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
wildirish
Ribbing the Cuff

I understand. A yo, just leaves a "gap" after you do the next row. Like in lace patterns. If my camera would play nice I will try and make a small video, since I still can't find any online LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to wildirish For This Useful Post:
Sunshine's Mom (04-10-2008)
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
ok. let's see if I can break this down. a YO is only a piece of yarn that is looped around the needle once. it's an increase that leaves a hole. On the row after a YO, when you come to the yo, it will look like yarn draped over the needle. if you're doing stockinette lace, you would just purl into the top of that loop and slide the loop off of the needle. for example, if you're beginning a piece of stockinette lace, let's say you cast on 10 stitches and on row one you K5, YO, K5. after completing row 1, you would have 11 stitches on the needle. on row 2, you would just purl each of the 11 stitches.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax3303 For This Useful Post:
Viridian (04-10-2008)